Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: henna roots only

Default henna roots only

I apologize now if I have missed threads on this topic but when I tried a search it came back no matches..

I understand how to do my roots only what I am not understanding is how to wrap my head and keep the henna off the length since my hair is almost shoulder length and shorter towards the top.

Also I was wondering if those of you who use Red Raj could post some pics since I am new I can't check albums

Thanks so much

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: henna roots only

I use red raj.

This is my hair pre-henna http://instagram.com/p/N94l-HnbJO/
    Before oxidation:

After oxidation.

As for applying to roots only, can you get your hands on an old empty dye bottle with a pointed nozzle? Most people seem to use that and a dye brush.

Hope those pics helped.

Thank you, I love your color...I think I am going to try the Red Raj...I have a color bottle and I also have a bowl and brush, how does everyone wrap their hair and not get henna on the length when hair is short?

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Just section your hair off really nice like, and apply simply to the roots.
    You could always put your hair in a pony tail, to direct the rest of your hair away, and put on a shower cap. Neat sections and parting would be key here if you don't want any other hair to touch it.
    I have never done roots only with henna but that is exactly how I would do it.
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EvenAngelsCry View Post
    Thank you, I love your color...I think I am going to try the Red Raj...I have a color bottle and I also have a bowl and brush, how does everyone wrap their hair and not get henna on the length when hair is short?
    If you're really worried about that, maybe coat the rest of your hair in conditioner heavily, that way if it does get on your length, it's not a big deal as the conditioner block most of it.

Otherwise, I'd just do it exactly how akilina described!

Thank you both so much

What I do to keep the henna from the length is tie sections of hair in little pony tails then wrap the pony tail with plastic wrap, after I use the dye bottle and squeeze the paste under the roots of every little pony tail, then I wrap all the hair with plastic wrap over the wraped pony tails.... I don't know if I explained this properly but that is the only way I found to keep the paste from touching my length as my hair is not very long either,but it is not very short... Hope this is helpful

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've tried most techniques, and I can't make ANY of them work.
    In the end, my henna covers my whole crown anyway. I can't section any of it as the henna clumps it all up.

I just try to mush it in as best I can. If I miss a small section at the back of my head, I 'll hopefully get it next time.
    When I wrap it up, I make sure to wrap my length first to protect it from the henna.

The overlapping of my crown was an issue when I used Red Raj every time, as it does darken quicker & builds up to burgundy.
    I now use Yemeni, which doesn't darken it further & stays ruby red. Do miss the rose shade of Red Raj though.

Type
    3a/M/ii

I braid my hair and put it up before hennaing. I make no effort to keep henna off my length; in fact the last bits that I can't get into the root shooter go on my braids.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

When I henna my roots, I usually just do a tint, because it's easier to get through my hair. I just mix in some conditioner- and I usually just focus where amy hair parts, the nape of my neck, and my hairline.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length