Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a heads up to anyone shipping internationally from the US

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Default Re: Just a heads up to anyone shipping internationally from the US

You can put zeros for the phone number--that's what they told me and it worked. I don't know about the main post offices (what is a main PO?). I've gone to the one in my little town and then another one in a larger town and they both told me the PO wants us to do the forms online, but "you don't have to"--yet. Whatever that means. Just thought I would let people know so they didn't get flummoxed at the PO. If you don't have to worry about a bunch of people waiting in line behind you, maybe it doesn't matter too much.

It would be nice if we could just generate the form at the automatic kiosk in the lobby, if they're going to insist on this. I'm not even sure what the point of it is--I mean, if it's cost-cutting, what's it saving? They still have to keep the forms on file for 30 days!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks for the notice -- I mail internationally a couple times a year, and I always wondered why I couldn't do this online -- now I can!

For those questioning whether the forms are even necessary, it depends on type of mailing and value of object. If you scroll partway down this page (to where it says 123.6 Required Usage) it will show a table that tells you which form you need, if any, depending on what/how you are sending it. (looks like the only things that can get away without any form are "documents only" packages)

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    <2/calf/knee
    Type
    1a/M/ii

This is good to know. I know they went from little green sticky forms, to forms in triplicate with carbon paper transfer, to having to type it all in now AND file it.

So yeah, if I can save my post workers a bit of time by doing it online I'm all for it!

Length
    Short/37/CLSC
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    You can put zeros for the phone number--that's what they told me and it worked. I don't know about the main post offices (what is a main PO?). I've gone to the one in my little town and then another one in a larger town and they both told me the PO wants us to do the forms online, but "you don't have to"--yet. Whatever that means. Just thought I would let people know so they didn't get flummoxed at the PO. If you don't have to worry about a bunch of people waiting in line behind you, maybe it doesn't matter too much.

It would be nice if we could just generate the form at the automatic kiosk in the lobby, if they're going to insist on this. I'm not even sure what the point of it is--I mean, if it's cost-cutting, what's it saving? They still have to keep the forms on file for 30 days!
    The phone number thing is good to know - it stumped me a few times recently when I shipped internationally.
    I asked the girl at my closest post office if it at least made less work for them, this new procedure, and she said no, it was actually more work - so I really don't know why it was done. So far I've been allowed to use my forms from home, but I guess that'll change.
    Lady Persephone, Keeper of the Phoenix Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights