Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! My super fine thin hair just won't grow!

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Help! My super fine thin hair just won't grow!

I'm probably not reading this carefully enough so please correct me:

1. Last hair cut, 2 years ago and NO trims since?

2. Has it ever been long

3. Are you dieting or on medication which effects hair growth.

4. How long is your mothers hair or sisters. Getting an idea of genetics which play a really big part.

5. What supplements have you tried or lotions eg monistat?

If that's what you're saying then you mean it hasn't grown in two years?

edit - what age range do you fall in? Do you dye at all.

Suggestions:

1. Try whey protein. Can't hurt.

2. Biotin helped me grow better nails and I think hair.

3. Monistat helped thicken my hair shafts but that is probably a combination of supplements, whey protein, monistat and better care.
    Hair September 2015

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oh yes, the trimming is a very good point. I've had periods of almost zero growth because my ends were breaking off. My hair really does grow its best if I get regular small trims.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

If your hair was about BSL length when you had it permed, and you cut back to APL, you still have (guessing) about 12" of perm-damaged hair left (assuming your entire length was permed, that is). I suspect that hair, which is now your ends, is breaking off. My best advice would be to do regular trims until the damage is all gone, while babying your hair as much as possible in the meantime. When the damage is gone--and it'll take a while, so be patient, because it will be gone eventually--you'll have completely healthy hair and it will grow!

Length
    27 in/33 in/Hip
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

I use Original Mane & tail horse shampoo. My hair was stuck just past midback until 2010 AT age 54. Since high school. It grew to waist. And now its at hip. wearing it up helps. I read online that dehydrated chopped onion & dehydrated minced onion makes the hair thicker. I put a capful in my shampoo. My hair felt thicker. I have used both. Certain grocery stores & wall mart sell horse shampoo. Hope this helps.

Length
    17/24/waist
    Type
    1a/F/i

First off let me say I measured my hair this weekend and lo and behold it has grown!!! It is now 20.5" so in 2 years it has grown about 3.5". It has not grown the average of .5" month but it is growing albeit slow. I will try to post some pics.

1. Last hair cut, 2 years ago and NO trims since? - none

2. Has it ever been long - yes, waist - tailbone length.

3. Are you dieting or on medication which effects hair growth. - no dieting - estrogen

4. How long is your mothers hair or sisters. Getting an idea of genetics which play a really big part. - mothers - fine, thin and shoulder length. Sisters - waist length, fine but healthy.

5. What supplements have you tried or lotions eg monistat? - tried eo's, Cassia and coconut oil have not tried monistat.

If that's what you're saying then you mean it hasn't grown in two years?

edit - what age range do you fall in? - almost 50.

Do you dye at all. - NO

Length
    waist/TB/long

It has grown some. I bet once any remaining damaged parts are cut off that it will come in more quickly. You may be having breakage because of damage. If it were me, I would cut off any remaining damage to stop further breakage.

Just hang in there. In time you will have the long, healthy hair that you want!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Do I read correctly that since had it permed and cut, you've had the hair relaxed? Relaxers are as bad as perms in terms of damage and breakage. I wouldn't make any judgments about how your hair is or isn't growing until that's fully grown out and cut off.

In the meantime, do take care of yourself. Hair often doesn't grow if your body isn't healthy, which means that you need to get your protein consumption, iron, and thyroid all under control.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!