Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red palm oil stopped hair fall

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Red palm oil stopped hair fall

Quote Originally Posted by Lilelfen1 View Post
    Resurrecting this thread. Lol. Red palm oil is awesome, IMHO. My hair is not a fan of coconut, so RPO is my substitute. Plus, my holy grail hemp started leving my hair plastic-y feeling. RPO is Nice as a leave in, and, because it is usually solid-ish, it's easier to control the amount. For those curious, my hair is very fine, hennaed and I lost an awful lot of it after the Bean was born. a tony bot does wonders. I just started using again, and now I don't know why I ever stopped. Enjoy, Ladies and Gents!!!
    I've used it as a pre-poo, but never as a leave-in because of the red/orange stain that this oil leaves on everything it touches.
    How do you handle the staining, Lilelfen1?

Account Closed by Member Request

Pushing this to ask specifically about what differences betweepalm and coconut oil can be expected.Which one of the twowould you decribe as more intense/softening/helping with moisture retention?
    Im more i to liquid oils and a jar of coconut oil lasts me forever, so i dont want more unused stuff lingering in my bathroom. Is it worth having both?

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MINAKO View Post
    Pushing this to ask specifically about what differences betweepalm and coconut oil can be expected.Which one of the twowould you decribe as more intense/softening/helping with moisture retention?
    Im more i to liquid oils and a jar of coconut oil lasts me forever, so i dont want more unused stuff lingering in my bathroom. Is it worth having both?
    Honestly, for minimalist hair-care, I'd stick to coconut oil. Granted, these 2 oils have different fatty acid compositions: palm oil is about 43% palmitic acid and 37% oleic acid, etc while coconut oil is 52% lauric acid and 19% myristic, etc - but they both do similar things for me. Coconut oil is so much easier to use, because it won't stain everything red-orange. I don't use red palm oil as a leave-in - it stains hands and clothing big time.
    I love cooking with red palm oil though, because it has excellent nutritional profile: lots of tocotrienol (this type of vitamin E is rare in oils) and lots of beta-carotenes. Excellent for skin and for overall health, of course!

Account Closed by Member Request

Thank you meteor, you always have the most in depth information at hand.
    I see how the staining would be problematic, even for me with black hair and wearing mostly black clothes, i dont want my sofa or pillows to have a reddish cast, lol.
    But if its good to ingest and to cook with i will probably buy a jar anyways and try to use it in my pre wash. Good thing that theres always a possibility to use oils in the kitchen if they are not used on hair. In fact i dont remember the last time i bought an oil because of a recipe i wanted to try. Well, pumpkin seed tastes amazing, but that definitely stains everything it touches as well, haha.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

^ Thanks a lot, MINAKO! Yes, it's kind of interesting how so many good oils have this deep, rich color - must be those antioxidants.
    Red palm oil is one of those "super-foods" du jour, ever since Dr. Oz blessed it, I see it sold as a supplement in health food stores in capsules. I'd rather just cook with it! You can get it for a very good price in African shops and many ethnic stores. It stains all food lovely red/orange/yellow, but I can live with it.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    ^ Thanks a lot, MINAKO! Yes, it's kind of interesting how so many good oils have this deep, rich color - must be those antioxidants.
    Red palm oil is one of those "super-foods" du jour, ever since Dr. Oz blessed it, I see it sold as a supplement in health food stores in capsules. I'd rather just cook with it! You can get it for a very good price in African shops and many ethnic stores. It stains all food lovely red/orange/yellow, but I can live with it.
    Ever since Dr. Oz blessed it
    A good read. I find coconut oil and castor oil blended are great together. Neither one leaves any residual colour and both are antibacterial/antifungal

Length
    20 in/18 in/100+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Lightbulb Re: Red palm oil stopped hair fall

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    I've used it as a pre-poo, but never as a leave-in because of the red/orange stain that this oil leaves on everything it touches.
    How do you handle the staining, Lilelfen1?
    I am so, soooo sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have not been on for a very long time, due to mama duties and life. Forgive me???
    As to your question, I used very, very little. A tiny tip -of -the -nail scraping as a leave-in ( smaller than a petite pea), because my hair is so very, very fine. Not enough to really stain anything. Haven't done in a while, though, because: Life. It seems I have very little time/forget things more these days, clearly. Lol. Perhaps it is time to start again. HIH and please for give my oh-so-tardy reply.
    Last edited by Lilelfen1; November 15th, 2016 at 11:42 AM.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lilelfen1 View Post
    I am so, soooo sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have not been on for a very long time, due to mama duties and life. Forgive me???
    As to your question, I used very, very little. A tiny tip -of -the -nail scraping as a leave-in ( smaller than a petite pea), because my hair is so very, very fine. Not enough to really stain anything. Haven't done in a while, though, because: Life. It seems I have very little time/forget things more these days, clearly. Lol. Perhaps it is time to start again. HIH and please for give my oh-so-tardy reply.
    No, how can somebody forgive that??
    No, but seriously, there is absolutely nothing to apologize for at all, Lilelfen1, and thank you so very much for sharing your helpful tips for applying the oil! They are really great!
    I must admit I'm only cooking with red palm oil these days, since it's excellent for Vit.A. And I agree that regular oiling can just take too much time for a really busy lifestyle. And I'm skipping it a lot, too.