Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil saved my hair from bleach damage O.O

Length
    20/23,6/35,4
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Coconut oil saved my hair from bleach damage O.O

- I had bright red hair, dyed it dark to grow out my natural colour and have it blend it, regretted it months later so a few days ago I decided to bleach All my hair (thinking I will lose half my length to bleach damage) . So I drenched my hair in coconut oil before, and wow, my hair does not feel damaged at all. At all !
    It's madness . before I have tried putting conditioner in my hair,, some mixed in the bleach to make it less damaging, but nothing worked as well as unrefined coconut oil.

What else is good for protecting your hair before bleaching ?
    Now I will only need to go roots, but still I will cover the roots in bleach before I use a weak bleach to raise the natural colour a bit . . but wow.

Need to spread the word to all my friends (who change hair colour from week to week, one day green, another day red, another day baby pastel colours) etc hehe .

I can keep my entire length ! This is great news
    And my hair feels nicer than before, I never bothered clarifying, think I had a lot of coconut oil build up in my hair . . or when visitng sweden, the water is better for me than the water in london o.o
    Freegan - Polyamorous - Ex-Squatter

- Sorry I'm late . - That's okay, time doesn't exist .

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: - Coconut oil saved my hair from bleach damage O.O

I started using coconut oil on my hair when it was really damaged it helped a lot.

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I use coconut oil when bleaching too, works wonders My hair owes Ktani and her coconut oil advice lot! Wish Id known about this wonder product when I first started bleaching.

What surprises me is that actual hair professionals don't know about this brilliant characteristic of coconut, I have my bleach highlights done at the salon and when I turned up with oiled hair my hairdresser didn't have a clue what i was on about. We need to spread of LHC word
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Wow, I wish I knew about that back when I would get my hair highlighted blonde! But then again, if I did that, then I wouldn't ever have fried my hair with highlights/bleaching (which made me want to grow out natural) and realized that I should stay away from the dye... I suppose it happened for a reason for me
    Regardless, bravo to everyone doing coconut oil soaks prior to bleaching/highlighting, I've heard it works wonders!

Quote Originally Posted by afu View Post
    What surprises me is that actual hair professionals don't know about this brilliant characteristic of coconut, I have my bleach highlights done at the salon and when I turned up with oiled hair my hairdresser didn't have a clue what i was on about. We need to spread of LHC word
    This happened to me too. When I told my stylist that I had put coconut oil on my hair to protect it from the bleach she was like "Mmmmm.....Ok....". But she has been really cool about it ever since.

To give stylists credit, when I was in beauty school (or working in a salon) coconut oil was never mentioned for anything hair or beauty related(or any other oil for that matter). Unfortunately it's just not a part of mainstream hair care. I didn't learn about coconut oil until coming to the LHC.

I've been using coconut oil as a pre-highlight treatment for the past 6 months and have noticed a big difference. My hair isn't as dry afterwards and I don't have the breakage in my crown area immediately after highlights like I did before. It's so easy and has such great benefits, oiling before bleaching has just become part of the process for me.
    Last edited by BrightEyes; June 3rd, 2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

So, how much damage would you say it prevents? Also, what type of bleaching, and how do you use coconut oil to protect it, do you apply some throughout your hair before you bleach it, do you leave it in and apply the bleach over it, how do you go about this? Please and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gogirlanime View Post
    So, how much damage would you say it prevents? Also, what type of bleaching, and how do you use coconut oil to protect it, do you apply some throughout your hair before you bleach it, do you leave it in and apply the bleach over it, how do you go about this? Please and thank you!
    Unfortunately, I don't think anything can completely prevent damage from bleach. But coconut oil has definitely reduced damage for me. Before I started using it, my hair always felt so dry immediately after highlights. And I had quite a bit of breakage in my crown area (and my stylist is very good and would not overlap the bleach if she could help it). Since doing oilings, my hair feels moisturized and soft after getting highlights and I don't have as much breakage as before. Also, when I first joined LHC 2 years ago my pony tail circumference measured at 2.5 inches. I just measured last week and it measured in at 3 inches. Now, I have improved my hair care and greatly reduced heat styling. So the increase in thickness may be a result of the complete change in how I care for my hair. But I think that these oilings have helped that too.

I oil my hair from roots to ends at least 2 hours before my appointment. I put enough coconut oil on so that my hair looks oily but not so much that my hair is dripping. I leave it on and my stylist does foil highlights right ontop of the coconut oil.
    Last edited by BrightEyes; June 3rd, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BrightEyes View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think anything can completely prevent damage from bleach. But coconut oil has definitely reduced damage for me. Before I started using it, my hair always felt so dry immediately after highlights. And I had quite a bit of breakage in my crown area (and my stylist is very good and would not overlap the bleach if she could help it). Since doing oilings, my hair feels moisturized and soft after getting highlights and I don't have as much breakage as before. Also, when I first joined LHC 2 years ago my pony tail circumference measured at 2.5 inches. I just measured last week and it measured in at 3 inches. Now, I have improved my hair care and greatly reduced heat styling. So the increase in thickness may be a result of the complete change in how I care for my hair. But I think that these oilings have helped that too.

I oil my hair from roots to ends at least 2 hours before my appointment. I put enough coconut oil on so that my hair looks oily but not so much that my hair is dripping. I leave it on and my stylist does foil highlights right ontop of the coconut oil.
    Thank you for your reply this has helped me much!! I think I will start using coconut oil before I start doing mild peroxide treatments to lighten I think that will help reduce the damage

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Yes, coconut oil has saved my hair, too! (Thanks again, Ktani!)

During the winter I tried to bleach henna out of my hair, twice, and have since then used several dyes on it, too many to count... And every time, before putting on any dye with developer (peroxide), I drench my hair in coconut oil, the refined variety (unrefined is way too expensive for hair use for me), and I have hardly any damage at all! It's truly a miracle, as earlier I used to get so many split ends even without dyeing, and now hardly any.

Quote Originally Posted by afu View Post
    What surprises me is that actual hair professionals don't know about this brilliant characteristic of coconut, I have my bleach highlights done at the salon and when I turned up with oiled hair my hairdresser didn't have a clue what i was on about.
    Me that doesn't surprise in the slightest, to be honest... Hairdressers are generally not into any kind of natural haircare, be it henna, oiling or whatever. That's just the way it is
    Last edited by Rosetta; June 4th, 2012 at 04:21 AM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    25/29.5/32
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I have a question, would you have to leave the dye or bleach on longer since there's coconut oil on your hair? or would it take the same amount of time to process?