Thread: Permanent Color Over Semi Permanent...Can I?

Default Permanent Color Over Semi Permanent...Can I?

Okay. I have relaxed hair with some grays. I was wanting to cover the grays with a non damaging hair coloring option, so I opted for black. My natural color is soft black with some gray.

However, the black semi permanent color (
    Dark & Lovely Reviving Colors Semi-Permanent Haircolor Radiant Black 391) lasted all of a 2 weeks, before the grays are showing through.

I can tell there is still some semi permanent throughout, but the grays are practically bare. Plus, I want a more vivid blue black I think anyway. Can I just go ahead and put permanent color on my hair? I know I've heard of many women alternating between permanent and non permanent, using semi's every few weeks to boost color and only permanently dying the roots when necessary. So I have heard of some women using both semis and permanents regularly.

So can I do permanent dye of the whole head and then just maintain the roots, maybe use semis to boost shine every so often thereafter?

I also know that going darker is supposedly less damaging to relaxed hair, so I am hoping just going permanent might be an okay idea for me?

My hair is doing well. I don't want to damage it. I will also use coconut oil on it before coloring permanently. I really want to keep my hair growing healthy, but these grays have got to go. Any advice would be helpful. Even if you know of a good semi permanent blue black that will really, truly cover and hold onto grays for a reasonable amount of time that would help.

If I go permanent, I was planning to go with Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Permanent Haircolor Ultra Reflective Blue Black ideally because I want a more unnatural, vivid black, or possibly Colorsilk Natural Blue Black if I hear bad things about Garnier and have to settle. I used to use Colorsilk browns to lighten several heads of hair ago, and never had any problems with their products. Now that I am trying to grow healthy hair though, I have been avoiding permanent dyes. I relaxed because my natural hair tends to knot and relaxed hair is just easier for me.
    Last edited by daffodil7; May 6th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Permanent Color Over Semi Permanent...Can I?

You can has.

The full answer is that it shouldn't be a problem at all. But for the long run, it would be a good idea to avoid dying your hair too often be it permanent or semipermanent even if it is to boost shine. Both do some amount of damage.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Technicolour Pug Lover pink.sara's Avatar
    Length
    42/26/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

This is what I did to get to my darkest black, I used a permanent black all over and now just top up with semi-perm on the roots to cover greys and only pull a permanent through the whole lot once a year (I use a indola professional colour and a 3% peroxide from a beauty wholesaler) for minimal damage.

In between I keep it blue black by using a violet shampoo (for blondes but great on black for a ravens wing shine) and a tempory manic panic style dye on a bleached streak but used all over.

Hope that makes sense!

Brand New Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by pink.sara View Post
    This is what I did to get to my darkest black, I used a permanent black all over and now just top up with semi-perm on the roots to cover greys and only pull a permanent through the whole lot once a year (I use a indola professional colour and a 3% peroxide from a beauty wholesaler) for minimal damage.

In between I keep it blue black by using a violet shampoo (for blondes but great on black for a ravens wing shine) and a tempory manic panic style dye on a bleached streak but used all over.

Hope that makes sense!
    Yes, that makes sense. Thank you. I will probably touch up my roots with permanent though, because it seems like semi is not going to last very long on my grays. I probably won't re-color the permanent hair with permanent, I'll just keep using semi perms over it once a month or so.

I was also planning to do that trick a lot of those Manic Panic users are doing with taking their deep conditioner, putting a bunch in their hand, then smooshing it with some Manic Panic and using it as half of their dc.

I will probably use the Jazzing blue black or something though because the Manic Panic is just plain black, and all of the folks that seem to have that Morticia type black hair are using some form of blue black. Plain black can easily just wind up looking natural on you if you are not wearing pale makeup, or just naturally pale.

So can any black that is described as natural black. I've even seen that Colorsilk "natural," blue black and it's shiny, yet somehow looks completely natural on people that wear it. I'm going for that unnatural looking black and very shiny.

