Thread: I wonder....

Length
    CL/SL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default I wonder....

So to make a long story short... I changed my hair again. After a lot of experimenting, I really just want my natural colour back. So I bleached out my henna (its in overall okay condition, considering) and its light but pretty reddish still. I had toned it with a ashy dye but then I lightened (soap cap) it again (Im a dumb dumb 20 year old who likes killing her hair, apparently) and now it just looks brassy, so I was thinking, would indigo, perhaps diluted, help to tone down the brassiness? I have about 25 grams in my freezer and a boatload of conditioner I could dilute it with, but Im wondering if it would be wasteful.... thoughts? Ive cut back to chin, and if the indigo wouldnt work I might just get a pixie or something (Ive wanted to try it and my hair is so frustrating right now Im ready to just be done with it....
    Currently hating my hair

Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: I wonder....

Have you tried a blue or purple shampoo to tone down the brassiness? Or a toner?

grumpy moon princess millyaulait's Avatar
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Yeah, I would second Roscata's comment.

Definitely try an ash/silver toner & blue shampoo first!

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    APL/MBL/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

indigo will bond like mad to damaged ends. You will have very little henna left in reality in your hair now and therefore the indigo which will bond strongly will potentially go yellow/green. Not a natural or nice fake colour at all.

I would advise a toning shampoo or maybe somthing like a veggie semi (Special Effects, Punky Colour etc) in their own toner. The Punky one ( DIrections over here) works really, really well to tone down brassiness. A mate is a hairdresser and she is very blonde and a warm brown naturalls so goes a brassy shade once bleached. She uses the Directions toner.

I would advise lots of oil treatments to help your hair out after you have toned. Alsoyou can apply coconut oil very lavishly to hair and apply bleach on top and it will still bleach at the sam erate, just damages much less. Not a concern for you now but just in case you want to do some crazy hair stuff in the future again ( and being 39 I still do some crazy hair stuff so you have lots of time to do so!!)

Good Luck

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Another one that says no to the indigo. You might potentially ruin your hair! If it is bleached or if there's any type of bleach in what you've used, the indigo will not react favorably. Also, getting an ashy tone with indigo? Forget it! It will either go dark or green/blue.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Well, actually someone at the hennaforhair forum had done that and got ash blonde:

Mixed 15 minute developed indigo with some conditioner, spread it over the light-bright orange bleached chunk. Let it sit for about 5 or 7 minutes and rinsed. BAM! A resulting very cool/ash blonde. Closest is Wella's Nordic blonde. I think I will try this again on another section but use a run of the mill Blue Toner instead of indigo. Neat!
    http://forums.hennapage.com/node/4489 (post #7)

Of course it might be risky to try, as not everyone might get the same results, but anyway, it is possible...

Length
    CL/SL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Ah very interesting. I do have toners and stuff. I was just thinking about it and was wondering what the reaction would be. Thanks for the answers everyone, my curiosity is satisfied for now...
    Currently hating my hair