Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How do you use aloe vera gel and what do you use it for?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: How do you use aloe vera gel and what do you use it for?

It's in the new Lidl shampoo (which is excellent BTW), it's called their "Aloe Vera + 7 herbs" shampoo and I love how this shampoo "coats" my scalp without exacerbating my SD but it keeps it somehow moist enough not to cause *any* flaking around my hairline, and with a lot of shampoos I tend to get that more towards the second half to end of the week.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Resurrecting this thread to ask a question.

What can I use that kind of aloe vera gel for which contains alcohol? I've heard that it shouldn't be used on the hair. Can I use it on my skin, or is it simply bad?
    Last edited by Ylva; September 9th, 2018 at 08:01 AM.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Resurrecting this thread to ask a question.

What can I use that kind of alue vera gel for which contains alcohol? I've heard that it shouldn't be used on the hair. Can I use it on my skin, or is it simply bad?
    That might depend on the type of alcohol, whether it’s a fatty alcohol or a drying alcohol. And how high up on the ingredient list it is. What does the label say?
    Classic stretched, bcl to tbl most days otherwise.
    Unruly mix of 3s.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by JennGalt View Post
    That might depend on the type of alcohol, whether it’s a fatty alcohol or a drying alcohol. And how high up on the ingredient list it is. What does the label say?
    I see. The ingredients are: demineralized water, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, glycerin, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, carbomer, sodium hydroxide, disodium EDTA, citric acid.

I suppose phenoxyethanol is a preservative here. I'm unsure if calling it an alcohol at first glance was even correct? Anyway, there's a bunch of stuff going on there, so I wouldn't mind a more educated opinion on whether this is trash or not.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I see. The ingredients are: demineralized water, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, glycerin, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, carbomer, sodium hydroxide, disodium EDTA, citric acid.

I suppose phenoxyethanol is a preservative here. I'm unsure if calling it an alcohol at first glance was even correct? Anyway, there's a bunch of stuff going on there, so I wouldn't mind a more educated opinion on whether this is trash or not.
    Looks to me like gel containing some aloe vera, rather than actual aloe vera gel! I don't know enough to say whether it will do your skin any good, though my gut feeling is it shouldn't do any harm - water, humectants and preservatives, sounds fairly innocuous to me.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Looks to me like gel containing some aloe vera, rather than actual aloe vera gel! I don't know enough to say whether it will do your skin any good, though my gut feeling is it shouldn't do any harm - water, humectants and preservatives, sounds fairly innocuous to me.
    Would it be okay to use it in hair as well?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Would it be okay to use it in hair as well?
    I would think so. Depending on its consistency, you might need to be aware if it dries, but I'd think it's water-soluble and easy enough to wash off (though in another thread I learned that honey isn't always as easy to wash off as it was for me so YMMV!) I ... yeah, I don't see anything in there that would hurt, but it's impossible to predict how your hair might react to it - just like anything else, sorry
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I would think so. Depending on its consistency, you might need to be aware if it dries, but I'd think it's water-soluble and easy enough to wash off (though in another thread I learned that honey isn't always as easy to wash off as it was for me so YMMV!) I ... yeah, I don't see anything in there that would hurt, but it's impossible to predict how your hair might react to it - just like anything else, sorry
    Okay, thank you very much! I might just add it to a deep conditioner or something like that. It shouldn't be too drastic. I just want to get rid of the product do it doesn't go to waste.

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

If you’re worried about how it might affect your hair, try it on a small section of hair you can hide easily if it causes frizz or breakage or something.

The only ingredient I wouldn’t want in a leave in conditioner is the sodium hydroxide, but that’s a personal preference for me. It’s a base and could raise the cuticles if your hair, which might make it feel rough or dry if you are in a dry environment. But we don’t know what concentration it’s in, and maybe it’s not enough to even have an effect. Or maybe your hair needs that to help moisturize. Try a little and see how it goes

Length
    BSL/WL-HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I have an aloe plant. When I am feeling especially motivated, I take a leaf and scrape the gel. I then use it on my face and I tried once in SMT, but it was too lumpy, so you have to mash and strain the lumps. I like this method at it is all natural and plastic-waste free.
    However, very often I am rather lazy and use the aloe vera that is sold in plastic tubes in Indian/asian shops (Patanjali aloe from Indian shops like this one is pretty good https://www.amazon.com/Patanjali-Alo.../dp/5858697046