Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you say?

Length
    Chin/22/Clasc
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default What do you say?

Ok, so I've been waiting to get into the boards, and today finally got all joined up

Anyway, this is the question I most wanted to ask:

What do you say when someone asks you why you're growing your hair long? Especially when you have it up the grand majority of the time?

I don't have some grand over-arching reason, really, so I was stuck last week when my mother asked me "Wow, you're hair's getting so long, why are you growing it if you keep it up all the time?"...I told her "it's just for me, because I like it" but I got the sense that wasn't really a satisfactory answer (not that I owe her an answer, really, but it would have been nice to have one).

As I have had my hair short, in a mohawk, in a punk-sorta-mullet thing, bleached and dyed, I think me growing it out is the strangest thing to her. Well, no, the fact that I wash my hair with eggs is the strangest thing to her .

I guess my reason might be because having long hair (like, beyond waist length and on, not that I'm anywhere near that yet!) is even more deviant than cutting it all off, in some ways, and definitely more challenging. Also, it's nice to have a project of sorts to work on, and it's nice to see the results in something as concrete as hair length and condition. And you can do so much with it. Also, I think long hair is romantic (which may be silly, so I don't see myself telling anyone that as a reason if they ask ).

Anyway, what do you say to people who ask you "why?"

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Default Re: What do you say?

Because you can't do updos with short hair...and at least for me, it doesn't matter how short my hair is, it won't stay out of my face even if it's physically impossible to.

Speaking of the deviancy of longhairedness...how often do you see people wearing anything other than a ponytail, simple braid, or cinna- or sock bun? Wearing it up is deviant!
    Now: widest part of my calf

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Long hair is funner!

ON MY WAY TO WAIST

Length
    15"/25"/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Because I want to, and DH likes it. That's about all I'd say, though I've never been asked. I might add something about it being easier and cheaper, though it might not be any cheaper if I succumb to the temptation of any more hair toys! I've already bought a new BBB, two combs, two flexi clips and a pair of hair sticks. Happy Birthday month to me...

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I say what you did, because I like it that way, and it's way easier to deal with the longer it gets. I just put it on a braid!

Truth is, I like it. Satisfactory or not .

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

I've never been asked that. I guess the people around me either don't care, or think that I like doing up-dos which is why I grow my hair long.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Because it's easy to just put it up and out of the way, and it's even easier to do so with long hair than it is with short(er) hair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Because I think I look better with long hair. Because I have reached a point where I would like to be more feminine. Because it gives me something to do- which is just for me.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by fayeelizibeth View Post
    "it's just for me, because I like it"
    See, I think that's a perfect answer. What else is hair for but to be enjoyed by its wearer?

Length
    chin/SL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I just say I felt like it. No one's commented on the fact that I wear it up all the time yet, but if/when someone does, I'll tell them that it's because I look better with my hair up, and long hair allows for a much greater variety of updo styles. Another advantage of long hair updos over short cuts is that I have about four cowlicks right along my forehead, so long hair is much lower maintenance than a pixie.