Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Shea Butter

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Shea Butter

I tried this today on my ends and baby hairs. I got mine off ebay last year but didnt care much for it then, I guess I used way too much and it went greasy.

Today I used a bit the size of a match stick head, maybe a teeny bit more and rubbed my hands together and put on my damp ends and lightly over the canopy.

Much better results, less really is more with shea butter. My hair is soft, shiny and the curl has really come out with it.

Mine is whipped (its white) mixed with jojoba and billberries, smells wonderful.

I also like it on my face, it makes it so soft.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

A question: what does natural shea butter smell like?
    It sounds like some people really dislike it.
    I might be ordering some from a soapmaking supply online store soon, and I'd like an idea of the smell so I can order EO's that blend with it's scent.
    Would it blend well with woody/herbal scents?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

That's a very good question...

Nutty milk. That's the best description I can think of! I don't think it's a particularly bad smell, but it's not particularly appealing either. Woody or herbal scents would probably blend fine, but citrus smells are usually best for disguising a smell you don't like because they sort of cut through other smells.

Banned
    On the Border of Faery. (Faery Isle Of Morar.)
    Length
    18 In/22 In/Class
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I buy my Shea Butter at l'occitane, it is 100% pure Shea Butter.

I love to use Kimo's Shea Butter mix.

I mix 5 Oz. Shea Butter, 4 Oz. aloe vera gel and 2 Oz. almond oil. I heat the Shea Butter until very soft, then add the almond oil and mix, finally add the aloe vera gel and mix until smooth texture. then place into a plastic bottle and use on hair, face and body.

My hair always feels so soft when i use it. specially when i smooth it on wet hair just after combing wet to remove tangles. it's perfect for deep moisturizing my ends.

I use 1 dime sized glob on just combed wet hair, from ends to crown and either bun wet or let air dry before going to bed. when i wake up i either comb my hair to detangle or brush with a BBB before bunning for work.
    Last edited by dalriada-lady; January 28th, 2009 at 01:10 AM.

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I recently bought some shea butter and fell in love. It's NOW brand, came in a 7 oz. tub and is a purple container. It cost $9.99 at the local health food store. I went on their site to find a local place. It's white and the container says 100% shea. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's refined, unrefined, etc... I tried emailing the company, but still haven't heard back three weeks later. Does anyone else know if it is refined, unrefined, other?

Whatever it is, it's been so wonderful. I love it on my face. I'm in my 40's and still have "monthly" acne, yuck, but I've noticed if I use this on my face, it's not only made my face very very soft, but also helped reduce the acne!

In my hair, I have to be careful not to over do it. The first time I tried, it felt great, but looked greasy. But that was my fault, I used a lot! Moderation is the best way, I've found.

Length
    35cm/86cm/100cm
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Would it blend well with woody/herbal scents?
    I've smelt vanilla and a Frankincense and myrrh and they have both worked really well. I'd think that woody and herbal scents would work as well.
    "I can't stand makeup commercials. 'do you need lipstick that keeps your lips kissable?' no, I need lipstick that gets me equal pay for equal work. How about eye shadow that makes me stop thinking I'm too fat? Maria bamford" Conefree Conditioners in Oz