Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I work these things?

Length
    bald!/26/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Question How do I work these things?

Hi everyone!
    I usually wear my hair down, but when I put it up, I use hair sticks or a hair fork to hold it in a simple bun. I've been wanting to try other types of updos, too - ones that don't use sticks/a fork. I have tried using bobby pins to hold my masses of hair up, but they tend to snag my hair and pull it out, which is no good at all. I then thought about using regular hair pins like the ones I remember my grandmother using. These kind:

I figured - and I may be wrong - that they would be less likely to damage my hair. My only problem is that I can't figure out how on earth to use them! I've searched the 'net, and I can only seem to find things referring to bobby pins or hair sticks/forks - nothing about this kind of hair pin. There had to be some kind of trick to using them, and I sure can't figure it out.
    I'd be very grateful to anyone who can explain!

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Default Re: How do I work these things?

Okey-dokey, I'll try to explain how I use them- and I've pinned up my bangs (fringe) this way, too. I take the pIn I'm gong to use, put it over the piece of hair I want held down, turn the pin sideways (with the piece of hair in the pin), go over and then under the hair next to the pin, pushing the open part of the pin towards where it originally was. Does this make any sort of sense? It's actually easy once you've done it once or twice!
    "I stopped cutting it when my true love went off to the Crusades and I vowed not to cut it or talk about it until they get back."
    Quote from Kat's mother, one that deserves to be used over and over!

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Use them the same way you use a stick or fork: Poke straight down to the scalp, tip and catch hair, and push in. If you squeeze the tips together as you push them in, then release, they tend to hold better.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Just like itty bitty hair forks like jeanniet said.

Poke down, collect a little scalp hair, and push in. Only it only works with a teensy weensy bit of hair, otherwise you bend them out of shape or your hair spits them out

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    Use them the same way you use a stick or fork: Poke straight down to the scalp, tip and catch hair, and push in. If you squeeze the tips together as you push them in, then release, they tend to hold better.
    This makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE that what I said! I made it overtly conplicated.
    "I stopped cutting it when my true love went off to the Crusades and I vowed not to cut it or talk about it until they get back."
    Quote from Kat's mother, one that deserves to be used over and over!

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Lol, naw, but I think everyone has their own little method anyway. I know how to put them in, but don't have a lot of success keeping them in for too long. They tend to work out and I have to push them in again.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Oh, make sure you do it so that both ends of the pin touch your scalp, so it ends up oriented on your head the way it would be oriented if it were lying on the table. Don't try to sandwich hair between the two tines like you would with a bobby pin.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    18/25/38
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

My hair eats those for breakfast . If you don't want to have pins showing in your up-do, I highly recommend amish pins. Love them, they are super sturdy and 3 can hold up most buns for me. I bought 2 packs years ago and still use the first few pins I got out of the first pack, they will last forever (if you don't misplace them).

Current goal BSL 27”, longterm goal tailbone 38"
    Avatar is The Moon and the Stars: study for the Moon by Alphonse Mucha

Length
    bald!/26/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Hi all!
    Sorry I'm so long in replying - I had a heck of a time re-finding my post!
    I've tried to take everyones' advice and use the pins like tiny hair forks, but I just can't get them to stay for some reason. I'm wanting to use the pins to hold my hair in a bun, but no luck.
    Eshta, are these the types of pins you're referring to?
    http://www.mennonitemaiden.com/amish...ins-3quo3.html
    I like that the pins at the above link come in different lengths and apparently aren't "bendy" - maybe they'd work better for me. I'll have to get some and see!
    Thank you all for the help - I appreciate it a bunch.

Length
    18/25/38
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Yes, and they are not bendy at all. I even use them in wet/damp buns when it's hot weather.

Current goal BSL 27”, longterm goal tailbone 38"
    Avatar is The Moon and the Stars: study for the Moon by Alphonse Mucha