Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I finally got heavy oiling to work!

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default I finally got heavy oiling to work!

I have fine hair, so heavy oiling my hair tended to make my hair oily for days, even if I tried to wash it again. So I sort of stopped doing it

But I stubbornly tried this again because I felt my hair needed something extra. And here's what I did:

Massaged in a generous amount of coconut oil in my scalp and length in dry hair. And then left it overnight.
    In the morning I took some cheap conditioner, diluted it with water (not much water).
    And poured it over my dry hair (I would say I used up a few table spoons of conditioner). Then I massaged it in thoroughly until it started to lather. After that I rinsed for quite a while. The reason I diluted the conditioner is because it was easier to distribute in dry hair.

Anyway the result: Incredible shiny and soft hair
    And absolutely not greasy nor stringy!
    I will definitely do this more often.

I think the main reason for this success was that I put the conditioner in dry hair instead of wet. This way the conditioner gets to work the oil out without much water getting in the way first. I think there actually was someone on the boards who mentioned this kind of method.

I wish I had some pictures, but it was three days ago, so it might not look that awesome anymore.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Clrbn/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: I finally got heavy oiling to work!

Yay!

Putting the conditioner on dry hair rather than wet is key for me. The only thing I don't like about doing that is I use way more conditioner this way. Maybe I should try diluting is a bit like you do.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've started a routine of heavy oilings on the nights before I wash. I've been using walnut oil and will change to macadamia nut oil when I run out of that. I'm trying to use up oils I have on hand. I CO it out in the morning. Most of the time I use White Rain conditioners and once in a while VO5. Always on dry hair. It gets my hair beautifully clean but leaves it soft and feeling moisturized. I generally do a long CO soak of at least an hour before rinsing it out.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    13/37.5/termi
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

i have never tried it on dry hair before so now i will! Thanks! Glad it finally worked for you too Fethenwen!
    Lady Primrose~Garden Keeper of the Hillside Warren in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I always put the conditioner on dry hair, as oil and water dont mix and you end up with greasy hair. glad it worked for you. I did a heavy oil myself and bunned it and went to work with it in and its completelly soaked in, doing the same tomorrow.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

The middle of My Forest, where fairies dwell.
    Length
    17in/tb/50in
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I am glad that you go it to work for you! It does leave hair wonderful afterwards doesn't it?

............ ....... ....................

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Ah, hah! Another finey here, I thank you for this! <scurries off to once again try deep oiling>

~Proud member of the Renegray Gang~

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

wow, that method sounds interesting. I'm going to try it! I like the idea of doing a CO soak of an hour before rinsing it out. I bet that could make all the difference. I don't do heavy oilings as frequently as I should because I don't want to have to shampoo, co, etc so much and lose so much hair from the process. I hope that will be the solution to my heavy oiling problems of tons of hair loss and greasy hair!

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I always put the conditioner on dry hair, as oil and water dont mix and you end up with greasy hair. glad it worked for you. I did a heavy oil myself and bunned it and went to work with it in and its completelly soaked in, doing the same tomorrow.
    Oh @ me! I never thought about oil and water not mixing! The lightbulb just came on

I sometimes heavily oil my length and bun for the day. Use a wooden stick or fork and see how it shines when you take it out.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    16/32/32
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

This sounds good! Do you think that olive oil would work for this (its what I have around the house) or is coconut better?
    Golden Medium Blonde hair w/highlights
    16/32/32 <--- holding at my goal!
    1aFiii