Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going from virgin to dyed?

Length
    Chin/hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Default Going from virgin to dyed?

I am strongly considering dyeing my virgin-except-for-tips hair red.

I want stories! Did anyone here take the plunge and dye your virgin hair? Do you regret it? It would take me 4-5 years to grow it back out so it's a big decision.

This is a DYE question, not a Henna one .

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Going from virgin to dyed?

Quote Originally Posted by smrider View Post
    I am strongly considering dyeing my virgin-except-for-tips hair red.

I want stories! Did anyone here take the plunge and dye your virgin hair? Do you regret it? It would take me 4-5 years to grow it back out so it's a big decision.

This is a DYE question, not a Henna one .
    If you are dyeing, and not bleaching it won't be too bad, you won't have to cover it with more dye to get it out. What color are you going for?

~going natural~

Length
    Chin/hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Something like this:
    Last edited by smrider; August 5th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Oh yeah, you can totally get that without even needing bleach if your hair is porous enough. I say if it's something you REALLY think you want, and won't get tired of and don't mind touching up, go for it. If you don't want the upkeep of a fully dyed head of hair you should try maybe highlights or ombre color that will grow out and still look good. My friend swears by special effects for lasting color without having to bleach. I haven't dyed my hair in about a year and a half but if i were to dye it right now, it's the brand i'd use. One thing i suggest is to wait a couple of days, or maybe even a few weeks and see by then if it's still something you really want. My question is: what is so special about having virgin hair unless you're gonna sell it?

p.s. that is the color i want but would have to do some serious bleaching to get you are so lucky!

~going natural~

Length
    */*/*
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Be forewarned, red hair dye is a pain in the behind. I love having red hair. Everyone in my family loves me with red hair. But t is constant upkeep as it fades very fast (especially the colour you are going for). So I always end up giving it up after about 3 months as I typically would have to dye it 6 times during that time to keep the colour even somewhat close to what I want. If using box dye it will lift your natural hair colour with peroxide. If you aren't ready for that level of commitment perhaps consider deposit only dye or dyes like manic panic. You may not be able to get that red without some lightening, but you should be able to get something close.
    Enjoying Short HairLong hair will return eventually

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    Be forewarned, red hair dye is a pain in the behind. I love having red hair. Everyone in my family loves me with red hair. But t is constant upkeep as it fades very fast (especially the colour you are going for). So I always end up giving it up after about 3 months as I typically would have to dye it 6 times during that time to keep the colour even somewhat close to what I want. If using box dye it will lift your natural hair colour with peroxide. If you aren't ready for that level of commitment perhaps consider deposit only dye or dyes like manic panic. You may not be able to get that red without some lightening, but you should be able to get something close.
    She's absolutely right about the fading, i forgot to mention that! Mine turned to a light brown after only 3 or 4 washes. Are you sure you're completely opposed to henna?

~going natural~

Length
    BSL/26.5"/HIP
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Maybe you could try a semi-permanent first to see how you like it?

I'll tell you, though, that I dyed my hair more or less that colour for two years. It fades insanely quickly. My hair is naturally light brown/dark blonde, and I used a Feria box dye before eventually going to a salon. I didn't bleach, but the dye lightened and damaged my hair. No matter what I did (cold showers, sulfate-free, CO-washing, anything!) the colour would fade to a brassy yellow-orange after two weeks - or less. It's a gorgeous colour, but be ready for serious upkeep if you plan to keep it that way!

Also, you'll want to keep in mind that such a vivid colour will change the way people interact with you to some extent. You may feel that people look at you more; this happened to me and was disconcerting until I realised it was just the brightness of the colour catching their eyes, not any personal thing.

Length
    Chin/hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sweetestpoison View Post
    She's absolutely right about the fading, i forgot to mention that! Mine turned to a light brown after only 3 or 4 washes. Are you sure you're completely opposed to henna?
    I'm not completely opposed but I don't think I can get as red as I want with henna.

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by smrider View Post
    I'm not completely opposed but I don't think I can get as red as I want with henna.
    hmmm yeah i thought you said your hair was red so i was just going with that but in your albums it looks brown, and in the growth progress album it looks like really dark brown.

~going natural~

Length
    Chin/hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Yeah, my hair is med-dark brown (probably less dark than the progress pictures display) with natural blonde highlights. I don't mind if its a darker RED red (like an intense auburn), I just don't want orangey or maroonish red.