Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Duchess of Cambridge "elaborate updo" - I've seen more impressive on LHC

Length
    22/32/blah
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Re: Duchess of Cambridge "elaborate updo" - I've seen more impressive on LHC

This isn't elaborate?? I could never do something like this! Have a little respect for people like me who can't even do French braids right unless they keep up the practicing. The style does look a bit messy and skewed, yes, but at least it's staying up. If you would call it "amateurish" you have very high standards. Of course, it's much easier to do it on someone else, so you have to allow for that too.
    The part I can't understand is why they had to do anything to her hair besides comb it beforehand and hairspray it after. Why are you going to curl someone's hair if it's just getting put up? That's dumb, IMHO.

Length
    buzz/sl/wl
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Duchess of Cambridge "elaborate updo" - I've seen more impressive on LHC

Whatever, I think it looks stunning. The dress and earring are gorgeous, too. I just love the whole thing and I love her.

She looks like how I wish the girls on the red carpet would look, or how I wish I could look.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by terylenerose View Post
    . Why are you going to curl someone's hair if it's just getting put up? That's dumb, IMHO.
    I suspect that the bun is actually just pinned up curls, though I'm not entirely sure.

At any rate, if you're going for a soft, romantic bun it often does look better if you curl it first, because straight hair will look too sleek and neat, and I don't think that's the effect she was going for.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    15/22/36
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

I personally think it is elaborate because I can not make intricate buns and braids. My hair is no where near as nice as hers.
    That dress is gorgeous.

Length
    23/32/??
    Type
    2a/F/ii

She can wear anything and look stunning... The updo is quite nice it suits her and the style, but yes, it could have been a bit more in the middle and without showing the pins. However, I agree that it is elaborate. And that dress! Wow!
    Lady Aglaea of the Cascading Falls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I love it! Looks pretty!

ON MY WAY TO WAIST

Length
    4/Tailb/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

It's quite nice and I think it may give women with lOng hair in the UK the inspiration to dare to wear their hair up. The sad thing is I remebr Di growing her hair out when she was PG with Harry and trying to go this route and pwople were so negative she ended up cutting it back into the lady Di she made so famous. If anything in retrospect it showed how much she was dependent on people's opinion ; I quite liked her hair long.

What does make me laughis princess Anne has always worn her hair up the majority of the time andnone goes ape over her! She always got my respect because she never made excuses for herself even when the press would catch her swearing up a storm!
    Lady Morla, Keeper of the Songs of the Celtic Wind of the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ~Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I love this. I think I'm going to have to try it and do it myself

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by terylenerose View Post
    The part I can't understand is why they had to do anything to her hair besides comb it beforehand and hairspray it after. Why are you going to curl someone's hair if it's just getting put up? That's dumb, IMHO.
    A lot of hairstylists find straight hair very slippery to work with, and they don't actually know how to put it up without "texturizing" it. That's hairstylist-speak for curling iron and hair spray.

On some kinds of straight hair, this does actually improve their odds, which is why they keep doing it.

On fine hair like mine, it really doesn't do much for the tendency to spit pins. So if I have a hair stylist do anything "fancy" on me it's a plain French braid, because I know from experience that they don't have to do anything with heat to make it stay. I can take care of turning it into a "real" updo after.

That's why I'm not criticizing the Duchess's hairstylist for having pins show. If you use poor technique for a given hair type, pretty much anyone's hair will spit hair toys. No matter how good a job you thought you did, poor technique shows. And since she basically never chooses to wear her hair up... the poor stylist never gets any practice to develop good technique.

I'm really hoping she liked this updo and will repeat it fairly often for evening or hatted events... that way the practice effect can kick in, and when we finally get to see it under a tiara, it'll be amazing .

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

I think it looks very elegant. I can't do this style with my hair, but it's something I would do on a friend's. I'm guessing that it requires a lot of bobby pins and ... hairspray...? I'll skip that last part.