Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your hair get wavier/curlier when it's damaged?

Length
    23/30/hip
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Does your hair get wavier/curlier when it's damaged?

I know this sounds weird, but ever since I've given up heat and started to properly look after my hair it's drying straighter (naturally) than it used to. Before when I did what I wanted with my hair some days it would air dry really wavy and others not :/ Now it drys almost completely straight ? I know hair gets sort of straighter the longer it gets but my hair was still quite long when I damaged it etc :S

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Default Re: Does your hair get wavier/curlier when it's damaged?

Mine does. It was about 3a/b back when I straightened everyday then I stopped heat styling, started oiling and taking care of it and it became less curly and more wavy. Now after over a year of taking good care of it and slowly snipping off the damage it is a 1b/c and much thicker. I think the increasing thickness had something to do with the changing texture as well as general health.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Yes, better treatment in a few different ways overall has helped me change my hair texture and behaviour greatly.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Mine is most definitely wavier when it's damaged. Before I started dying my hair I had very loose waves and they were not "piecey" or anything. Now that my hair is very much damaged from years of bleach and dye, the waves are separated into clumps, they are MUCH tighter waves, and some of the clumps or pieces start to spiral a bit.

Grow hair, grow!

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Yes, my hair used to be much curlier (was 3a but now 2c). When I look at photos from years ago, my hair is dryer, curlier and lighter in colour.

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

for sure the damage hair on me is straighter my under hair is much curlier. (only highlight the top)
    No matter how much you hate your hair someone wishes they could have it!

Length
    24/29.5/39
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

When my hair was very damaged I had ringlets, now my hair is 1c in texture. Mostly straight with a bit of wave.
    So I would say yes, damage can make hair curlier.

Length
    CB/CB/BL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/ii

My hair is the opposite, I have curly hair 3b/3c and the ends tends to get straighter (with just a small tiny trim it gets curly from the roots to the tips). If my hair is dry it also gets less curls, so more oil/moisture for me is equal to curlier hair. I believe damage tends to change hair texture (in the curlies the damage give straight hair and the opposite for the straight/wavy ladies), but who knows...

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I don't know I can't remember the last time my hair was damaged, though before LHC I used heat a lot so never got to see my hair in its natural state. My hair has always been curly/wavy and its only been the last 3 years that ive appreciated what I have and worked with it and not against it. My hair is getting wavier the long it gets.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    shld/hip/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

While I heat styled and even for a fair amount of time after my hair was pretty curly with some waves and the longer I stopped heat styling and did more deep treatments and stopped using sls shampoo my hair has become much more straight with a little bit of wave/ flipyness at the ends