Thread: Henna hair

Default Henna hair

My hair is quite dry due to the henna I use. Been putting heaps of oil in as of late but when I do this it goes oily, then when I wash it it goes frizzy. Can't quite get that happy medium going! Any suggs? (suggestions that is)

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Henna hair

I find that if nothing works on my ends, I have to get them trimmed.

That said.

Have you tried the SMT treatment with conditioner, honey and aloe?

Have you tried different kinds of oil? Every oil is different and for example while coconut works for me it might not work for you. What about baby oil?

Good luck finding that ultimate solution!
    One stitch at a time ...

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I put straight henna on my roots then with the leftover henna I mix in a few squirts of cheapy (Suave) conditioner to do a gloss sorta thing on my length. That has helped my dryness problem immensely. I also sometimes put a squirt of oil in with the condish.

It has the added benefit of making it easier to rinse out. I don't know if that will help.

Maybe a SMT would also perk things up? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=128 Here is the thread if you are like me and can never remember the recipe. Good luck.

Also, you might have better luck if you asked in the henna section instead of the new person section. We are glad to have you here by the way.
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Length
    APL/APL/WL

maybe your hair doesn’t like the oil you use , try to use a different kind of oils (one at atime of coure) and see which one will suit your hair type , for me it is pure coconut oil

Type
    3a/M/ii

Welcome to LHC! Do you mix henna with lemon juice, water, or what? I use water and have no dryness problem. With lemon juice, it felt like it was coated with henna dust and took a few days to get back to normal.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Welcome to LHC! Do you mix henna with lemon juice, water, or what? I use water and have no dryness problem. With lemon juice, it felt like it was coated with henna dust and took a few days to get back to normal.
    That's a really good point! I've recently stopped using henna , but when I did, I just mixed it with water or chamomile tea.

You don't need something as acidic as lemon juice. If you're already mixing it with something more gentle - some people do find that henna makes their hair dry, same with cassia. Everyones hair is different.
    My hair doesn't like oil either, and I've tried loads of different ones.

Something I've just started doing is catnip rinses, (I did my second one today) and that's made my hair feel very soft and silky.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GIGiulia View Post
    My hair is quite dry due to the henna I use. Been putting heaps of oil in as of late but when I do this it goes oily, then when I wash it it goes frizzy. Can't quite get that happy medium going! Any suggs? (suggestions that is)
    May I ask what kind of henna you are using?
    I've used henna for close to a decade and I started with Mountain Light (or whatever that brand is). I noticed it fried my hair!! My hair became brittle and frizzy. It was also really grainy and hard to wash out. I switched to body art quality henna and never had an issue with dryness again. In fact, it made my hair silky and smooth.
    So, I wonder if switching brands or types might solve the issue?