Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stringy hair :(

Default Re: Stringy hair :(

Quote Originally Posted by IvanaGil View Post
    Thanks so much I tried washing twice a week but my scalp just felt nasty and by day 3 I don't even want to go out lol My hair wasn't adjusting very quickly either. I tried is for about a month.
    Are you oiling your scalp or scalp related hair as well? If yes, I would suggest not doing this. You'll see in my video that I merely oil the length and that's it. I let sebum do the work on the rest of my scalp, and scalp related hair. No need to help nature along in my situation.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

My routine is:
    Was and condition every day or every other day with Aveeno's sulfate-free line
    Coconut oil everyday. And I do an ACV rinse every time I wash, which I thought was clarifying?
    That's pretty much it. I don't use products besides the poo and conditioner.
    Can you guys recommend a clarifying shampoo? I have no idea how I would identify one if I saw one.
    ACV is not clarifying in the way we use the term clarify. First with the first. You can oil your length once, immedately after a hair wash, and it can last up to 2 weeks. That's what I do, and I have no issues, ever. There should be no need in most cases to apply a whole lot of oil on a daily basis. Only the curliest curls as in kinky curls might need daily applications, and even then....

ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar. This is a "rinse" to rinse the hair with. The purpose is merely to re-set the pH after a fresh hair wash because shampoos and conditioners can cause the hair to be more alkaline, and the scalp skin likes it a bit more acidic, as in 6.8 (which is considered balanced) between alkaline and acidity.

Read up on the "acid mantle". It's readily available on the internet. Apple Cider Vinegar should not be used by those in the blonde hair color range, because if this vinegar is used over the long-term, it can and will tinge the hair a reddish hue. Blondes should use white vinegar. No one should ever use balsamic vinegar as it has sugar in it.

ACV is said to be good for the hair because it has apple pulp in it, and this pulp contains "malic acid" which is said to be good for scalp skin. But white vinegar will work just as well.

Make sure to dilute your vinegar, whichever kind you use. Maximum 3 Tablespoons to an 8 oz cup of water. I used to use a biggie cup and dip my hair length in it and pour the remaining amount over my head. This rinse can remove whatever remains on the hair IN THAT HAIR WASH ONLY. Whatever has dried on the hair, and even if it's re-wetted in a subsequent hair wash will NOT be removed. ACV can

--remove minerals from hard water (in that hair wash only)
    --remove residual product left on the hair that isn't rinsed out (in that hair wash only)
    --re-set the pH of the scalp skin which is ACV's largest benefit

If you want to actually clarify the hair which means to remove all product on top of the hair's cuticle layer (the outer shell that we see of hair), then you have to clarify specifically with a product that is advertised as a hair shampoo clarify product (the label will have the word "clarify" on the label) OR use a home-made hair recipe such as Baking Soda and your shampoo choice. If you do the latter, the baking soda, you MUSt replace what is removed OR the hair will end up dry and brittle feeling. It will still work. When hair is like this, the clarify DID work, it's just that we didn't replace what's been removed by conditioning well after this type of hair wash.

Put 3 Tablespoons of Baking SODA blended with 3 Tablespoons of one's shampoo choice. Blend it really well so that there are no clumps in the mixture. It should be stirred til smooth and creamy. And some air bubbles begin to pop. Wet the hair well, and apply to the scalp hair and length if you like. Rinse out super well, and then condition the length leaving the conditioner on for a little bit of time.

That is clarifying.

Good luck,
    heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Quote Originally Posted by AnqeIicDemise View Post
    Suave's clarifying shampoo I heard is very good. I'd probably take the lazy route and do a baking soda wash to save a buck or two since I have baking soda at home. V05 has another good clarifying shampoo & conditioner.
    Be careful of VO5 products. They are known to have a lot of protein in them, and sometimes you can end up in too much protein on the hair. The sign for too much or too little protein is that the hair immediately and suddenly begins to break off for no apparent reason. Usually it's too much protein. Then get in the shower and rinse it all out with another shampoo, not VO5.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrilynn View Post
    You may also want to try going a bit longer without shampooing. I only wash my hair once or twice a week and noticed a HUGE difference in the overall health of my hair. I also use organic shampoo and conditioner, which could actually fall in the "no 'poo" category. It's from Aubrey Organics and uses peppermint and rosemary, which are really good for the scalp.

