Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your mood and your hair/hairstyle.

Length
    2"/APL/Hip
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Default Your mood and your hair/hairstyle.

Long hair is definitely flexible and I can adapt it to what I'm doing, but a coworker also made a comment yesterday that suggested it seems to correlate with my mood as well. She asked how I was doing because I was "wearing my grumpy hair." So apparently a low bun means I'm in a foul mood. I've thought about it and I think that on some level its probably true. Bad mood equals less patience to braid or deal with loose hair, so bun. And perhaps I subconsciously position it differently since I don't generally tie my hair at my nape.

Wondered if other have noticed any similar correlations?

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Your mood and your hair/hairstyle.

My cousin once commented that my hairstyle (a French braided bun) said, "I am getting things done today," and that it looks like efficiency.
    I hadn't consciously done that but it was in line with my mood.
    Interesting.
    I also think I do double braids or space buns when I'm happy and optimistic and full of energy.
    Low braids when I'm tired or stressed.
    I don't do low buns because wispies poke me in the neck.

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

I don't have a lot of style variety at this point...

Sloppy high bun: I'm sick
    Sock bun: I was running late / I have an important meeting / I'm on duty
    Dutch braids down: This is all I'm able to do and I'm at the airport or grocery shopping
    Dutch braids pinned up halo-style: This is all I'm able to do and I'm not at the airport or grocery shopping
    Straightened: I've got a hot date i don't straighten my hair anymore

Since they've adjusted uniform regulations for my branch, I can get away with the two dutch braids pinned up almost all of the time.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I think dutch/french braids do give off the vibe of "getting it done" just because of how secure and intricate looking they are. I wouldn't say I do it on purpose but I can see how it would be interpreted that way. I can see how a low bun that takes a little less effort to make would be seen as a "grumpy" style too, like we just threw it up quickly in a bah humbug type fashion lol. I feel like dutch braids, being my favorite hair style right now, make me feel in a better mood when I wear them. They give me more self esteem because they dont draw attention to the big patches of baby hair at my temples too

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I like braided buns, and high buns/ponies/braids when I have to clean (braided for messy work, high otherwise), but other than that, I think it's just split between whether or not I have the spoons for a neat bun (hair detangled, crown combed/brushed, bun neat) or whether I'm just sticking it in a claw clip or making a messy bun because I'm sick/in pain/etc. (not/partially detangled, couldn't care less if anything is neat).
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

From The Curmudgeon's Corner: I don't care how my hair looks because I needn't look at it. All that matters is that it stay up, so whatever bun manages that is my style du jour.

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I usually choose my style based on my hair's mood, actually...

If it's the day before wash day and kinda oily, I do a French braid (then it just looks "sleek," haha...)

If my hair is behaving well, maybe a ponytail or easygoing bun.
    If my hair is being unruly, I slick it down and beat it into submission with a marine bun.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by JackintheBox View Post
    Long hair is definitely flexible and I can adapt it to what I'm doing, but a coworker also made a comment yesterday that suggested it seems to correlate with my mood as well. She asked how I was doing because I was "wearing my grumpy hair." So apparently a low bun means I'm in a foul mood. I've thought about it and I think that on some level its probably true. Bad mood equals less patience to braid or deal with loose hair, so bun. And perhaps I subconsciously position it differently since I don't generally tie my hair at my nape.

Wondered if other have noticed any similar correlations?
    That just made me LOL!

OMG, that people notice things like this!

I wear a Nautilus when I'm up - all the time, that bun never changes, nor does the placement change. I used to wear a LWB (lazy wrap bun) all the time until due to length I switched to a Nautilus. Same placement, day in, day out.

And my mood *varies* - you better believe it! LOL!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Haha!

A high nautilus bun means I’m feeling tired or lazy. If there’s a hair tie placed around it to prevent it from undoing itself, I’m tired enough to fall asleep.

A Low LWB or side English braid means I need or want to look somewhat presentable, but the 4ish hair around my hairline isn’t cooperating. These styles allow me to tuck miscreant sections underneath others. A side rope braid is similar, but I wanted to look like I put a bit more effort into my appearance.

A french braid or elling woman are indications of a headache that won’t go away.

A sleek LWB halfway between my nape and crown with two matching hairsticks means I have company coming or it’s date night.

A high bun means nothing unless it is a nautilus (see above) or accompanied by a large amount of frizz, which may mean I’m depressed and don’t care how I look.

Down can mean a few things. I could be air drying. The coarse, 4ish frizz around my hairline might have won that day, and I’m using the naturally wild appearance of my hair to make it seem on purpose. Or I may be hanging out with my punk/metalhead friends, who seem to think my hair’s bizarre wave/curl pattern and general unruliness is “badass.”
    Last edited by JennGalt; January 18th, 2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Stupid typos
    Classic stretched, bcl to tbl most days otherwise.
    Unruly mix of 3s.

Length
    2"/APL/Hip
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Overall I agree with you all that is mostly has to do with what I'm doing and how my hair is behaving (which I suppose can affect my mood). But I did think it was a funny observation. I had never considered people interpreting my hairstyle as meaning anything more since I already standout as a guy.

I feel like I'm not all that different from anyone else with when I choose various styles. My current go to hairstyle is an english braid which I feel looks presentable for most things and its pretty low maintenance since it holds real well all day. I use a cinnabun if I need to look particularly professional, or I just need it all up because its bothering me or is too hot. It's also my go to date style since its a bit more understated. If I am having a good hair day and feel like mixing it up I wear a ponytail tied mid-height (if that makes sense). I usually wear it loose after work when I am relaxing at home, but I'll actually wear it down occasionally to go out with friends. On days where I don't have anywhere to be then I usually keep it in a loose or in a low ponytail and sometimes I'll leave a practice attempt at something in or wear something I don't feel comfortable wearing out.