Thread: Hairstyles for tailbone length hair

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Hairstyles for tailbone length hair

Hi,
    my hair is tailbone length and I've been keeping it at that for the past few years. I just wanted to ask you guys what hairstyles are least damaging to the hair, usually I wear it just in a french braid or loose. I started putting it up in a normal bun once in a while but thats getting a little boring and since I haven't paid much attention to taking care of my hair up until a while ago I'd just like to know some of your recommendations

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Hairstyles for tailbone length hair

For me, I found several styles that kept my hair tidy and damage free:

1) Heidi braids
    2) Fake lace crown braid
    3) Double braided bun

and several others

The thing to remember is to always make sure your hair is thoroughly detangled before you start styling..and keep it detangled throughout the process.

Never braid tightly..or bun tightly either.

Sectioning the hair makes it more comfortable to wear. I use 3 inch crimped hairpins for all my updos.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Look up lazy wrap bun, nautilus bun, those are a few staple buns next to the regular cinnabun.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    16.5/tb-38/?
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

My hair is TB now. I basically always put my hair up with a hair stick or fork. It's become so routine now that it takes like... (*redoing hair and counting in head*) 12 seconds to put it up that way.

When I first joined LHC I was a complete newbie to hair sticks or forks, and to braiding, actually. Then again I think that when I first joined my hair might have been too short for that anyway! I think putting my hair up in that way is much less damaging and more convenient than having hair down or even in a braid. I don't know about you but I find that the hair near the nape of my neck tends to tangle a bit after hours of wearing a braid, and then of course there's the fact that it can swing around and get in your way.

If you have never tried hair stick styles before, don't be daunted--some of them are pretty easy to learn. (Some I still can't get to work. >_< If you're unable to figure out how to do a particular one, maybe try another.)

If you are doing a "regular" coiled type bun (which is what a "cinnabun" refers to, I think) you can easily use a stick or fork in that. If you feel like that is monotonous, you can always learn new bun styles, and the fact that there is a stick or fork adds some visual interest and variety.

Length
    TBL/waist/term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My hair's the same length. The more protective up-dos I usually do are the off-coiled bun and cinnabun.
    "Even if the sky is falling down, I know that we'll be safe and sound" ~ Lady Mithrellas of the Cobalt Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ear/TBL+!/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

My hair's just a bit longer than tailbone. Right now I mostly rotate between a braided bun (with pins or 1 hairstick if damp), the nautilus bun (fork), and KarenLynn's knot for longer hair (fork) -- see the articles section for instructions. Sometimes I'll do a cinnamon bun (LOTS of pins) or double braided bun (fork or stick or pins) for variety. If you like French braids, you could try coiling the braid part into a bun -- a fancier version of the standard braided bun. Sometimes if I have a lot of extra time I'll put my hair in double French braids and coil the braids into a bun a the back. I don't usually put any elastics/hair ties on the ends of my braids when I'm bunning them -- don't know if you can get away with that (I have fairytale ends), but I think it reduces mechanical damage to the delicate ends.

I found that different buns worked best with my hair at different lengths; the specific tool you're using to secure the bun is also important. I would try several different updos with different hair toys and see what works best for you right now.

Overall, I think just about any updo (as long as you're not back combing or something) is going to be more protective than wearing it down -- my hair still feels like silk when I take it out of a braided bun at the end of the day, whereas wearing it down does permit tangles. But of course you need to balance looking after your hair with what you like -- if you like having it down, there's no law saying you can't.
    Lady Xi of the Maple Tree in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!
    Avatar picture from Brunnhilde with her horse at the mouth of the cave by Arthur Rackham