For the baking soda rinse I believe it's 1tsp for every 8oz of warm water. Following up with a lemon juice rinse is a great way for conditioning hair, but I'm not positive on the ratio for that.
    Lemon juice rinsing is the same as ACV or performing a vinegar rinse of any sort. It's an acidic application to the scalp and can help to re-set the pH balance of the acid mantle. The acid mantle is simply the light bit of sebum combined with sweat that all heads have. Some of us, like me, have scalp skin conditions. I have too much production of sebum and this is known as Seborrheic Dermatitus. I posted about it in my blog, in case anyone needed to know about it.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Length
    jaw/SL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

It may just be your hair type. I have straight hair but mine tends to be a wee stringy as well, though since I started using henna this has completely gone away. It made my hair thicker too.
    Long hair/ natural hair care friendly hair stylist

Quote Originally Posted by Lilli View Post
    That's a fairly heavy S&C IIRC, and that much oil... you just need to clarify regularly, and maybe switch up the S&C. I use the Suave clarifying shampoo once or twice a week and it fixes stringiness.
    No, what you need to do is simply to learn how little of these application amounts you really need, and then you won't have to clarify all that often or regularly. It's a simple problem to solve. Most people who begin oiling often use too much at the start. It's a very common problem. Trial and error and practice is all it takes. Then you'll be set, and things will proceed smoothly.

I always try to steer people to solve the problem they ACTUALLY have, and not flounder around. Sure, clarifying frequently would help with this issue too. But then she's using a product to remove too much product. The problem is not a lack of clarifying; the problem at its source is simply using too much product. That's all.

I also try to steer people toward easy routines because after a while you're gonna get tired of all this running around worrying about your hair, and more than likely, give up after a while. The easiest way to help people have long hair that they can manage is to teach them a routine that is easy, works, and is reliable. I've been doing my current routine for over ten years. Nothing is a whole lot different, except that I use a better shampoo that helps my scalp skin condition, and I no longer ACV rinse or any kind of rinse. I spend about 1.5 weeks, about an hour washing hair, and around 3 hrs in summer of drying, and more time drying in the winter....and that's IT. Super easy; simple. Relaible. And it works.

When you encounter a problem, handle the problem you have. Don't go running around and guess. Don't get at the problem from another angle such as clarifying when using too much product. If you're using too much product, then resolve by using less product and seeing how it works. That's the solution.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    No, what you need to do is simply to learn how little of these application amounts you really need, and then you won't have to clarify all that often or regularly. It's a simple problem to solve. Most people who begin oiling often use too much at the start. It's a very common problem. Trial and error and practice is all it takes. Then you'll be set, and things will proceed smoothly.

I always try to steer people to solve the problem they ACTUALLY have, and not flounder around. Sure, clarifying frequently would help with this issue too. But then she's using a product to remove too much product. The problem is not a lack of clarifying; the problem at its source is simply using too much product. That's all.

I also try to steer people toward easy routines because after a while you're gonna get tired of all this running around worrying about your hair, and more than likely, give up after a while. The easiest way to help people have long hair that they can manage is to teach them a routine that is easy, works, and is reliable. I've been doing my current routine for over ten years. Nothing is a whole lot different, except that I use a better shampoo that helps my scalp skin condition, and I no longer ACV rinse or any kind of rinse. I spend about 1.5 weeks, about an hour washing hair, and around 3 hrs in summer of drying, and more time drying in the winter....and that's IT. Super easy; simple. Relaible. And it works.

When you encounter a problem, handle the problem you have. Don't go running around and guess. Don't get at the problem from another angle such as clarifying when using too much product. If you're using too much product, then resolve by using less product and seeing how it works. That's the solution.

heidi w.
    You're an encyclopedia of hair knowledge! Thank you. I never oil my scalp unless I'm doing a treatment, but I do oil my length more than once a day. As for the ACV rinses, what I do in the shower is this:
    I wet my hair, shampoo just the scalp, ACV rinse, and then saturate my hair in conditioner, rinse out and I'm done. Should I be doing the ACV last? In a video I saw the advice was that if you have dry hair (which I do), then condition after the ACV rinse.
    I always apply my first bit of coconut oil right after a shower.
    "Mira que si te quise, fué por el pelo. Ahora que estás pelona, ya no te quiero." - Frida Kahlo

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I hardly use the them anymore. Ihardly clarify now thanks to your advise.

eye haelp mama kiep londry waerm.
    BSL|WSL | HP | not quite there CL |
    Moonstruck Tresses

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

I've cut back on the oil but it hasn't really solved the problem. I get a hunch that combing is my problem. I might try fingercombing with conditioner in the shower and then leaving my hair to air dry. I haven't tried clarifying yet though Still haven't gotten around to buying a clarifying shampoo or the baking soda
    Also, I noticed that if I bun my damp hair, it will stick together in thicker chunks...I'm so puzzled lol
    Last edited by IvanaGil; June 26th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
    "Mira que si te quise, fué por el pelo. Ahora que estás pelona, ya no te quiero." - Frida Kahlo

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've cut back on the oil but it hasn't really solved the problem. I get a hunch that combing is my problem. I might try fingercombing with conditioner in the shower and then leaving my hair to air dry. I haven't tried clarifying yet though Still haven't gotten around to buying a clarifying shampoo or the baking soda
    Also, I noticed that if I bun my damp hair, it will stick together in thicker chunks...I'm so puzzled lol
    I found I got rid of some build up by putting conditioner/honey on my hair and leaving it in for a few hours. But clarifying is needed by the sounds of it.
    Hair September 2015