Thread: To trim or not to trim..?

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default To trim or not to trim..?

Recently I have started to feel really happy about my hair, I know it is still damaged from bleach and heat but since starting to CO and use oil there has been such a drastic improvement - it has incredible shine, looks healthy and falls into sleek curls. I have been asked so many times how I can have bleach highlighted hair and straighten every day (I did for 3 years, not for 6 months now) and have hair is such good condition, people often don't believe me when I say my colour isn;t totally natural. This week it started to 'feel' long too, i'm about half way between bsl and waist so it isn't long according to LHC standards but I think the condition of it makes it feel longer (doesn't make sense but oh well).

Well tonight I was doing a heavy oil with sweet almond and I noticed that even with a palmful of oil applied tothe ends they still felt dry and wiry while the rest felt sleek and soft. The bad ends are obviously due to damage so im wondering whether to trim. I don't have many split ends, i just don't seem to get them but there is so much dryness. Originally I planned to get to waist before trimming but now i'm re-considering - should I trim and get rid or continue to waist and try to ignore and/or heavily moisturising?

If people think I should trim what is the best way about it? I would want to do it myself but I don't want a blunt hemline - I think a certain amount of fairytaling suits my curls. I wouldn't want to be taking off more than about 1.5" at this point - just the worst of it. Circumference at about an inch from the bottom is no more than 1cm - can i just gather it into a pony and cut into it?
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Length
    9/18/25
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: To trim or not to trim..?

Trim. Just the damaged ends, I've been trimming my hair and i have seen improvement. Continue to moisturize though. Best of luck!

Length
    9/18/25
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Sorry i forgot to post how much you should trim off! Trim at least 0.5 since you said you don't have that many split ends.

Length
    APL/Hip!/BCL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

If you don't like the ends, trim them.
    That's what I'd do.
    Although I bet the reason for it is lack of protein or moisture or something that I've read a million times on these forums but can't seem to fully grasp Someone will come along and correct me, nonetheless.

Do you use cones? Maybe build up from your conditioner is drying out your ends. I honestly don't know. Sorry.

About the trimming- I know that if you start with a ponytail from the back and trim, it will give you a blunt, straight-across hemline. However, what you can do is make a ponytail with your hair at the front of your head (near the hairline) and ponytail-trim it that way, which would give you very slight layers and possibly soften it (I'd say to also snip upwards, but I don't think that's recommended on here since it exposes the hair shaft more than a perpendicular trim)
    Anyways, that's my opinion on this. Just remember that what you'll trim off will grow back in about a month or so. I know fresh, soft ends always put me in a better mood, especially since they feel nice and I got rid off the gross, dry stuff.

But in the end, it's all up to you :]
    BSLMBL• WL • HLBCLTBL
    _________________________^Next stop; TBL!

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Thanks for your comments I don't use cones but i'm starting on a new conditioner this week so i will be clarifying tomorrow anyway - i'll reassess the situation afterwards. My hair hates protein and I do an SMT with every wash so I think these ends are just past it to be honest - they have been put through a lot!
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict