Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Mousse/Gel Destroys Hair?

Default Hair Mousse/Gel Destroys Hair?

Is it ok to use them for days I need my hair to be... tamed, etc?

Or do they still cause significant damage? And if so, which hair products are safe for such occasions that requires grooming?

MANY THANKS!

Length
    BSL/Clssc/Thigh
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Hair Mousse/Gel Destroys Hair?

I use gel after every wash (I follow the Curly Girl method). First I scrunch in some leave in conditioner, then I seal, and then I scrunch in quite a lot of gel. All when it's still wet. When it's gotten dry, I scrunch the hard gel out and my hair becomes soft again. I can tell you it doesn't damage my hair AT ALL. It gives me frizz free curls (it holds the hair in place while it's drying, and when you let your hair dry in a certain ''position'' it stays that way (to an extent)), shiny hair, and definition.

I guess gel only damages your hair if it has harmful ingredients
    2c/3a M iii (5.9'' circumference), medium porosity, high elasticity. BSL~MBL~Waist~Hip~BCL~TBL~Classic~Mid-thigh

Length
    Waist/Clasc/?
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Good ones have mostly conditioning ingredients and some polymers (natural or synthetic) to hold the curl. The only time it may cause damage is if you try to comb/brush it out after it dries but that is not recommended.

Length
    17/42/30

Why not try flaxseed gel?

Goal met and exceeded, now what?
    I have curly virgin hair which is currently tailbone length un-stretched.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Beborani View Post
    The only time it may cause damage is if you try to comb/brush it out after it dries but that is not recommended.
    THIS!!! I thoroughly wrecked my hair by using mousse and then brushing it out. It took me years to grow out the damage.

Length
    APL/APL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I second that some gels may have harmful ingredients. Also, it seems that some hair products make your hair look more moisterized (tamed) but end up drying it out in the long run. On the other hand, there are probably gels with moisturizing ingredients that are good for your hair.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Like Emanuelle (hi!), I follow the CG method and use quite a lot of gel because of the wind here. If you avoid gels with drying ingredients and silicones, you shouldn't have a problem and the gel will wash right out.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFnatic View Post
    Is it ok to use them for days I need my hair to be... tamed, etc?

Or do they still cause significant damage? And if so, which hair products are safe for such occasions that requires grooming?

MANY THANKS!
    Damaging or not totally depends on the ingredients of the specific product, agree with the others don't brush out styling products. Gentle natural alternatives include flaxseed or okra jelly, some use aloe vera gel but being a humectant (attracts water) it is not suitable for all dew points.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'd try to get one that conditions.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    THIS!!! I thoroughly wrecked my hair by using mousse and then brushing it out. It took me years to grow out the damage.
    same here. i'm still waiting for my hair to heal as it grows out. i dont use hair spray, mousse, or gel anymore. maybe wax would work though?