Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terminal length? :(

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Terminal length? :(

So I guess my hair must've stopped growing during the summer last year. I remember measuring it in February last year when it was about 27 inches long, then it reached 33 and stopped.

If it's not reached terminal the only thing I can think of that might be stopping it's growth is stress/anxiety/depression. sigh

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I also concur with others who have suggested that the problem may be damage! It seems that you wear your hair out a lot (if I'm not mistaken) and you don't regularly trim... so those old ends of yours could be getting quite a beating (which will show up as no growth).

Besides, it hasn't been years and years since you last saw growth .

I would follow Feye's trim as suggested to get rid of your ends, and then try wearing your hair up more. This doesn't mean you need to ALWAYS wear it up, but protecting the ends can be a really good idea (especially as your hair is quite long).

I don't see the point in giving up and tossing in the towel yet .

What I would do is trim off an inch, and then have a challenge to wear your hair up for 30 days (or maybe just wear it down for special occasions)... and by up, I mean something that protects the ends, not just a ponytail! Give your hair plenty of love and care, and measure again in 3 months.

Also, I have to ask how you are measuring! Do you do it from the crown of your head and down the back? I ask because your hair looks a lot longer than 33" if measured according to the method given in LHC (if I measure the individual longest strands I get a much shorter measurement than if I measure from the hairline right down to the longest hair).

Just... keep going!! The only way you'll know you've reached terminal is if you've done all the right, protective things for your hair and it's stalled for a much longer period of time.
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

My hair is 33 inches, I measure it from my crown and down my back, and I usually get someone to do it for me. Also I'm only 5'1 so 33 inches looks longer on me.

But yeah I'm going to attempt to trim it myself. I've always been afraid of a hairdresser cutting too much off me.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Regular small self-trims may be the answer, also wearing it up and protected or at least braided when you're going to be out and about. I've had it happen several times when my hair was breaking off at the bottom faster than it was growing.

Length
    27 in/33 in/Hip
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

My hair did not grow for two years, so I know how you feel. Your hair is beautiful & I hope your
    hair starts growing. Mine started growing again, after I kept wearing it in a bun. Try some horse shampoo. Original mane & tail from wall mart. I added two capfuls of olive oil to the shampoo. And it grew fourteen inches to my waist. I hope this helps.

Length
    27 in/33 in/Hip
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

If they dont sell horse shampoo in England, you can order it online. Its only six dollars a bottle.

Length
    8/11/17
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I'm not going to lie, but it looks like you need to take off a good 4 inches. I know you want knee length, and you are very young so you have time for that. I just don't think you will get there if you don't trim that off!! And then micro trim every 6-8 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by homehearties View Post
    I'm not going to lie, but it looks like you need to take off a good 4 inches. I know you want knee length, and you are very young so you have time for that. I just don't think you will get there if you don't trim that off!! And then micro trim every 6-8 weeks!
    I think 4 inches is too much, and microtrimming every 6-8 weeks will amount to no gain in length for most growers. Even if you take only 1 cm every 6 weeks, that pretty much keeps you at zero growth, since most people's hair only grows 1 cm a month.

But I would recommend looking up some gentle handling methods. I really like Janis Cortese's advice on growing long hair--it's of the low-maintenance, low-cost, gentle handling ilk, and I have had good results with it. The articles section also has excellent advice on everything from oiling to every imaginable hair care method. I think that for most people, growing hair is about doing less to it rather than doing more, with the exception of learning some protective hairstyles.

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

It looks like you have hair that is fairly fine so you may just need to be more careful with the ends. You mentioned having a lot of stress and depression also which can effect your hair. Make sure you are getting enough healthy food, protein, sleep, going and taking at least a walk if you can't or aren't up to exercise. That will help both your mood and your hair in the long run.

If there is a lot going on for you also, I agree with the others that you should get a small trim and then just put your hair up and out of the way. Don't even pay attention to if it is growing and then take a look a few months from now after wearing it up. My vote would be that it is too early to tell if you are at terminal.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    2"/22.5"/30+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebums View Post
    I think 4 inches is too much, and microtrimming every 6-8 weeks will amount to no gain in length for most growers. Even if you take only 1 cm every 6 weeks, that pretty much keeps you at zero growth, since most people's hair only grows 1 cm a month.

But I would recommend looking up some gentle handling methods. I really like Janis Cortese's advice on growing long hair--it's of the low-maintenance, low-cost, gentle handling ilk, and I have had good results with it. The articles section also has excellent advice on everything from oiling to every imaginable hair care method. I think that for most people, growing hair is about doing less to it rather than doing more, with the exception of learning some protective hairstyles.
    Thanks for the great link!

to the OP, I don't have any expertise about your terminal length but your hair is beautiful!