Thread: Newbie in Venice Beach

Length
    20.5/23.5/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii

Default Newbie in Venice Beach

I, like so many others, stumbled across this forum, searching for ways to care for my hair. Let me say that my hair has been the bane of my existence since I was a child. I have a skin condition that affects my hair. On my torso and limbs it "presents" as dark, slightly raised pigmentation that runs in lines or wavy stripes (one dermatologist called it linea negra, others disagree. But I digress.) On the palm of my hands and soles of my feet, it "presents" as callouses. And on my head....I have patches of 4/b/c hair.

Up until 6 weeks ago when I found this site, I thought the curly part was just out of control kinky and frizz. Now that I am CO washing and oiling with coconut oil - it's actually beautiful curls. Unfortunately, that knowledge does me no good. Since there is no rhyme or reason to the curls (some under my canopy, some on top) I haven't yet figured out a way style it without using a flat iron. I only use it after I wash it - once it is straightened, it almost blends with the rest of my hair, which is 2b.

On the positive side, in the last six or seven weeks, I have started CO washing and using coconut oil and found out my hair adores being oiled. I have stopped using the L'Oreal Feria box dye that I have used for 15 years and switched to Clairol Beautiful Semi Permanent and Manic Panic Fuchsia Shock. I am consistently taking my vitamins and supplements including biotin, MSM and silica and eating healthy. I now wear my hair in a braid at night and sleep on a silk pillowcase (although had the pillowcase - silk is amazing!)
    And I tossed my plastic hair brush and use a bbb and detangle gently, of course, with a wide tooth comb.

After doing all of this, I am happy to report that my hair is much healthier and grew 3/4 of an inch last month - I started April 1 at 20.5" and now at 21.25", just shy of apl.

Wow, that was a long post!! I actually just wanted to pop in a say "hi"....and thank you.

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Newbie in Venice Beach

Welcome to LHC! It sounds like you've got a good start on improving your hair condition! Keep up the good work.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15/18/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Welcome !!!!

Jade
    Sl-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-CL-MTL-KL-AL-FL-TL (WHO KNOWS WHEN I WILL STOP)

(NO TRIMMING 2012)

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Oh, I love Venice Beach. I envy you living there! I have gotten some really cheap and beautiful skirts there in the past. Got my first and second tattoos there too!

Length
    20.5/23.5/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii

Thanks for the welcome! I just have to remember that it is a journey and have patience - so not my strong suit!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)