Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for putting hair up?

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Options for putting hair up?

My situation is,I am on a fairly tight budget and hair sticks/forks are somewhat hard to purchase in my country.I have a friend who likes to work with wood and he made me some toys for a fair price,but right now he is busy with other things and I feel like I desperately need something new in order to keep me interested in keeping this furry herring on my head long-ish in other words, to keep myself from cutting.

Is anybody else in a similar situation? Are there any non damaging things to keep hair up with,besides sticks? I know claw clips,but I don't know how can I make them hold the bun.
    I wish I'd know some pretty self-hold updos.
    I also tried making my own sticks by using a sharpener on actual chopsticks,but they don't slide well into hair.Can I do something to make them slide in better?

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Options for putting hair up?

If you sand chopsticks down with very fine sandpaper and then oil or wax them, (whichever you prefer the finish of, there are various different ones) they are absolutely fine. I sand the ends to a point too, I dont sharpen them. I have two of mine in today and they are perfectly smooth . You can decorate the ends with carving or notches too if you want.

I'll see if I can show you a picture later .

Shoulder APL BSL Waist Hip TBL

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

What about pretty scrunchies or satin covered head bands from eBay? They are super cheap and can be used alongside Spin Pins if needed. Or some brightly coloured satin or silk ribbon in a braid?
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    chin/hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Also, to keep yourself excited about your hair, try new updos like crown braids/coronet braids (require bobby pins, but still hair-friendly), or spruce up your usual buns with accent braids or lace braiding?

There's a self-made hair toys thread somewhere here - perhaps you can check that out and ask people for advice re making your own toys.

Length
    2/29/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

What about spin-pins? They're fairly inexpensive and amazing for buns. And pretty invisible, too.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (S. Beckett)

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I use spin pins. You could get some hardwood--oak or maple--dowel rod from the hardware store, cut and sand down?
    Crochet hooks from the craft store work in a pinch. I've also heard of members bending double pointed knitting needles around pipes to make 2-prong forks, and wiring beads and things to them?

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Oh boy, so many options: using paranda to braid and bun (yarn is pretty cheap over here, not sure how it is over at your place), maybe twin French braids with ribbons (you can pick some up for like a buck at a craft store usually), two small claw clips to hold a bun from two sides, just braids and elastics (if you use them) or ribbons.

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub” - Proverb

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Arien View Post
    If you sand chopsticks down with very fine sandpaper and then oil or wax them, (whichever you prefer the finish of, there are various different ones) they are absolutely fine. I sand the ends to a point too, I dont sharpen them. I have two of mine in today and they are perfectly smooth . You can decorate the ends with carving or notches too if you want.

I'll see if I can show you a picture later .
    One fork my friend made me was oiled,I believe,but it still sort of snagged in my hair.I guess I should try wax,then?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    What about pretty scrunchies or satin covered head bands from eBay? They are super cheap and can be used alongside Spin Pins if needed. Or some brightly coloured satin or silk ribbon in a braid?
    Ooh,that's actually a nice idea! I borrowed my sisters scrunchie right now,it is very comfortable and looks so,ballerina,eh .Slipped out of my hair easily though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lippytoes View Post
    Also, to keep yourself excited about your hair, try new updos like crown braids/coronet braids (require bobby pins, but still hair-friendly), or spruce up your usual buns with accent braids or lace braiding?

There's a self-made hair toys thread somewhere here - perhaps you can check that out and ask people for advice re making your own toys.
    Not long enough for a coronet braid yet.I like to put accent braids in my hair,but I have very few choices with what I am going to make that bun hold with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    What about spin-pins? They're fairly inexpensive and amazing for buns. And pretty invisible, too.
    They seem not to sell them where I live

Quote Originally Posted by browneyedsusan View Post
    I use spin pins. You could get some hardwood--oak or maple--dowel rod from the hardware store, cut and sand down?
    Crochet hooks from the craft store work in a pinch. I've also heard of members bending double pointed knitting needles around pipes to make 2-prong forks, and wiring beads and things to them?
    Sounds like a nice crafty project! Must try! I wonder if I can find double pointed needles at a reasonable price here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post
    Oh boy, so many options: using paranda to braid and bun (yarn is pretty cheap over here, not sure how it is over at your place), maybe twin French braids with ribbons (you can pick some up for like a buck at a craft store usually), two small claw clips to hold a bun from two sides, just braids and elastics (if you use them) or ribbons.
    Do you just use the paranda to hold the bun up by itself? Also,regarding claw clips,I figure I should slide them in so that they hold both the bun and some scalp hair,am I right ??

Type
    1b/F/ii

I am in a similar position to you, I used to always wear my hair down but I am now trying out more styles.
    Sock buns are great (youtube it) and look professional, I don't think they are damaging to the hair at all.
    Channels I use for inspiration:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cerinebabyyish
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon

Most of those styles all you need are bobby pins and small elastics
    At BSL, Goal: Waist
    ]
    APL, BSL, MBL (by Dec-2013), Waist and beyond...

Length
    SL/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I'm about to buy some paint brushes (cheap ones that I wouldn't actually use for painting), pull off the brush part, and make hair sticks out of those. I've also made a set of fork/pins from the double-pointed knitting needles, and I'm a big fan of parandas. If you can find yarn, you can make one. Or strips of silk. Some people have even made them with floss and beads, and those look beautiful too.

Other things I've used for hair sticks - letter openers, pretty pens, those small glitter wands with the water and glitter in them, find a good-size stick in the woods and strip the bark and sand it. Next time I'm at the beach I'm on the lookout for driftwood for this purpose, pencils, an actual fork. Check out the self-made hair toys thread.
    Lady Vrindi of the Shining Sea of Waves of the order of the Long Haired Knights!
    www.theravenandthelotus.com