Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going 'cone free

Length
    ???/waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Going 'cone free

Well i took the plunge last week and invested in some sulphate free shampoo and cone free conditioner.

I've used sulphate free shampoos before and don't really like the lack of bubbles but that's something i can deal with.

Cone free, im not sure of, my hair seems fine, a little wilder than usual but it's not tangled and it's certainly shiny so....

How long should i use this product to see if my hair likes going cone free?
    What differences should i be looking for?

Nic
    x

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Default Re: Going 'cone free

For me, the difference was my hair without cones became silkier and smoother to the touch. It also absorbs oils better when cone-free. If I use cones, the oils sit on the surface and look greasy instead of soaking in and doing some good.

I don't know if my experience is normal or not, but that's why I'm staying cone-free.

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

I also notice we're similar hair types. Habe you ever tried or been interested in CO washing? I don't know if your hair needs more moisture or not, but mine certainly likes it.

Length
    APL/HIP/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Cones can build up and like the above poster said...prevents moisture from getting in. They can dry on the surface and hide damage you don't realize your doing. My hair is softer and shiner without cones. I use some argan oil in place of my finishing serum. It adds shine and tames frizz and smooths.

Maintenance trims to grow back thickness

Length
    ???/waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    For me, the difference was my hair without cones became silkier and smoother to the touch. It also absorbs oils better when cone-free. If I use cones, the oils sit on the surface and look greasy instead of soaking in and doing some good.

I don't know if my experience is normal or not, but that's why I'm staying cone-free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    I also notice we're similar hair types. Habe you ever tried or been interested in CO washing? I don't know if your hair needs more moisture or not, but mine certainly likes it.

I've never tried CO washing only, my scalp is quite greasy so not sure how that would work out. I can certainly give it a go, see what happens.

My hair needs lots of moisture or it goes bananas, very poofy and frizzy and difficult to manage.

It's a bit like that at the moment, it's not sitting how it should, but then maybe my curls are more pronounced this way and i shouldn't have brushed it.... I dunno, too many variables!

Kitcatsmeow - I agree with you, it's much softer and it feels smoother too, i might oil the ends tonight to see if i can get it in check.

Thanks both of you for the suggestions and information.

nic
    x

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

OMG, I switch back to cones again because I feel like I get so much hair breakage compared to when I use cones. When I'm cone free I notice more hair breakage mixed into the shedding when I use my coconut oil, is this normal when going cone free?

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

My hair refuses to hold a curl when I use cones and they virtually straighten my hair. That's why I'm mostly cone free (I'll use them occasionally, and if they're in a shampoo but low on the ingredients list)

It's hard to explain but, my hair feels more like HAIR, and less like plastic when I'm off of cones. Don't get me wrong, I like the plastic feel every once in a while, but that's another big difference. Keep in mind, I'm comparing a completely cone-free routine with a super-duper cone routine like with Pantene and John Frieda Frizz Ease serum.

Length
    ???/waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Hint of Mint, your reply made me smile. I'm not a Pantene person however it's TIGI cones and frizz ease and a little EVOO when needed.... from cone to zero in one wash

So i think it's the cone free that's given me puff, will have to remember that and not brush it after next time... i look like a brushed poodle at the minute.... Will give it a couple more washes and see how it fares.

Rowie - I'll keep my eye out for shedding (i do LOTS of that anyway) and listen out for any snaps of hair. I don't want it breaking on me at this stage.

Length
    shldr/tlbn/fgrtp
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I first tried going cone free when I joined LHC about three years ago. It made my hair rough, tangly and dry. So I went back to cones and for the last half year or so I've been cone free again. As I take better care of my hair it doesn't seem to care whether it has cones or not. Cones loosen up the curls and waves and make my hair shinier. No cones makes it softer, curlier, and smoother.
    Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like day. Search me, God, and know my heart...And lead me in the way everlasting. -Psalm 139

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rowie View Post
    When I'm cone free I notice more hair breakage mixed into the shedding when I use my coconut oil, is this normal when going cone free?
    It was for me! My hair loves cones and going cone free was not a good idea for me. Way more breakage, duller hair, tangles galore... it was really bad.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat