Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almond Oil?

Length
    14"/24"/36"

Default Almond Oil?

Hi everyone,
    If you have used it, will you please tell me your experiences with almond oil? I am trying to stay away from leave-in conditioners and wanting to take a more natural route; the scent of coconut oil is too strong for me. Any input is appreciated ^_^ thank you!

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Almond Oil?

Hi, I like sweet almond oil- it's nice and light. There are quite a few threads on it- it seems to be popular-
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ghlight=Almond
    I have read that it doesn't penetrate into the hair shaft like coconut or olive oil but it's good for sealing in moisture. Hope that helps!
    ETA: If you don't like the smell of coconut oil, the refined stuff doesn't smell
    Last edited by furnival; May 13th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

I love almond oil as a leave in. It leave my hair smooth and soft. But it doesnt really help in styling my hair, so I use aloe vera gel first and then a little almond oil in the ends. I also started used a recipie someone posted (I forgot who) about mixing aloe vera gel and coconut oil. I tried this and I love the results. Plus I dont smell the coconut oil this way.

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Almond oil is great for "slip" and easily washes out of fine hair. It's a light oil that I mix with
    small amounts of heavier oils. Almond oil doesn't heal or penetrate the hair, but it is great for alleviating tangles and knots.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I prefer argan, tamanu (this smells like leather and butter pecan ice cream --probably too smelly for you), avocado, and rose hip seed oils over almond.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Almond oil is a lot like olive oil, with similar fatty acid content, and penetrates about as much. (not as much as coconut oil but more than jojoba or mineral oil) Almond oil has no smell, unlike olive oil, however it's more expensive and not as readily available.

I used to use almond oil, but now I use olive oil because it's always available in my house (and other houses) and since it gets used for cooking, gets used faster and is less likely to go rancid.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    26/32/37ish
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I use Sweet Almond Oil in hair masks. My hair is fine, so I have never used it as a leave in. As long as you don't use a lot it should work pretty well. For hair it's not as thick as any other other oil I have tried. It soaks in faster. I really love the stuff.

I also replaced my sons baby lotion with Almond Oil and I use it instead of lotion now too. I've really been trying to take the natural route and limit the chemicals I expose my son (2 years old) to this year. Especially after looking up his old baby lotion on Skindeep.org .... Almond Oil works so much better, I'm glad I switched. Anyways, if you end up hating it for a leave in you can always find a different use so it doesn't go to waste..

I'm using some almond oil that I got in the cooking oils section at Whole Foods. I store most of it in the fridge because I worried that it might go rancid if left at room temperature for a long while. It seems fine, though I think I liked jojoba oil just a little bit better (not enough to spend the extra it costs, though). I add a little lavender essential oil to the small bottle of almond oil I keep in the bathroom.

Length
    14"/24"/36"

Thanks for all of your responses, I'm gonna try it out. TiffanieJean, good point about being able to use it for other things.

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

My Sweet almond oil mix is amazing, I use it as a leave in as a replacement for my old silicone serums and my almond oil is mixed as a 2:1 ratio with coconut oil (coconut oil having the larger proportion) and I find that this mixture works well for me (as otherwise its too heavy). I can see the difference in the bottle where the almond oil is far more viscous as coconut oil is a solid in the bottle until I drop it in a jug of hot water, thus more suitable for fine hair imo. Give it a try and if you don't like it then, welll.. There's plenty more oils in the sea (haha?) X
    Last edited by LadyHazel; May 13th, 2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: sp
    WAIST LENGTH CHALLENGE FOR 2013! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=95025
    A true lady always says her pleases and thank yous.