Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long hairs: do you ever feel stereotyped or objectified because of your hair?

Length
    Chin/Hip+!/Class
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Long hairs: do you ever feel stereotyped or objectified because of your hair?

I like my long hair, but I don't always like the stereotypes people associate with it. I've gotten that I must be "easy" based on my hair length, I constantly get that I must be straight based on my hair length. When I was at work one time, a person complimented me on how long my hair was and how pretty my dress looked, which I appreciated. But then they said "it's nice to see a girl that looks and dresses like a lady, too many girls nowadays are giving up their femininity". Just because I choose to have long hair and wear dresses, doesn't mean that I believe all women should dress as I do, and I don't subscribe to the idea that girls/women should "dress/look like ladies", as if that only means one thing. I feel a bit objectified when people make comments about how "feminine" and "lady like" I am based on my hair length, like I do it to please them or "decorate their world", as the old LHC saying goes.

Do any other long haired ladies experience this? Do you embrace the stereotypes, or do you reject them?

Default Re: Long hairs: do you ever feel stereotyped or objectified because of your hair?

I happen to line up with the classic or stereotypical feminine, my hair included. I love having my hair long because it does make me feel more elegant and feminine but I dont think all ladies have to or should. In my opinion there are different kinds of femininity. All in all I think its just up to us to help teach people that they are incorrect. Ignorance fuels stereotypes. If you ever run in to someone who makes a rude or offensive comment I think you, and everyone else, should politely tell them that you find it hurtful. I've learned that when you yell at people for making such comments, especially the ones that dont know or think about the fact that it can be taken as rude, they tend to not hear your words but your anger instead.

Length
    4/TBL/CL+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Long hairs: do you ever feel stereotyped or objectified because of your hair?

It definitely gets me read as straight more than I like (I am totally a bada** barbarian prince, even in heels and a dress *grumble mutter*) and so more traditional than I like, combine with the heels and elaborate makeup people tend not to think I spend much time thinking, or that I'm not as much of an angry angry rage filled feminist as I am, and people tend to assume my husband is dumb or dangerous because of his hair

I intend to be thought elegant, glamorous and extremely vulgar, because nothing is so glamorous as vulgarity, and there is nothing so vulgar as elegance.

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Hmm, more often than not people who do not know me assume I am gay .

I tend to dress in girly dresses, but wear combat boots instead of heels. I'm fairly certain that my hair length is not taken into account.
    So far I've never felt objectified because of my hair. I guess one could argue that my BF does objectify me a bit when it is down since he loves it so much (like he goes crazy).

However, I really think it is sweet how much he loves my hair . Plus, I can use it to my advantage .

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I am very feminine and always have been. I do like to dress and look like a lady, I love pink (it's my favorite color) and I've always loved doing all the stereotypical feminine things. I used to get flack for this, even from my own mother, who is really a tomboy (though she's 82. She climbed trees until her late 70's, something I can't even imagine trying). I went to boy's schools (I was like the second class of girls in my high school and we were a real minority and I went to an Ivy League really soon after they 'integrated') and all the other women were like, we should do everything just like men to prove we are as good as men, and I was like, I'm as good as anybody but I never wanted to be a man or be anything like a man in my life. I love being a girly girl. Period. Fullstop.
    I never did find that wearing short hair and tailored clothes and refusing to have children until very late in life and all of the things they used to say we had to do 'not to let women down' actually made any professor or anyone else behave as if we were NOT women. If they were prejudiced against women, they were just as prejudiced against the ones in pants with no jewelry as they were against the ones wearing frills and pearls (me, even back in the 70's). the only way they got less prejudiced was by seeing you could do the work, which I always could. And THAT has nothing to do with what you are wearing or how you present. I was always one of the two or three with the best grades in the class and no one can argue with THAT.
    I like to get on people's nerves. Recently I was on an oh-so-important board at my Ivy League school and here we were in the 2000s and all the women still all insecure and worried about not being treated well and all stiff in their little suits, pantsuits usually with short hair. I just sat at every board meeting wearing a dress and would pull my knitting out of a bag and knit and knit while everybody else pretended they were taking notes on their ipads. At the end my term they were like so shocked that I had also accomplished something they had been trying to get done for about 20 years and had made no headway on, ever--along with a lot of completed socks and hats (which I donate to orphans).
    Too funny.
    P.S. when I left the board several other people had started knitting during meetings.
    Eleanor Roosevelt actually used to knit at meetings all the time. It focuses your attention, actually, to be doing something mindless with your hands. Men should take it up, too, in my opinion.
    P.S.S.In my house growing up, my mom was the tomboy and my dad sewed the curtains and sewed my buttons back on and took me out shopping to accessorize my clothing (my mom can't stand doing that). Of course he also repaired the cars and pipes and worked out all the time so that he was solid muscle, and a perfectly masculine man.
    Last edited by chen bao jun; March 28th, 2014 at 06:01 PM.

