Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin Curled Hair but now What?

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Pin Curled Hair but now What?

I pin curled my hair which is almost WS length for a party and it came to my shoulders, full of curls. I did wear it up in a messy bun and it had lots of texture and any loose ends, were curly.
    That part was fine. My hair curls real easily and definitely gives me a whole new look.

When I unrolled each curl, I gently used fingers to go through each curl, so no tangles.

My my question is, how can I get more days with my curls. It's hard to detangle with fingers but I start out that way. Then I use a wide tooth comb from bottom going upwards in small sections. If I don't do this it looks really messy. My problem is, I have quite a bit of hair fall trying to get it soft looking and free of tangles.
    Here I'm doing a style for curls that I believe is less damaging than applying any heat but the hair I loose is much more than when my hair is in its natural state and I do my regular routine.

Is this something, I should only do for that special occasion? Or would you spray some detangler on and forfeit a little curl?

I washed it before setting it and I only wash once a week. Perhaps I should just CO after that special occasion so I don't damage hair.

Just thought others might have run into a similar problem after first day of pin curls.
    I can't just detangle with fingers. That is hard enough to do with my hair in natural state.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Last edited by Komao; October 7th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
    She foots it ever fair and young, Her locks are tied in haste,
    And one is o’er her shoulder flung, And hangs below her waist

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Pin Curled Hair but now What?

When I pin curl mine the next day I am still able to shape it into a pretty style. Pincurls on me stay like everything and I can carefully brush through them with my tangle teezer and mould my hair into a 40ish type style the next day. Third day on I usually just bun it like normal, enough of the curl has fallen out by then.

I hope that helps.
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I brush my pincurls. I'm gentle and take my time, and seem to get more hair on the brush than normal. I always thought those hairs were loosened by the brush and probably would shed on their own in a few days anyway? I never hear any snapping or feel harsh pulling, so it doesn't bother me. (I lose a lot of hair when I rinse out henna, too; and think it sheds for similar reasons.) I never paid attention, but maybe I'm shedding less on the days I don't brush or manipulate my hair much? Do you suppose it all evens out? Work out a bunch of loose hair on Monday, shed next to nothing on Tuesday and Wednedsay, and work out some more loose ones on Thursday? hmmm...

My hair is a lot shorter than yours, though!

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nae View Post
    When I pin curl mine the next day I am still able to shape it into a pretty style. Pincurls on me stay like everything and I can carefully brush through them with my tangle teezer and mould my hair into a 40ish type style the next day. Third day on I usually just bun it like normal, enough of the curl has fallen out by then.

I hope that helps.
    Thanks Nae, I've been thinking of getting a TT. Heard so many people say they just love it. I just have a BBB and using that would completely take the curl out of my hair.

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Hi browneyedsusan, thanks and it probably does all even out. I just wondered if someone knew a trick so I didn't damage hair at all as I like the style once in awhile. I've been trying benign neglect and been fingercombing mostly for my regular routine. At least, first day I have great curls and I could always where it up, second day and as Nae says, 3rd day most of curl has fallen out.
    I know this isn't the worst hair problem I could have! I just will be as gentle as I can. Do you use a TT?
    Thanks for your help

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Komao View Post
    Do you use a TT?
    Thanks for your help
    no.
    I use a bargain basement vent brush, but my hair isn't long, and is in great shape from henna and no-heat styling. I may change over to a TT when it's longer, starts tangling up, catching on the brush, or I see a split; but my current brush works fine for now.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Bob/31"/Term?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I haven't ever tried this, but it might work, if I'm understanding the question. How about re-pinning the curls up before you go to bed (no more product or anything, just re-pinning them), wrapping your head in a sleep scarf, and unpinning in the morning? That might help preserve the curls for quite a while.

- Saldana (just speaking off the top of my head, because I have the kind of hair that doesn't hold a curl unless it's lacquered with hairspray and not touched at all)

Start October 25, 2020: 24"
    24"...25"...26"...27"...28"...29"...30"...31"

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

browneyedsusan, I want to learn more about henna. I know LHC has lots of info on the topic. I might have to make that a subject I really research for 2014. Your hair does look very healthy and I love the color and what Impressive hair growth you've achieved!

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Thanks Saldana, that thought never occurred to me. That's why I love LHC. Many great minds and knowing my hair, your idea just might do the trick. Thank you

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I don't comb through my curls at all on the first day, only use fingers to arrange them. I preserve what curl I can by making a top of head ponytail for sleep and directing it over the top of my pillow. The second day I use a wide-tooth comb in small sections from the bottom up. By the third day, curls are pretty much gone and I can comb/brush as usual.

Any extra shedding that I notice while I'm detangling I figure were hairs that were naturally shed. I know I'm not pulling hairs out by the roots, and unless I hear a snap! I know I'm not breaking them.