Greetings!

I've been lurking the forums for quite a while, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all this information. But it's so great that a place like this exists! I'm hoping for some tips, as I'm a bit lost.. I apologize in advance for any occurrences of poor grammar (I'm Norwegian), and the wall of text!

I've been dying my naturally blond hair black, for quite a few years. I've also been straightening it once or twice a week, for years. After doing a low carb, high protein diet for about 1,5 years, my hair (and nails!) has been growing incredibly fast, and at the end, I had to dye my roots every ten to fourteen days, to avoid looking like I was balding. I got fed up, and decided to gradually lighten my hair so I can end up with my natural color, but, I got impatient, and bleached it twice in a week (Oh, how I regret it..), and dyed it a medium brown. Obviously, my hair is utterly destroyed, and I had to cut off around three inches of cotton candy. My hair won't even curl properly anymore (I think I'm a 2c). I'm not sure how long it was, as I never measured it, but it did reach my armpits when straightened. Mind you, my hair is so thick, I have to cut it in layers to avoid sweating to death during summer, and the layers just makes it look even drier and frizzier! I was, and am still, aiming for waist length when straight (but man, have I made my journey longer!).

I'm trying to leave the straightener alone, and keep my hair in a bun. I only shampoo my roots, and only once per week, the other two washes are conditioner only, and I use a treatment overnight about weekly. I wash in lukewarm water, rinse with cold, and use a leave in conditioner and some hair oil. I never blow dry.
My hair has now started to curl a bit, but only the hair 'underneath', so to speak. Y'know, the locks closest to your neck. The strands on the rest of my head are still all.. Rough. Like squiggly lines, in lack of a better term.

So, questions for you knowledgeable people;
* Is my hair procedure as of now OK?
* I suspect my hair is lacking protein, as it isn't really breaking when combing, but it will stretch quite a bit before it snaps when pulled at. True? Any good tips on home-made or buyable treatments to improve this?
* What's the difference between a hair mask, a hair treatment and a deep conditioner?

I'm quite aware that I've messed my hair up badly, and there is no going back. I'm just hoping there is something I can do to make it look healthier for a few months, till I can cut a few inches off without getting a pixie cut.

Thank you for bearing with me.

Best wishes, -A