Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about digital perms?

Length
    14/19.5/28
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

Default Re: What do you think about digital perms?

i definately think you should think long and hard about getting a perm before you do, and when you think you are ready to get a perm than experiment with no heat and all the other healthy things that are discussed on the board.

i think you will be a lot happier if you try every other option before jumping to getting a perm

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I agree with others here. My hair went from straight with a few sorta waves to full out wavy, just with change in routine and more moisture and less cones. Work with making the hair healthier first and you might be surprised to find a different texture. I certainly was.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I notice that you have fine hair. It says in the article I just read that a digital perm is NOT recommended for fine hair. So there you have it. Don't do anything else damaging to your hair. Concentrate on improving the condition with deep moisture treatments and gentle handling. You will be rewarded in time with lovely, shiny, soft waves.

Length
    shdlr/30.5/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

The Wiki article says that the digital perm requires blowfrying to style incomparison with the standard perm which can air dry with gel. Even more damage there.
    Just keep growing....

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    In my opinion, a perm is a perm is a perm. And I have never in my life met someone (myself included) who has had a perm and didn't end up hating it and spending more time fighting the curl out of it.
    I'd have to agree that a perm is a perm. This one involves chemicals *and* heat, which to me equals even more damage.

I do have to disagree, though, with hating a perm. Back in the big hair days of the 80s, I spiral permed my anywhere between BSL and waist length hair and absolutely loved it. I only quit perming because I got pregnant and didn't want the to be around the chemicals. Because I didn't perm more than once a year, and took good care of my hair, the damage I incurred was probably as minimal as it could be.

So you might love it, but it will damage your hair.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    30/30/32+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I've never heard of a digital perm etiher. Any heat or chemicals are still damaging to the hair. I have had perms for the past 15 years (one every 2 years) I won't perm again. I want to finally see my virgin hair. Perms are bad.

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Try some of the different ideas presented on LHC, I used to think I had pretty freaky, fried hair. But that was from brushing it so hard and blow drying it and whatever else. I now have nice soft waves, the day after washing my hair looks almost identicle to many of the pics I found on Google images except I have a bit more body and wave.

You might be surprised what hair type you have once you add some moisture and gentle care to your hair.
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Eeeeeek! From what I saw on the wiki, that sounds scary, worse than regular perm. And don't forget, perm is a nightmare when it starts growing out, I've heard of a lot of people having to do a major cut.

Growing Long Blonde Silk AquaViolet1973's Avatar
    Length
    ?/long/40"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post

And I have never in my life met someone (myself included) who has had a perm and didn't end up hating it and spending more time fighting the curl out of it.
    I have had many perms, and I have one now, and I do not hate it at all. I've always liked the results of my perms.
    AquaViolet
    My Blog...AquaViolet's Hair and Life. My blog is now only viewable by Friends and Contacts. AquaViolet...Pictures of my Angel Click on the pictures to make them larger.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I'm glad to have met people who love their perms

As evidenced by a recent poster who permed then straightened her hair in a day's time, I'll change my statement to LOTS AND LOTS of people who get perms end up hating them, whether the don't like the curls, don't know how to care for them, don't like the upkeep, and don't like the growing out.

I, for one, had a spiral perm when I was like 12. The only direction I had to care for it? Use a pick. This is coming from my stylist aunt who did it. Never was I able to get a damn pick through that beast and never did I use leave ins or any other product. Obviously I was a frizzball.