Length
    SL/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chen bao jun View Post
    I am very feminine and always have been. I do like to dress and look like a lady, I love pink (it's my favorite color) and I've always loved doing all the stereotypical feminine things. I used to get flack for this, even from my own mother, who is really a tomboy (though she's 82. She climbed trees until her late 70's, something I can't even imagine trying). I went to boy's schools (I was like the second class of girls in my high school and we were a real minority and I went to an Ivy League really soon after they 'integrated') and all the other women were like, we should do everything just like men to prove we are as good as men, and I was like, I'm as good as anybody but I never wanted to be a man or be anything like a man in my life. I love being a girly girl. Period. Fullstop.
    I never did find that wearing short hair and tailored clothes and refusing to have children until very late in life and all of the things they used to say we had to do 'not to let women down' actually made any professor or anyone else behave as if we were NOT women. If they were prejudiced against women, they were just as prejudiced against the ones in pants with no jewelry as they were against the ones wearing frills and pearls (me, even back in the 70's). the only way they got less prejudiced was by seeing you could do the work, which I always could. And THAT has nothing to do with what you are wearing or how you present. I was always one of the two or three with the best grades in the class and no one can argue with THAT.
    I like to get on people's nerves. Recently I was on an oh-so-important board at my Ivy League school and here we were in the 2000s and all the women still all insecure and worried about not being treated well and all stiff in their little suits, pantsuits usually with short hair. I just sat at every board meeting wearing a dress and would pull my knitting out of a bag and knit and knit while everybody else pretended they were taking notes on their ipads. At the end my term they were like so shocked that I had also accomplished something they had been trying to get done for about 20 years and had made no headway on, ever--along with a lot of completed socks and hats (which I donate to orphans).
    Too funny.
    P.S. when I left the board several other people had started knitting during meetings.
    Eleanor Roosevelt actually used to knit at meetings all the time. It focuses your attention, actually, to be doing something mindless with your hands. Men should take it up, too, in my opinion.
    P.S.S.In my house growing up, my mom was the tomboy and my dad sewed the curtains and sewed my buttons back on and took me out shopping to accessorize my clothing (my mom can't stand doing that). Of course he also repaired the cars and pipes and worked out all the time so that he was solid muscle, and a perfectly masculine man.
    This is awesome I actually know more guys who knit than girls. Only one of them is gay, the rest made their girlfriends teach them.
    I wear less girly things to work because 1) I'm carrying equipment and heels don't work with cameras and cables, and 2) it keeps most people from trying to grab my equipment out of my hands to "help", and 3) it's just more comfortable to wear kicks, jeans, and a t-shirt while I work. But I love looking pretty and have no problem with it. I totally ignore people who try to fit me into stereotypes. A lot of things I do are stereotypical, and a lot of the things I do are definitely not, so good luck trying to cram me into one.
    Lady Vrindi of the Shining Sea of Waves of the order of the Long Haired Knights!
    www.theravenandthelotus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindi View Post
    I totally ignore people who try to fit me into stereotypes. A lot of things I do are stereotypical, and a lot of the things I do are definitely not, so good luck trying to cram me into one.
    Same here! Im quite feminine but there are quite of few things I like that wouldn't be considered feminine like archery, parkour, being totally anti heels, running around in the woods or mud barefoot, etc. We are who we are and I think people should learn to not expect a certain personality, likes, dislikes, and morals because of how they look. A big pet peeve is when people think woman should be the classic feminine.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

No, but honestly I let people have their assumptions and don't go out of my way to confirm or deny unless directly asked. I'd rather remain a mystery.

Type
    2a/C/iii

A long time ago on jury duty, during juror selection, I was dismissed by the prosecuting attorney. Both the prosecution and defense can dismiss a certain number of jurors without stating any reasons. The prosecution undoubtedly thought that I would side with the defendant.

That was a rare instance in which I was happy with a long-hair stereotype.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Objectified?
    Honey, I have red hair. I've been objectified all my life.
    And that was without length.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.