Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I desperately want to be blonde...

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default I desperately want to be blonde...

Sooo i'm naturally medium brown but my hair is a bit darker at the moment and i desperately want to go blonde, soooooo bad. Ugh I really don't want to damage my hair but I really want a change and i don't want to go any colour but blonde.. do you think i should just get it done? i'd like it like this colour http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xhXK2X2fFy...r-aniston1.jpg OR like ashley benson http://www.dailymakeover.com/appImag...ec_17_2011.jpg do you think i should just go for it??? xx

Length
    28/33/34
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: I desperately want to be blonde...

It's up to you what you find more important, healthy (presumably long) hair or less healthy blonde hair There are ways of lightening your hair without bleach but with your starting colour I don't think they'll take you that light.
    "I will never be Milo either; nevertheless, I don't neglect my body. (...) In short, we do not abandon any discipline for despair of ever being the best in it" - Epictetus

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

It depends on what your goals are. If you have a dream of long hair (say below armpit-length with a decent hemline), then you probably shouldn't dye it. There are some hair types that can withstand lightening and still grow very long, but F/M hair generally doesn't hold up that well.

If you want shoulder length to APL hair like the ladies in the photos, then go for it.

There are some less-damaging alternatives to conventional dye if you want to lighten your hair just a little. We have had a lot of members here have good results with honey lightening treatments. Some people experienced damage from those, too, so there is risk involved and you probably wont be able to get that medium golden blonde from medium brown.

HTH

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

I think if you really want blonde hair you should go ahead and get it done. Be sure to moisturize and treat it gently when you brush and comb and enjoy your blonde hair.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I say go for it! It's your hair and it should make YOU feel good!

But as others have said - be prepared that not all hair can handle bleach well,so you might have to sacrifice some lenght.

Length
    SL/APL/HL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

i've heard soaking your hair in coconut oil the day before helps protect your hair a little. pretty sure it was ktani, and she has lots and lots of examples. i'm actually doing a strand test with coconut oil right now. (although i'm not going blonde. this dye does have hydrogen peroxide in it though) i'll let you know how it goes!

If that's what you really want then do it!

ON MY WAY TO WAIST

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I totally think you should go for it (and the coconut oil to protect is a good idea, it's supposed to really help minimize damage)
    I can't see any point in having long hair if you're not happy with the color.

Jennifer Aniston has naturally medium brown hair so I don't see why you couldn't get that color on yours.

Ashley Benson's hair (which is dyed lighter than the color it looks in the picture you posted) is heavily highlighted. Her roots are dark blonde and they look fine against the lighter blonde. I love her hair myself.

I would think highlights might be less damaging and a bit easier to maintain than all over color, but a warmer, more caramel color like J Anistons might look better with your brown hair. If that's blonde enough for you.

If you do an all over dye, the roots will be a pain. even if your natural color's not that dark it will LOOK dark against the blonde.
    I speak from experience the other way round, dying my hair darker - the roots are awful and show within a week.

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I struggled with this too for a long time and I wanted to like my natural color so much, but just couldn't (and apparently nobody else liked me natural either) so I went back to blonde. I did use the coconut oil soak and that helped a lot (pics in album) I'm still a little sad that I did do some damage but I like my blonde hair more I'll still do all the good things to help protect my hair and continue to grow it and try and make it as healthy as I can being a blonde.

I think we have to do what makes us happy with our hair. whatever that may be
    Last edited by Rocket22; May 7th, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
    No matter how much you hate your hair someone wishes they could have it!

Length
    Chin/22/Clasc
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I am very happy to read the support you're getting for this!

I really like having part of my hair (the under-part) pink, the brighter the better. Problem is, even though my hair is a dark blonde, the underneath of it is darker (because it rarely sees the sun, I suppose). So to get it pink, I have to bleach it a bit. That being said, I only have to do that maybe 2-3 times a year, and I'm very nice to it the rest of the time

It's true, you have to be happy with your hair otherwise what's the point of it? For some, the goal is totally virgin hair, but for others that may not work, for whatever reason. In the end, it's your hair, do what makes you happy