Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From tailbone to BSL?

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default From tailbone to BSL?

Anyone done this? How was the change to your hair?
    I'm about an inch from tailbone and I've been talking about going shorter for quite a while. Sometimes I feel like my hair is just a little too long for me. I seem to have lost most of my wurl at this length, it only waves up near the crown now with only some light waving through the length. I've tried clarifying but it doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

I'm packing up my house to move in three days and came across an album of myself at 25. Maybe what I'm liking, is how young I look, but my hair was at BSL (and straightened) and it looks really nice and luscious. Now I just feel frizzy and unstyled.

So I'm asking if anyone has made such a change (like tailbone to bsl) and if they noticed their hair changed in texture at all, as in - you got your wurls back, or it just "sat better".

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

As a longtime admirer of your hair in all aspects (color, length, texture), I'll admit, the loss of so much length (and the introduction of a straightener) makes me a little sad.

Your wurls are absolutely gorgeous though, so if the length is tugging them out, how about trimming up to waist? With the curls, that should put you around BSL, maybe a bit lower than that.

ETA: This is the longest my hair has been, so no real experience that I can remember in texture changing with a cut, but I remember reintroducing layers to my hair after growing them mostly out and my waves looked so much better to me.

Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Default Re: From tailbone to BSL?

I haven't, but I am thinking about it lately, so I'll be watching this thread! It has started to feel too long for me...

Length
    24/40/CLC
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I've done it. I think it was an average 15 inch cut on me. That's a lot of hair. I got a lot of bounce and movement back and my waves were massive.
    However i decided the length was too short for me and i have just about grown it back in two and a half years.
    Growing back length after a cut of 18 inches in December 09.

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

It seems many members are considering it these days but I have yet to see one actually do it and report about it. I am curisous though because I won't be doing it myself to see which feels better. Waist is as far as I am going, probably less though. What puzzles me though is why don't people stop at hip or waist? Why consider going to BSL, when obviously waist and hip didn't feel too long?

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    18/47/53
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Ugh, yes. My last big chop a few years ago, I cut off over a foot! I liked it for, maybe, a month. Then I really started to grieve the loss of length.

I've been growing it back ever since. I should have done it in one to two inch increments. It was way too drastic for me. I'd hate to hear that you regret such a big step that would take a year (maybe more?) time to regrow if you missed your length.

Learn from my fail...tiny increments over a few months is the way to go.

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

With a iii thickness, you might find it more difficult to do certain updos any longer. I'm not sure if you did updos when your hair was at BSL before or if you are into doing them now.

The last time I was at BSL, I was 20. Girl was supposed to trim an inch off and took off over a foot of length instead. I'd been somewhere around hip to tailbone before that. I couldn't give the exact, because I didn't think of hair in relation to body parts back then. But it was a lot of hair lost, and I was majorly ticked off.

The most noticeable difference right away was the fact that I could no longer bun my hair. I had to switch to French braids across the board from that point on out until my hair was longer again.

Same thing as the time for me before that. When I was a teenager, I'd had hair somewhere around hip to tailbone. When I was 16, I had my friend cut it back to BSL for me. Couldn't bun it anymore and had to switch to braids. Then summer ended, and I moved back in with my mom (I'd been staying with that friend for the summer). I had to find a way to hide it so she didn't go freak out on me. So I started doing that HORRID thing where you make a pony tail, and on the last pass you don't pull it all the way through. So it's a loop on top of your head. YEACH, that was a killer. But it was all I could come up with to hide my length because I couldn't get it to stay in a bun at that length. Aaaaaaaand, it wasn't worth it because she found out about my hair eventually and freaked out on me.

I think if I lost hair up to BSL again, I'd be able to do more with it now than I could back then. I know more now, and I've learned more tricks. But it would still be harder for me to make my hair look presentable and professional than it is at this length.

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

In the last 6 months i had thought about cutting back but realised i only had a problem with how my hair looked when its up from the front because i have a long thin face and it made me look washed out so i decided to grow my fringe out and its made such a difference to how i look from the front.

I have also lost a lot of my waves but i found just recently if i put gel or mouse in my hair i can encourage a lot of the waves you actually make me feel better saying you've also lost a lot of your waves . It really depends how you wear it more if you wear it down mostly how about waist that should help with the waves as there wouldn't be so much weight pulling the waves out if you wear it down a lot you could get it heavily layered like ultra bella .
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

I never did this (for obvious reasons - I never had tailbone length hair...) but the updo issue is a valid problem. I can't do practically anything with my hair yet at this length and I'm close to waist. Can't do a full knot, let alone some figure-8 thing, nothing. If you are into updos, that reason alone may deter you from chopping
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Could you try out using a diffuser on low heat to help get more lift and curl at the roots? My mom is a 3a/b and had that done by a stylist.. it made a world of difference. Maybe something to consider for the days you want to wear it down at its best.

I have cut my hair before also from about.. hip+ to just under shoulder length and then had thermal reconditioning down in JPN. It was fun while it lasted but I do think the long hair was more "special"... Just think it over and maybe consider different styling methods first before cutting.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic