Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Being super fine will I be able to grow long pretty hair?

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Default Re: Being super fine will I be able to grow long pretty hair?

I sure hope so. I'm growing my hair out whether I like it or not, though.

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Thanks for helping to explain that, Torrilin, when I was away from the computer! DrQuartz, I don't think you got my meaning there.

I'm def not superfine, but still can't decide if it's fine or rather medium, with a 10.5-11 cm pony (I measure different each time).

And I still don't know if I will be able to grow it long, I mean, with a healthy hem. Not just like a tenth of my thickness, say, at hip, because it already started to fairytale at MBL and I don't know what to do. Let's just say that I'm very skeptical that I can make it.

In any case, good luck with your endeavor, I hope you can make it. Based on your avatar, it would look awesome!

PS: I can't open your pictures.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    CBL/WL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Thanks for all the responses! I have never been able to get past bsl due to it starting to look real ratty looking and despite its health it just wont look "nice" because it has no thickness. I am working on the pictures, I dont know how to post them in the thread!

Length
    26/32/37ish
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Yes, you can grow it long. It just takes longer. My hair is fine as well and I get a lot of split ends, regardless of what I try to do to stop them. Shedding tends to be a problem for me as well (My postpartum shed was a little traumatizing). The thing that has helped the most is hair masks. Jojoba oil and Castor Oil specifically. Both have very good benefits, especially for damage prone or thin hair. I've been using the Castor Oil for about 4 months and have noticed a lot of little baby hairs growing. The Jojoba oil is wonderful for strengthening and locking in moisture. I have a post for both Oil's on my LHC blog with a ton of info if you want to know more about how they work.

Length
    24.4/29,5/31
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I think there are several type of "thin" hair.

There is this very glass-like hair that's smooth and even, although thin in circumfence.

Then, I think maybe the most common type, alas slightly more "dryish" and with more body.. someone could call this 1b

Maybe the most unlucky is very fine and dry, prone to electricity and breakage..

I think this might be the most defining issue weather you'll be able to reach waist / tb lenght :/

I'm myself mixture of fine, medium and (some) coarse hair. No one in my family I know has ever had waist or waist + lenght hair. Therefore I think it will be challenging for to reach for example tailbone. Not that I think it has occurred to previous generations to focus on hair growing, but I think that not to have at least one laissez-faire long hair relative could also give you some quidelines whether you're prone to growth or not.

Not sure if I answered your question really Fundamentally, as they say in my country: who lives, shall see

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

When I joined LHC it was because I suddenly realized my hair was getting rather long for the first time ever and I had better take care of it. People here inspired me to try some different products, and among other things I moved to a more moisturizing shampoo. My scalp is oily and I had always used products emphasizing removing oil. My rather fine hair looks thicker and healthier with more moisturizing products, leading me to think that all this time I've been too harsh on it. I still have to shampoo and condition every day because of my scalp, but I only shampoo the scalp.

This is an unnecessarily long-winded way of saying: Try more moisturizing products, especially as you say you wash frequently. Also, henna makes my hair thicker and healthier, but consider the color aspect carefully. Maybe cassia would be an alternative. Good luck to you

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ZeppHead View Post
    Thanks for all the responses! I have never been able to get past bsl due to it starting to look real ratty looking and despite its health it just wont look "nice" because it has no thickness. I am working on the pictures, I dont know how to post them in the thread!
    It sounds to me like a better description of your concern is you're afraid your terminal length is super-short, and that your hair will start to fairytale because you've hit terminal sooner than you wanted.

Your hair isn't "unhealthy" or "ratty" or even "terminal" because your ends are starting to fairytale. It merely means that some of your hairs grow faster than your average growth. This happens to everyone if they choose to trim their hair very rarely. But most of us aren't going to suddenly hit terminal because we choose to stop trimming our hair for 6 months. If that really did happen, there'd be a lot more LHCers at terminal, let me tell you! And I'd be one of em... and I assure you I'm not.

If you currently go 6 weeks between trims, you can probably go to an every 3 months trimming schedule with no issues due to split ends or uneven growth. If you're gentle with your hair, every 6 months is almost certainly doable. Not every fine haired person can go no trims or one trim a year. Some can, but I don't think most of us are that good at being gentle with our hair to start out. That's fine. You don't have to cut out trimming to grow long hair.

Heck, quite a lot of my growth has been with trims every 6 weeks. My hair grows pretty fast, so I can trim often and I still see a lot of growth. As an adult who pays for her own hair appointments tho... not so much frequent trimming.

Length
    5/11/MBL

i was waiting for that...I see people in LHC who go for 1 yr or more without trimming. I was wondering how other finers do with this.

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by constructamane View Post
    i was waiting for that...I see people in LHC who go for 1 yr or more without trimming. I was wondering how other finers do with this.

I can, go 6 months but at 9 its ratty on the ends. I fairytail at BSL. No sure what terminal is on me but Im hoping for mid back lenght.
    Last edited by Silverbrumby; May 15th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Hair September 2015