Great idea on the violet shampoo, to take out the brass. It makes sense. I want to try that except that being black, my shampoo and conditioner regimen is pretty set by hair health. But I can change things up with my leave in conditioners a little bit. Do you think I can use a violet conditioner as a leave in? Don't know if that's safe though.

I already have a protein treatment, and then a deep, I guess I could add violet conditioner to the semi perm+deep blend, but whoa that's a lot. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by xoxophelia View Post
    You can has.

The full answer is that it shouldn't be a problem at all. But for the long run, it would be a good idea to avoid dying your hair too often be it permanent or semipermanent even if it is to boost shine. Both do some amount of damage.
    Hmm, thank you. I thought semi permanents were totally safe if they do not use developer. Like I thought it was safe enough to use weekly. When I say semi perms for shine, I mean totally non-developer ones like Jazzing and the Clairol Beautiful Collection. Do those still cause damage?

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

No. They are stains, not real dyes. No lift is usually safe enough because they don't lift the cuticle. If they have any lift at all/can lighten..., not safe.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil7 View Post
    Yes, that makes sense. Thank you. I will probably touch up my roots with permanent though, because it seems like semi is not going to last very long on my grays. I probably won't re-color the permanent hair with permanent, I'll just keep using semi perms over it once a month or so.

I was also planning to do that trick a lot of those Manic Panic users are doing with taking their deep conditioner, putting a bunch in their hand, then smooshing it with some Manic Panic and using it as half of their dc.

I will probably use the Jazzing blue black or something though because the Manic Panic is just plain black, and all of the folks that seem to have that Morticia type black hair are using some form of blue black. Plain black can easily just wind up looking natural on you if you are not wearing pale makeup, or just naturally pale.

So can any black that is described as natural black. I've even seen that Colorsilk "natural," blue black and it's shiny, yet somehow looks completely natural on people that wear it. I'm going for that unnatural looking black and very shiny.

Great idea on the violet shampoo, to take out the brass. It makes sense. I want to try that except that being black, my shampoo and conditioner regimen is pretty set by hair health. But I can change things up with my leave in conditioners a little bit. Do you think I can use a violet conditioner as a leave in? Don't know if that's safe though.

I already have a protein treatment, and then a deep, I guess I could add violet conditioner to the semi perm+deep blend, but whoa that's a lot. :-)

Violet conditioner is safe as a leave in. It just adds a bit of visual blue to combat red tones. Heck, you can use manic panic blue diluted to hell (couple of drops per bottle) in the leave in or conditioner you already use.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil7 View Post
    Hmm, thank you. I thought semi permanents were totally safe if they do not use developer. Like I thought it was safe enough to use weekly. When I say semi perms for shine, I mean totally non-developer ones like Jazzing and the Clairol Beautiful Collection. Do those still cause damage?
    I am not familiar with those brands. If they say 9 washes or less that is probably better. I've use both Wella and Natural Instincts semipermanents and both would result in some damage and gradual loss of shine. It would be shiny at first, but then while growing out my dyed hair it is pretty apartment to me that the hair was damaged. I think those were 10-26 wash ones.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Quote Originally Posted by xoxophelia View Post
    I am not familiar with those brands. If they say 9 washes or less that is probably better. I've use both Wella and Natural Instincts semipermanents and both would result in some damage and gradual loss of shine. It would be shiny at first, but then while growing out my dyed hair it is pretty apartment to me that the hair was damaged. I think those were 10-26 wash ones.

Hmm. Thank you for that input. The first semi I used was a box type of set like those. The other two brands are typically sold in Sally's and beauty supply store type deals. Manic Panic is supposedly just a vegetable dye and completely safe, while the other two, Jazzing and Beautiful, are one bottle colors. I think they are also called rinses by some people.

They might be equivalent to regular semipermanents though because the manufacturer calls them semipermanent. So, I 'm going to be more careful there, because I was under the impression that semi's were completely safe. But if you can see a difference, I know that feeling. I got it after highlights and other things I did several heads of hair ago. Definite difference. Thanks again.