Thread: Routine/products for those with S.D.

Default Routine/products for those with S.D.

Anyone here with seborrheic dermatitis/scalp eczema?

I've finally come to terms that mine isn't just dandruff anymore, and is full-out S.D. Nothing I do really seems to help it, and I've tried so many things; you've no idea. I've had eczema for my entire life in other places, and I have allergies/asthma, so it's a sensible conclusion.

It makes me so self-conscious lately, though, and the fact that my long nails are constantly itching and scraping off bits of my scalp doesn't really help. I can scrape the sebum and dead-skin off within a few hours of washing my hair -- gross, I know.

What helps you? I find that my Nature's Gate or Jason Henna shampoos seem to help a bit, as does this Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo (tried maybe five other different brands of a similar variant, but this is the only one that works...). I tried a clarifying oat shampoo, which didn't change much. I tried the standard zinc pyrithione shampoos, and that only made my scalp feel irritated and a bit burn-y after awhile. I tried using Dr. Bronner's -- the purest of the pure -- to no avail. I tried pure aloe vera gel, which didn't really do anything. I've tried using a fine tooth comb before washing. I've tried coconut oil, which oddly enough, helped a bit. Jojoba oil didn't do anything. I've tried using, and not using conditioners. I've tried only salon, and only natural products. I've tried going SLS-free. I've tried washing more, and washing less. I've tried different temperatures of water. I can't use salicylic acid/anything with willow-bark, due to an allergy.

Did changing to shampoo bars help? Ever use a Fenugreek treatment? What about tar formulas?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I'd really rather not end up slopping chemical sludge all over myself for relief, if I can help it.
    Last edited by Takethevitamin; July 31st, 2008 at 10:49 AM.

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Routine/products for those with S.D.

I used a mix of jojoba oil and tea tree oil, which I applied on the scalp the night before washing. It helped quite a lot... My SD came back pretty strong after I washed too often several weeks ago, and I am still trying to get back the scalp I had before this stupid mistake. Is your hair also always greasy?

Default Re: Routine/products for those with S.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Iylivarae View Post
    I used a mix of jojoba oil and tea tree oil, which I applied on the scalp the night before washing. It helped quite a lot... My SD came back pretty strong after I washed too often several weeks ago, and I am still trying to get back the scalp I had before this stupid mistake. Is your hair also always greasy?
    Well, it depends. I couldn't abstain from using a clarifying shampoo altogether, but I don't get that oil slick look that I see in many others. It's the third day right now since I formally shampooed, and my hair feels okay (not like I just showered, but not as dirty as it could be), until I scrape a nail along my scalp and pick up more eczema gunk. Once I start scratching, and I begin to see white/yellow detritus in my hair, then all bets are off, and it feels dirty, regardless. Sometimes, I'll scratch it until I bleed a bit.
    The substance feels greasy, and so does my hair if I let accumulate, so I suppose my hair can be, yes. My scalp never really feels clean anymore...

My hair feels fine from the ears down, though -- neither greasy, or dry. This is, if I take care of it. I usually CO it, and wash it here and there with a moisturizing shampoo. If I used my scalp shampoo, I guarantee it would be dry, and frizzy.

EDIT: I know this is very gross, but I think you all need a visual representation of what I'm up against here (collected from both my fingernails, and scratching my scalp over the sheet):

Last edited by Takethevitamin; July 31st, 2008 at 05:08 PM.