Thread: I washed sulfate-free and conditioned cone and protein-free for the first time and...

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Default I washed sulfate-free and conditioned cone and protein-free for the first time and...

HOLY COW!! Why have I been on LHC for over a year and not done this sooner? I think it's because I just kept forgetting about this rule on how this is so good for your hair.

I used

Dr. Bronner's Magic Castile soap in Tea Tree
    V05's Tea Therapy Clarifying Vanilla Mint conditioner

First I diagnosed my hair with Whats wrong with my hair? Hair diagnostic tips (thank you) and found out I needed moisture really bad so I clarified with a sulfate shampoo twice and then soaked my hair in olive oil all day in braids and then this morning did the above and WALLA I have a new head of hair.

it's sooooooooo soft and except for the very ends does not feel like straw at all, even my highly damaged hair from dye and heat feels not that bad it's quite soft and nice. I will be doing this combo from now on, no more cones, sulfates or protein

Length
    APL/MBL/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: I washed sulfate-free and conditioned cone and protein-free for the first time an

I am totally in agreement with you here!
    I have trashed my hair this last few months, silly me. Bleaching my lovely shiny henndigoed hair twice ( soap cap) and then adding semi perm Directions Poppy Red, then not liking it so henndigoing again. Then adding black blue Special Effects and finally adding full strength bleach streaks add putting Pravana Vivids red on.

I am now back to henndigo, blacker than I let it go before and defo not getting bored again!! After all the above my hair felt OK, though the ends felt awful, brittle, bunched together, crunchy almost. I was seriously considering getting a big chop.

Then I read on someones post here that pravana has keratin ( hence protein ) in it and somehow stumbled across the Whats Wrong with my Hair post. I needed moisture so I oiled with jojoba and then and for a week now, have been shampoo free. My hair is a-mazing!
    I have micro trimmed the ends, losing 1/4 inch at most and all I can say, like you gogirlanime, is WOW!! ( your words were HOLY COW!!)

Highly recommended!

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: I washed sulfate-free and conditioned cone and protein-free for the first time an

How wonderful that you figured out what your hair needed, gogirlanime! My personal favorite for moisturizing, is giving my hair a good SMT (in fact, my hair is swimming in it right now). And once you have your hair behaving, it will be easier to keep it nice, too.
    For me, SMTs , clarifying, and a touch of oil are the keys to good hair. and when I do other things, like hennaing, or the occasional protein treatment, I almost always follow up with a moisturizing treatment. Even if I can get away with not doing so, I figure that a bit of extra moisture won't hurt.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

[quote=gogirlanime;2111909]HOLY COW!! Why have I been on LHC for over a year and not done this sooner? I think it's because I just kept forgetting about this rule on how this is so good for your hair.

I used

Dr. Bronner's Magic Castile soap in Tea Tree
    V05's Tea Therapy Clarifying Vanilla Mint conditioner

First I diagnosed my hair with Whats wrong with my hair? Hair diagnostic tips (thank you) and found out I needed moisture really bad so I clarified with a sulfate shampoo twice and then soaked my hair in olive oil all day in braids and then this morning did the above and WALLA I have a new head of hair.

it's sooooooooo soft and except for the very ends does not feel like straw at all, even my highly damaged hair from dye and heat feels not that bad it's quite soft and nice. I will be doing this combo from now on, no more cones, sulfates or protein

Hi! Im very curious about the Dr. Bonners Castile soap. I have seen this but its called a liquid soap. Is this what you are talking about? I havent seen an actual shampoo and conditioner anywhere. If it is liquid soap how do you use it? Straight or dilute it? It smells strong and I was afraid it wouldnt be good for hair but I know people on here do use it and love it.

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Hey, I started going sulfate, cone, protein free too and have noticed an improvement in my hair. I still use protein but only as needed, not every time I condition. Gogirlanime-you are so adventurous and full of good ideas!
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by swearnsue View Post
    Gogirlanime-you are so adventurous and full of good ideas!
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by spookyghost View Post
    Hi! Im very curious about the Dr. Bonners Castile soap. I have seen this but its called a liquid soap. Is this what you are talking about? I havent seen an actual shampoo and conditioner anywhere. If it is liquid soap how do you use it? Straight or dilute it? It smells strong and I was afraid it wouldnt be good for hair but I know people on here do use it and love it.
    Yes I use the liquid soaps, this is a picture of the soap I use. I just use a little bit a little less than a teaspoon and wash my scalp every 2-3 days or everyday when I exercise. Your hair gets a nice clean but is left soft especially if you use a nice cone and protein-free conditioner afterward. It does smell strong but after you rinse it it's not so bad.