Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what to do about sideburns? (women)

Length
    23/29/BSL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

Default Re: what to do about sideburns? (women)

YAY for NEOMA and GUMBALL!!!!

I'm so happy that one of my suggestions actually worked for someone on here! This time I really have a big toothy grin on my face!

Happy to save you some frustration!
    ~ Sofoulee ~
    ...the curly girl...

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I'm not sure if you're talking about frizzy, shorter head hairs growing at your sideburns, or actual facial hair...?

My nape hairs act the way you describe. Almost every updo just looks STUPID on me - it's not soft and feminine, it's messy and unkempt. These hairs are finally growing long enough that they fan out along the back of my neck, looking a lot like a lobster tail, and since they are coarser and curlier than the rest of my hair they give the overall look an extra 'oh, she's unkempt' look.

My solution? Either TONS of bobby pins to hold the worst of it in place, twisting before I pin for extra hold, or - I just wear my hair down. I'm not willing to slick my hair down with gel and oil to the point that it stays smooth, just to wear an updo that I'm not really crazy about anyway.

The only thing I can hope is that this 'different' kind of hair eventually grows strong and long enough to contain it in an updo...
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    -/-/-
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

On the days that I don't wear glasses I just ignore my sideburns but with glasses they drive me crazy! Before I started COing I used lots of hair spray to hold them in place and that worked very well, I applyed the spray with my hand and not by spraying directly onto the hair. Now I just use some hair gel and it actually works quite well, I just apply the gel on dry hair and form the sideburn the way I want them.

Length
    hip/31"/more!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Never cut them off, I had a friend who did that and it made her look really weird. I think when they get longer they will look normal.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Tweezers! I don't have side burns, but a do have a litlle mustache. I always use tweezers on the litlle pesters. Might work for you as well!

Type
    1c/M/ii

You can seperate your head hair from facial hair and wax the facial hair. It's very easy and effective.

Starting Point May '07.....19 Month Progress Jan '09

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aronomy View Post
    You can seperate your head hair from facial hair and wax the facial hair. It's very easy and effective.

Yep, I had a friend who used to wax her "sideburns."

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Yep, I had a friend who used to wax her "sideburns."
    But I guess that goes back to my original post... Does it look odd to have no hair at all in front of one's ears?

I'm not making a judgement, I'm just asking. I shaved mine off a few months ago, and it looked really odd IMHO. Or maybe I was just self conscious.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    14/26/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I wonder the same thing, Neoma. Would it look weird if I got rid of them totally?
    -- Robin (recovering flat ironing, box dying, brush-a-holic)

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
    -- Albert Einstein

Length
    tailb/chin/???
    Type
    3a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    Sometimes I just pretend it doesn't exist. It's a condition I've learned to live with. I don't think shaving is a good solution.
    Ditto, ditto. I'm not much help because I've just accepted that I'll never have a super sleek updo. I have little tendrils in the back and my sideburns never grow to the length of my hair so I just ignore them. Occasionally I'll even get a compliment from someone who thinks the whispy bits are "cute."

Right after college I was "inspired" to shave mine off and it turns out that a lady at work was a former hair stylist and she quite loudly asked me why I "cut out" my ears. So I kind of got a complex about it thinking they must be really noticeable now and I just decided to ignore those little bits.
    Lady Delenn, Priestess of the Falling Stars in the Order of the Long Haired Knights