Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for encouragement / advice

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Unhappy Looking for encouragement / advice

Up until a couple months ago, I used to be very aggressive with my hair and caused it a lot of damage. Now I am really trying hard to baby my hair, but I am paranoid about my split ends and worry that nothing I do will prevent them from continuing to come back. Some days I don't find many to trim and other days I can see hundreds -- it's overwhelming! It's like they breed! The ends at the length of my hair look great, but above them up to my shoulders is full of white dots. The hair on the back of my neck near the hairline is the worst.

I do S&D frequently, though I try to not get carried away with it. My hair scissors are fairly new and feel very sharp to the touch...

My hair has gotten so much softer and shinier since I began oiling, CWC, and doing a weekly DC. For the most part, I'm really happy with the way it looks. I don't want to have to chop it off!

Also, can anyone recommend a protective hairstyle that will work for BSL hair with lots of layers? I can do one weird bun with hairsticks somewhat reliably, though it flops down on my neck, is always off-center, and most of the ends stick out. Heh... Updos might be a lost cause for me until I gain some length and lose some layering.

Sorry for all the whining... I figured it might be more profitable for me to do it here than to my poor DH.

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Looking for encouragement / advice

Damaged hair takes a while to recover, be patient and you will see results If the splits are really bad the best is to trim it...maybe not a lot just an inch or so. and braids would work well with layers, I have tonsss of layers but personally I don't like updos I just leave my hair down, but I make sure it is not caught under straps etc.
    my goal is classic length<3

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I would recommend spin pins for updos. Cinnabuns, braided buns, french twists... etc. all work with spin pins.

They're pretty cheap at Target, easy to handle, and provide a ton of hold.

Another protective style is braids. French and dutch braids help hold in layers, so you don't have to worry about them flopping out. If you're concerned with the aesthetic of layers poking out of the length of braids, then to each her own. All I can say is that messy is in, so you don't have to worry about looking out of style if that's your concern.

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Don't get discouraged. There are so many people who experienced a crazy turnaround in hair health once they started treating their hair the LHC-approved way. And I would also suggest French/Dutch braids. If you do them on damp hair, the layers might lay better and not stick out. Something like a tucked French braid or a folded braid held with a claw clip would keep your ends from rubbing on your shirt etc.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

I was in your shoes last year...splits everywhere, especially on that nasty nape of the neck hair. But after I stopped ripping my comb through my hair and started s&ding, it got so much better. I agree with everyone else braids are a good way to go, but buns are best. I have found that using three small clips around my bun secures it all day, and I'm sure it would keep the layers tucked in.
    "Mira que si te quise, fué por el pelo. Ahora que estás pelona, ya no te quiero." - Frida Kahlo

Length
    chin/MBL/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I second braids and spin pins! You can also bun your braids which will help stop the ends/layers escaping.

Lady Egleriel, Wanderer of Hallowed Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Don't get too upset it takes a while to grow out layers and damage. Just pamper your hair and show it extra tlc and spin pins are good for up dos.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    16 in/25 in/????
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Watch some youtube videos for updos and practice. I was so updo incapable until I started watching the videos.
    Spin pins and a tangle teezer is what I recommend.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Here is Ktani's article re: using catnip tea rinses for combatting split ends:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=118

You might also want to investigate adding mineral oil (baby oil) to your repetoire. MO helps keep moisture in your hair, which helps keep the splits at bay:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=225

MO is also a wonderful detangler.

As far as hairstyling is concerned, perhaps you might like to experiment with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Good luck!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Seconding spin pins. Here's how to use them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZI0A0yJpFA
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)