Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploding hair!Store bought oil shampoo- will it damage hair?

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Angry Exploding hair!Store bought oil shampoo- will it damage hair?

Naturigin (I think that's how u spell it) has seseme seed oil and olive oil with aloe vera juice, the ingredients are as follows:
    Water, aloe vera juice, ammonium lauryl sulphate,coco.betaine, sea water extract, seseme seed oil, olive oil.
    I got this from a 99p/dollar store so I am worried after one use of it should I discontinue as I have heard about oil/shampoo 'hair explosions'
    Thank you!
    WAIST LENGTH CHALLENGE FOR 2013! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=95025
    A true lady always says her pleases and thank yous.

Default Re: Exploding hair!Store bought oil shampoo- will it damage hair?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHazel View Post
    Naturigin (I think that's how u spell it) has seseme seed oil and olive oil with aloe vera juice, the ingredients are as follows:
    Water, aloe vera juice, ammonium lauryl sulphate,coco.betaine, sea water extract, seseme seed oil, olive oil.
    I got this from a 99p/dollar store so I am worried after one use of it should I discontinue as I have heard about oil/shampoo 'hair explosions'
    Thank you!
    Excuse me. About what??
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I think it was from coconut oil, as it penetrates the shaft when in shampoo. Haven't heard anything with those other oils.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

The oil is very low down on the ingredients list; oil shampoo was in a much higher ratio, often 1:1, and it was specifically with coconut oil. I wouldn't worry about the oil content in most store bought shampoos.

You might find the ammonium lauryl sulphate (ALS) a bit drying though, diluting the shampoo with water might be an option you want to look into if you have trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    Excuse me. About what??
    Here. Don't worry, she doesn't mean exploding as in the bottle acting like dynamite!

Length
    APL/Hip/BCL
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    Here. Don't worry, she doesn't mean exploding as in the bottle acting like dynamite!
    Oh my god, seriously? I just bought a shampoobar from etsy (http://www.etsy.com/listing/84209761...et=shampoo+bar) which has these ingredients:

Ingredients: Sage & Rosemary Hydrolats (Salvia officinalis, Rosmarinus officinalis), Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Avocado oil (Persea Americana), Castor oil (Ricinus Communis), Palm Kernel Oil (Elaeis Guineensis), Sodium Hydroxide, Sweet Almond oil (Prunus Dulcis), Grapeseed oil (Vitis Vinifera), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Organic Neem Oil (Azadirachta Indica), Mustard seed oil (Brassica Nigra), Acacia Concinna (Shikakai) Powder, Emblica Officinalis (Amla) powder, Orris Root Powder, Pogostemon cablin (Patchouli) Oil, Salvia sclarea (Clary Sage) oil, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) oil.

Should I even start using it?

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Sorry everyone, didn't mean to start a panic or anything. Honestly, I think the problems people were having were with the oil shampoo method itself. I doubt using a shampoo with some oils in it as part of a normal routine would cause the same issues. As with everything, YMMV and stop if your hair isn't a fan, but I really wouldn't worry unless you're doing the full method.

Length
    APL/Hip/BCL
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    Sorry everyone, didn't mean to start a panic or anything. Honestly, I think the problems people were having were with the oil shampoo method itself. I doubt using a shampoo with some oils in it as part of a normal routine would cause the same issues. As with everything, YMMV and stop if your hair isn't a fan, but I really wouldn't worry unless you're doing the full method.
    Oh no, I'm glad you brought it up! I've never even heard of it before (but then again I never looked up the oil shampoo method). I was just so glad to find an all-natural shampoo and didn't think it could have any side effects. I will try it out as soon as I've received it, hope it doesn't do any damage since coconut oil is the second ingredient.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Mayflower View Post
    Oh no, I'm glad you brought it up! I've never even heard of it before (but then again I never looked up the oil shampoo method). I was just so glad to find an all-natural shampoo and didn't think it could have any side effects. I will try it out as soon as I've received it, hope it doesn't do any damage since coconut oil is the second ingredient.
    Good luck! If it makes you feel any better, I've used a shampoo which I think had coconut oil as the second ingredient too, it didn't give me any issues.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I would tend to worry about it more if the weather is cooler. Say, if the temperature is warm enough that the coconut oil would stay liquified, then it would seem safer than if the oil would solidify, maybe causing it to expand and rip the hair shaft? Just a theory of mine...

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I got this shampoo as the beauty brains states that it is the gentlest sulphate, otherwise I use coconut deratives in loreal everstrong, but loreal everstrong makes me itchy!

Thank you no scares people!
    WAIST LENGTH CHALLENGE FOR 2013! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=95025
    A true lady always says her pleases and thank yous.