Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry ends after color

Length
    ?/?/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Dry ends after color

Hello...some of you may have seen in my earlier thread that I got some low lights put in my hair (over dyed and bleached hair). I really love the new toned down color but of course with every good there is a bad. . As you may guess from the title it's my ends. They are dry, velcroy and crunchy. I'm really hoping this is only a temporary condition due to new color. Anyone have any suggestions on treatments? I've already loaded them up with coconut oil and my hair is going up in a sock bun for our Mother's Day dinner outing. . I took 1" inch off the ends yesterday so I'm really not looking to do another trim so I'll have to baby them back to life somehow. Thanks for your suggestions!!

Default Re: Dry ends after color

Olive oil works for me!! I color my hair and my ends feel great!! As a matter of fact...I am doing a hot oil treatment right now!! Today I have added castor oil and a little shea butter to the mix! I will leave it on for hours while I do my house work!!! My hair also loves cones!

BTW Just looked at your album, your hair is lovely!
    Last edited by honeyblonde; May 13th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.

In my ivory tower

Type
    1c/F/ii

I'm sure it's just temporary, while coloring hair isn't the best thing for it you can make a very good recovery in the initial two weeks after the process depending on how damaged the hair is.

After my last color, I made sure to use leave in conditioner daily and oiled my hair every 2-3 days. Avoid washing with shampoo daily because this will only continue to dry out your ends. I clarified my hair once a week at this point because I used so many cones from leave in conditioner. By the end of the week my ends were just as velcro-y if I didn't clarify. If you try a similar routine (no matter what it is, just make sure to treat your hair with TLC) you'll notice a big difference within a couple weeks. Just remember it is more than likely a temporary feeling, so try not to get too scissor happy

Length
    ?/?/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thank you both so much for your replies! I'm kind of crazy about the health and condition of my hair (even though I color) so when it gets even a bit dry I freak! I could try a leave in. What do you use? I don't have any on hand here. I'm working all week so my hair will be up so I'm not worried about a little greasiness. I'm pretty optimistic about a full recovery at this point so not getting any scissors out yet. .

Type
    1c/F/ii

I use one made by Neutrogena, I believe it is called "smooth as silk." It works best on wet hair right out of the shower, and I'm pretty sure it's coney though I never took a look. I chose it because I often have good experiences with Neutrogena products.

For a serum, I have been using this one for 3+ years and never had a complaint with it! Also a coney product. I've used so many serums by more recognizable brand names and they just have this really weird feeling to them, while this one doesn't weigh down my hair at all, and definitely gives it a smooth and healthy feeling (might be enough to detract from the "freaking out" we're all familiar with while your hair is repairing).

The last time I did my hair, I seriously freaked out, too. I was actually shocked at how fast it improved, and it even feels better than it did before, so I do believe a full recovery can be made! After the chemical dying or lightening, the hair is so clarified that there is barely anything to it so it just a matter of moving the oil down the strands and retaining moisture (imo).

Hope this helps! If you can't find any product you love, just do your best to stay away from heat and oil it up!

Type
    1c/F/ii

I should add, every time I use the serum, I do blowdry it on for best results. I am not well-versed with it as an air drying product, but since you list your stats similar to mine, I can say airdrying with this serum makes it somewhat stringy. I always use low heat, but that is how I got best results through the process.

However the leave in conditioner I mentioned is wonderful for airdrying. If you apply it and comb your hair in front of a fan, it works just as good as a flat iron.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

While damp, oil the ends lightly with baby oil and dry as normal ... I have that happen to me as well and that's the only thing that works for my hair Good luck
    ..: Amethyste ~ The Manic Panicked Thereminist :..
    www.soundcloud.com/amethyste

Length
    ?/?/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!! So many things to try, wow! Thanks to the coconut oil my hair feels so much better already!! . This is the first time I have gotten to use it since I just received it in the mail on Friday. It's amazing!! My DD really put my poor hair through the wringer yesterday, brushing with a paddle brush while wet (I made her stop and get a wide tooth comb), blowfrying (she insisted...what we do for our kids!), and coloring. I'm not planning on washing for a few days and letting the oil do it's magic while it's up and protected. I really panicked when I awoke to crunchy ends this morning. Thanks for the encouraging words. No one else would understand. Thank goodness for my LHC family!!

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

When I colored my hair purple I had dry hair and I used a cheap leave in conditioner. I'd say try using a leave in conditioner daily like I did.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    ?/?/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueline101 View Post
    When I colored my hair purple I had dry hair and I used a cheap leave in conditioner. I'd say try using a leave in conditioner daily like I did.
    Thank you, Jacqueline. I definetly need to pick up a leave in since I don't have any handy here. I'm so much happier now than I was this morning, though. Phew, that was a fright!