Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil that expired in 2011??

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Default Coconut oil that expired in 2011??

I bought some things from smallflower.com the other day (amla, shikakai and coconut oil). The oil i got was dabur vatika enriched coconut oil with all these awesome ingredients like brahmi and amla, henna & lemon. But the oil has a date on it that says 08/11.. Now it doesn't say that it's an expiration or use by date though. It doesn't say anywhere on the bottle to use before expiration either. It was completely sealed and unopened, still appears to have the right consistency and smells pretty nice. It is a 300 ml bottle, so even if it's not bad now i'm kinda worried about it going bad before i use it all up. Does anybody know if this actually expires? If it does, how long after the date printed have you guys used oil? Is this date the bottling date? Any and all help is appreciated!

ETA: it says "For MPR Rs (incl., of all taxes), batch & mfd, see below" and below that it says "120.00, PN3565, 08/11" does that mean that the date is the manufacture date?

Another ETA: i feel so stupid, just found somewhere on the bottle that says "expires 2 years from mfd." so that means it expires 08/13
    Last edited by sweetestpoison; May 10th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

~going natural~

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Coconut oil that expired in 2011??

I'd use it. It's probably fine. Are you sure it's an expiration date and not the date it was made?
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    I'd use it. It's probably fine. Are you sure it's an expiration date and not the date it was made?
    I'm not sure =\ i have never used coconut oil before so i don't even know if it expires. Check out the ETA for further details i just discovered

~going natural~

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

If it doesn't smell rancid, it's fine. I've used coconut oil far past the expiration date (years after).
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    If it doesn't smell rancid, it's fine. I've used coconut oil far past the expiration date (years after).
    Yep, same here.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

That sounds like the manufacture date.

If the coconut oil had gone bad(rancid), trust me, you would be able to tell! I've had coconut oil go rancid on me before and, well, it flat out reeks when that happens.

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Thank you all for the answers, they are very helpful! I think it's the manufacture date, but even if it isn't you guys did answer about whether or not it would be ok past expiration date. Sorry for the false alarm!

~going natural~

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Smell it. Taste it. If the taste or the smell is not "off" and it's not growing a garden of penicillin then it's fine to use.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    Smell it. Taste it. If the taste or the smell is not "off" and it's not growing a garden of penicillin then it's fine to use.

Haha idk about tasting, it's not pure coconut oil. It has Mehndi, Amla, Harar, Bahera, Neem, Brahmi, Kapur Kachri, Dugdha, Lemon Oil, Rosemary Oil, Lecithin, Sugandhit Dravyas & Nariyal Tail

~going natural~

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have some very old indian oils and they actually seem to get better with age. I'd use it
    rats spelled backwards spells star