Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter haircare - need advice

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Winter haircare - need advice

So, winter is coming (no, I didn't mean to quote GOT - but oh, well ), and my hair is rebelling. It acts nothing like last winter, it is much worse. It tangles like crazy, despite my silk pillowcase and wearing a ponytail every time I go outside. It looks frizzy, dull and stringy. I am worried that my ends will be eaten up from the cold, they are very thin. If I do put it in an updo and go outside, it will look crazy when I get back inside again, and I will have to redo it to make it look decent.

Last wash, I did a coconut oil treatment (left it on for half an hour, and washed my hair) and it felt amazing afterwards. I am definitely going to do that every time from now on. But now, 2 days later, I had to put it in a braid to make it look decent. It was harder to detangle, I had to use a tiny bit of coconut oil and finger comb before I combed for real.

I don't know if it is relevant, but I have APL+, 2C hair, and I currently shed like crazy. I honestly have no I dea what to do, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Length
    pixie/shoul/waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Default Re: Winter haircare - need advice

My hair is doing the same crazy thing. I'm deep conditioning and going with daily updos. I have a trim scheduled for next week and I'm hoping that may help.... but I'm not really sure either. I've been using olive oil in my hair to no avail. I hope someone has some ideas!
    You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
    Growing my short pixie since feb. 2011

Length
    APL/HIP/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Have you tried Argan oil and baby oil? I swear by it. I could sit in a sauna and still wouldnt frizz. After a wash I apply my leave in (small amount of reg conditioner) then a small puddle of baby oil. I have MBL hair. work it through and let it dry for about 20 minutes or until it just starting to feel like it's drying. Then I apply a VERY small amount of argan. Just a couple drops. I let it dry (usually wrap for the last couple hours to straighten.) Never have probs with dry, tangles, or frizzy hair. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself either ~

Maintenance trims to grow back thickness

Length
    44/40/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I have the same problem-my hair looks horribly frizzy, I mean the ends are fine, but the upper part at about shoulder length is plain horror. I cannot detangle it without ripping the hair out, and because I'm growing the dye out, the texture changes makes it worse, and the winter...It's impossible to make an updo that would fit under a hat, and if it does, the hair is too messy to be able to make it, but ponytails and braids frizz me out and oiling doesn't help
    Lady Moréfindiel, Leader of the Cupcake Kittens In The Order of the Long Haired Knights
    mmm...indigo blue

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

For myself, I have been washing my hair about twice a week and use a mixture of olive oil, and jojoba along with essential oils for scent. I used to put these oils on before I took a shower, but now I only use them as needed (since I have trouble with oily hair already sometimes, so it just depends and I put them in at times before showers and at times afterwards, whenever needed) and sometimes I use a tad bit of baby oil (which I'm beginning to like). My hair is mid-thigh length and naturally curly (3a) so it frizzes easily. But I found that the best way for me to take care of my hair is to carefully detangle it before I take a shower, then after the shower carefully braid it without detangling and let it dry in the braid. When I don't detangle it while it is wet, it keeps my hair from stretching and breaking after washes and I also think that it keeps my hair moisturized and protected. I love how it feels when it is finally dry and out of my braid. I don't know if this would work well for everyone, but it seems to be working for me. I often will put my hair up in a bun after it is braided and wear a scarf over, so the frizz isn't as noticeable and that also protects my hair from the cold (especially if it is still wet and I have to go outside). Wearing a silk sleeping cap over my braid while sleeping also keeps it very manageable and keeps out the tangles, although it isn't comfortable for me to sleep with, it still might work.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Shepherdess; November 25th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen

Type
    2b/M/ii

have you tried SMT? and for the frizziness aloe vera gel mixed with your oils works great! but for the shedding thing always the first thing to check is how healthy is your diet and thyroid. best of luck ♥

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Nice to hear I am not the only one with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DinaAG View Post
    have you tried SMT? and for the frizziness aloe vera gel mixed with your oils works great! but for the shedding thing always the first thing to check is how healthy is your diet and thyroid. best of luck ♥
    What exactly is SMT? I can't find anything on the boards using the search function. As for health, I am a heavy shedder naturally, but I am getting extra these days - maybe stress, who knows?
    Sadly, Aloe vera doesn't work for me - my hair doesn't like it. But thank you for the help *off to figure out what SMT is*
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    What exactly is SMT? I can't find anything on the boards using the search function.
    Snowy's Moisture Treatment. Here you go:
    http://longhaircommunity.com/forums/...read.php?t=128
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

SMT is Snowy's Moisturizing Treatment. It is what I woudl call a DCT (deep conditioning treatment). It uses honey, which I will not put in my hair, and aloe, which is questionable to use in winter.
    I swear I just have to suffer through winter and vow not to cut my hair until summer because it always magically looks healthier come summer. It is definitely a weather things and humidity is a huge part of it. Static likes me SO much and seems ot add to the frizz issue.

I have no real advice, sorry. LOL.

ETA: LOL I see Lapushka beat me to it

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    Apl/Bsl+/Waist
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Try to find moisturizing treatments now and use them more often than you would in the summer. Also be careful with some of your products that contain glycerin...it can make hair wacky in the winter.
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WAIST-HIP
    **Almost there!!!**