Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: silk sleeping cap?

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default silk sleeping cap?

Or satin... I would love to get a nice one. Anyone have one they love or don't love? I would love some recommendations. I currently sleep on a super hair friendly pillowcase and just put my bsl hair in a loose pony with a scrunchie.... but would like to try looking like an 80 year old woman in my sleep. no offense to anyone who has a cap, I'm just being silly.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: silk sleeping cap?

I tried a satin one from Walmart and it gave me major breakage around my hairline where the covered elastic went around. Never again for me, I use satin pillowcases now.

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by ladyfey View Post
    I tried a satin one from Walmart and it gave me major breakage around my hairline where the covered elastic went around. Never again for me, I use satin pillowcases now.
    Shoot I just bought one from Wal-mart! Where did you get your satin pillowcase? I got one from Wal-mart and a bed and bath place and it is smooth and its called a satin pillowcase but its not comfortable at all. And I can like hear it when I lay on it-if that makes sense. I want to find a real soft satin pillowcase that is comfortable and bendable just like any other pillow case!

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Good to know. What type hair do you have? Is it prone to breakage?
    I have a satin case too... but my hair gets tangley if i don't put it in a pony...and I will only use a super soft scrunchie in it. I hate elastics. But I like to sleep on my back and that scrunchie is a tiny bit annoying sometimes to lay in...
    I just found this site... they seem pretty nice.

http://sharmooz.com/index.php?main_p...&products_id=5

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by gonzobird View Post
    Good to know. What type hair do you have? Is it prone to breakage?
    I have a satin case too... but my hair gets tangley if i don't put it in a pony...and I will only use a super soft scrunchie in it. I hate elastics. But I like to sleep on my back and that scrunchie is a tiny bit annoying sometimes to lay in...
    I just found this site... they seem pretty nice.

http://sharmooz.com/index.php?main_p...&products_id=5
    I do the pony thing too when I sleep but I sleep on my stomach so it doesnt bother me. But if your hair is long enough check out the sock bun on you tube. I just put my hair in the sock bun now so when I take it out tomarrow morning I will have awesome curls. But I think you would love it because it sits right on top of your head and you never feel it no matter what position you sleep in. Plus its a sock so even if you laid right on it you probably wouldn feel it!

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

I can do a sock bun, but wanted just something that would take 2 seconds. I have 9 million layers in my hair as well (growing them out) and so many pieces fall out so thats annoying too. Plus my hair has a natural cool wave to it, I'm not huge of actual curls.

I just wonder if these sleeping caps are nicer than one with an elastic. I would get the girls one that is "tie able" and maybe it wouldn't have the elastic... Have to do more investigating. Thank you though, spookyghost!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've got that Stay on Satin brand, and find them to be pretty good. No breakage around the hairline, though if I were feeling more paranoid than I do, I would turn it inside out. (Actually tried them inside-out for a while, which makes it mildly harder to keep them on. But I didn't notice a difference in the effects to my hair.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    24"/class/more
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Here's a link to instructions outlining how to make your own silk/satin pillowcase for those so inclined

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=86447

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spookyghost View Post
    Shoot I just bought one from Wal-mart! Where did you get your satin pillowcase? I got one from Wal-mart and a bed and bath place and it is smooth and its called a satin pillowcase but its not comfortable at all. And I can like hear it when I lay on it-if that makes sense. I want to find a real soft satin pillowcase that is comfortable and bendable just like any other pillow case!

The satin pillow case you bought is probably made of polyester. I have a silk satin pillow case from Dharma Trading and it's wonderfully soft and smooth. Also, it's much cooler than polyester satin which is nice because I often get hot in my sleep.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

My old silk case was from dharma trading jacquard fabric. My ex, an extremely talented dyer, made it for my 38 th birthday.

I have one from Sally's right now, and while I don't love it, it does the trick.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.