Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help with those temple white hairs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default help with those temple white hairs

Hey I"m trying to accept my white hairs with ease, but I just wonder if there is a mystery with the rest of you guys. The ones I have right in my temples, there are only like three or four, but enough to bother me since I have black hair. I henna them, but within five-six days, if I pull my hair in a slick back ponytail, I can see those roots in my bathroom mirror. It's not fair that a dye job doesn't do the job like I thought it would. I don't see roots like that in other people, so i'm wondering, in the real world, do my 5 day-old new roots not show to others, just like the rest of the world. Or do some people touch up every five day.s I just don't understand, I feel like I"m the only one that has their roots showing and I feel the need to henna them once a week, and still by the sixth day I can see them in my slick ponytails. Is it normal, or am I missing out on some hair-secret that people do so that they really can last three weeks without doing a touch up. I would love to not do it that often, but because they shine at me within a week, my self-conscious feels the need. Hope some people can share so I don't feel alone or include me in on the secrets of all those women out there who dye their hair!! Thanks and God bless.

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Re: help with those temple white hairs

My bangs and temples are fairly solid white now yet my back hair is still light brown.Instead of seeing them negatively I try to enjoy them, I like to flaunt my white hairs,I do a half up and roll/twist the sides and catch them in a silver flexi 8 clip.The roll/twist really brings out the different silver/white hair colours.As more white comes in,you have to colour more often, why not try to accept them ,it's much easier,cheaper and your hair will be SO much healthier.White streaks in dark hair can be very sophisticated, so check out sophisticated hairstyles eg.french twist,chignon to play them up!With dye you get the generic dyed all one colour,you will look like all the others that dye,if you let your hair go natural ,you will have a unique colour not found in any box,.Good luck ,no matter what you decide.
    Last edited by dulce; May 4th, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: grammar

Length
    32/42/44
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dulce View Post
    My bangs and temples are fairly solid white now yet my back hair is still light brown.Instead of seeing them negatively I try to enjoy them, I like to flaunt my white hairs,I do a half up and roll/twist the sides and catch them in a silver flexi 8 clip.The roll/twist really brings out the different silver/white hair colours.As more white comes in,you have to colour more often, why not try to accept them ,it's much easier,cheaper and your hair will be SO much healthier.White streaks in dark hair can be very sophisticated, so check out sophisticated hairstyles eg.french twist,chignon to play them up!With dye you get the generic dyed all one colour,you will look like all the others that dye,if you let your hair go natural ,you will have a unique colour not found in any box,.Good luck ,no matter what you decide.
    This really. I am a touch younger than you OP and have/had very dark hair too. I can't be doing with all the stressing of maintenance. I would rather just accept it, my hair is going white so rapidly. I thought it was dark brown with white streaks, but I think I am just about ready to start calling my hair iron or steel coloured instead of dark brown now. People kept telling me that I looked old and that I should dye it. Then I bought some new clothes that I thought were probably too young for me and people have stopped commenting on my hair and keep telling me I look 5 - 10 years younger because of what I am wearing. I am fairly sure it's not just the colour that ages you, but your attitude to it and how you wear it.

Grew from shoulder to thumb length in 7 years without trims. Now maintaining.
    There once was a girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very, very good. But when she was bad she was horrid.

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

My bangs and starting around my temples is fairly solidly white. I am coloring right now (with BLUE none the less) and yeah. My roots are visible within a week. But it doesn't really bother me. No one else is looking at my part that closely, and well. The blue hair's a great distraction.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil

Thanks for your replies. I can see myself accepting this issue, if I were in my sixties, but at 31, it's hard, because no one else I know that's my age, or close, do I see white hairs in them. So I feel kind of embarrassed and ashamed and "OLD!" No offense, but like I said, my age causes this perspective. Thanks for sharing, Becky, about you being 34 and having the same issue, and just you sharing that after a week, yes those roots show, at least i feel like i"m not the only one. My husband says, "yes they're showing, but that's cuz you're super close in the mirror looking for them." It's just me needing to see or know someone else that has this issue, cuz I feel kind of alienated with it right now. If society in general wasn't so vain, about hiding it, I"m sure I wouldn't feel so alone.

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mamaherrera View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I can see myself accepting this issue, if I were in my sixties, but at 31, it's hard, because no one else I know that's my age, or close, do I see white hairs in them. So I feel kind of embarrassed and ashamed and "OLD!" No offense, but like I said, my age causes this perspective. Thanks for sharing, Becky, about you being 34 and having the same issue, and just you sharing that after a week, yes those roots show, at least i feel like i"m not the only one. My husband says, "yes they're showing, but that's cuz you're super close in the mirror looking for them." It's just me needing to see or know someone else that has this issue, cuz I feel kind of alienated with it right now. If society in general wasn't so vain, about hiding it, I"m sure I wouldn't feel so alone.
    I had white start showing up in my mid-twenties. To be honest, I'm pretty fond of mine and am looking forward to it.

...later . I'm still playing with my hair, right now.

Really, don't worry about it. I promise no one else can see them. They aren't looking for them, They're off to the side, and blinding as they may be to you? Yeah. Others aren't noticing. Really.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil

Length
    chin/SL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

You could always poke at the roots with a non-toxic marker to get some peace of mind, since there are only three or four of them. Personally I can't wait to get more sparklies in my hair!

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mamaherrera View Post
    Hey I"m trying to accept my white hairs with ease, but I just wonder if there is a mystery with the rest of you guys. The ones I have right in my temples, there are only like three or four, but enough to bother me since I have black hair. I henna them, but within five-six days, if I pull my hair in a slick back ponytail, I can see those roots in my bathroom mirror. It's not fair that a dye job doesn't do the job like I thought it would. I don't see roots like that in other people, so i'm wondering, in the real world, do my 5 day-old new roots not show to others, just like the rest of the world. Or do some people touch up every five day.s I just don't understand, I feel like I"m the only one that has their roots showing and I feel the need to henna them once a week, and still by the sixth day I can see them in my slick ponytails. Is it normal, or am I missing out on some hair-secret that people do so that they really can last three weeks without doing a touch up. I would love to not do it that often, but because they shine at me within a week, my self-conscious feels the need. Hope some people can share so I don't feel alone or include me in on the secrets of all those women out there who dye their hair!! Thanks and God bless.

I know what you mean, because when I was using henna my much lighter roots would show really quickly and look ashy and weird next to the darker redder color.

There are various "touch-up" crayons and powders you can buy for this purpose. It's hard to match red hair, but I should think it's easier with black. You could also try a little mascara or eye shadow on them. If it's just a few hairs, they should work.
    Remember, lots of people get gray/white hairs really young, it's a genetic thing. It can be a symptom of various illnesses too, but it's NOT necessarily a sign of age!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

This is the reason I stopped coloring my hair! The maintenance is just waaaaay too annoying, and I see roots within a week of coloring! I am so happy that I stopped.

Length
    2/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I have these but I haven't come up with any fabulous solution - but I just wanted to say that you aren't alone in feeling like Dennis Hopper.