Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amish Hairpins

Question Amish Hairpins

I'm looking at some Amish Hairpins and thinking about ordering some because I've heard a great deal about how nice they are while reading various threads here.

They are offered in several lengths and so I'm wondering if anyone who uses them might have some opinions on the various lengths. Do most of you who use them use various different lengths for different hairstyles? My hair is neither terribly thick or thin and I do half-ups and french twists a lot. I also have a daughter-in-law with much thicker hair who I often buy hair toys for and sometimes share large orders of things like these type of items.

Anyway, if there is anyone out there who can give me some buying guidance I would appreciate it. Also, if there is another site or similar item you prefer, I would love to hear about that as well.

My current hairtoys are sticks, flexi-8's and hairscroos. I really like the hairscroos but I want something that will lay flat to my head when I work out because my head sometimes has to come in contact with the floor. (Yoga)

Default Re: Amish Hairpins

Just measure the diameter of your bun, and order those that are slightly shorter. The 2" ones are too short for me, however they work great as "tuck-lock-away" tool

I just ordered 3 sizes (they will last a life time anyway), 2, 2.5 and 3.

Length
    21-30/36/42
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I use the two-inch hair pin for the first round of my cinnabun, then I use the 2.5-inch hair pins for the outer round. I don't have enough hair for a 3-inch pin.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the things to stay in my hair for more than a couple of hours. I am either not using them correctly or they just aren't meant to be. And when I do use them, sometimes their silveriness pokes out and shows. I'd rather have brass hairpins that match my hair. I may get some brass wire and try to make my own . . .

July 06 : 21-30 inches, layered . . . Dec 09: 36 inches, still fighting the taper.

Are you squeezing the tines together as you insert them?

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Make a bun and measure the diameter. Your pins need to be a bit shorter than your bun size. I think at your length the 2.5" is probably just right. I don't think the 2" ones are meant for buns, OK maybe a cute little half-up or something, nothing bigger than a golf ball. I can never get pins to stay in French twist, but perhaps my hair is too much for them.
    Last edited by sapphire-o; July 1st, 2008 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks for the replies. This is very helpful.

Length
    24"/32"/?""
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I just got these and really love them..they really hold hair buns nicely. I got the 3" and the
    2"( for my daughters hair) I gave some to my mother who has her hair a little past her shoulders. She has started wearing her hair in a bun and they have been very comfortable for her as well. I really find they hold hair very nicely and do not give me a headaches..I have been wearing these instead of some of my new hair sticks I got..

Length
    21-30/36/42
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by eadwine View Post
    Are you squeezing the tines together as you insert them?
    I've tried that, but it's difficult to both squeeze the pin and make sure it goes through the scalp hair, into the bun, scalp hair, bun etc. the required amount to hold my bun to my scalp . . .

July 06 : 21-30 inches, layered . . . Dec 09: 36 inches, still fighting the taper.

Length
    pixie/43/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Can you use this type of pins to hold a coronet braid? I've tried bobby pins, and they are such a pain to get out of my hair without pulling.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Julya, yes, they work great for that, I prefer the shorter ones for pinning up braids.

I have three different lengths of Amish pins, 2, 2.5 and 3", I think, and I've found them all very usable for different styles.