Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thicker Henna Paste, More Color Saturation

Length
    shdlr/~Clsc/FrTp
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Thicker Henna Paste, More Color Saturation

I thought it was worth sharing that I have been using Jamila on my daughter's dark brown/soft black hair a few times and I notice a significant difference in color depending on how much liquid was added to the powder. A few times I put too much liquid....rough estimate would be 2 cups warm tea to 100 g henna powder. The color was very obtained in these session was a subtle glow of red. A few other times I used about half the liquid so that the texture of the henna was more like a thick clump. This color was much, much more noticeable and bolder. Her friends have described the results in the sun as having 'hair that glows like a fiery demon'...lol.

Hopefully that helps someone in deciding what to do.

Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Re: Thicker Henna Paste, More Color Saturation

I use three times as much water as powder, and half the powder is henna. That seems to work best with the root shooter, and it gives a pretty consistent color with sparkles and glow in the sun.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    bsl/chin/tlb
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

When I used to henna I made my mixes a little on the runnier side only because I had a lot of hair and not a lot of money and I was trying to make sure my whole head was covered haha! But if I ever do go back to henna I will definitely keep this in mind

Length
    shdlr/~Clsc/FrTp
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I use three times as much water as powder, and half the powder is henna. That seems to work best with the root shooter, and it gives a pretty consistent color with sparkles and glow in the sun.
    Very glad to hear it!

I also make my henna paste runny and have had absolutely no problem with color uptake, and I have tons of grey. I make it runny because it is easier to apply on my roots and easier to spread on its own under the plastic wrap. I also add Amla powder, one table spoon. Maybe that is why it gets quite dark, because when I don't use alma I notice more orangey tones to the color.

Length
    20/20/35
    Type
    1b/F/ii

thanks for the tip. i'm doing my first ever henna as soon as my hair finishes air drying. i already mixed it last night, but i will make sure it is extra thick next time
    Starting over, again.
    /20/20.5/21/21.5/22/22.5/23/23.5/24/24.5/25/25.5/26/26.5/27/27.5/28/28.5/29/29.5/30/30.5/31/31.5/32/32.5/33/33.5/34/34.5/35/35.5/36

Length
    21.5"/40.2"/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I wouldn't make it too too thick, or apply it to completely dry hair. Just incase there were some henna newbies wondering about this. If you apply thick henna to dry hair, it will suck the moisture right out of your hair and dry up, even if you cover it well. Then you have to get your hair out of semi-hard mud ball. I lost a ton of hair the first time round.

My best advice with henna, because I have dark brown hair that is color resistant as well. Mix it thick, but apply it to damp hair.
    1b/F/M/iii APL~BSL~MBL~WL~Elbow~Hip~BCL~TBL 40" Finally!

Length
    shdlr/~Clsc/FrTp
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ladylowtide View Post
    I wouldn't make it too too thick, or apply it to completely dry hair. Just incase there were some henna newbies wondering about this. If you apply thick henna to dry hair, it will suck the moisture right out of your hair and dry up, even if you cover it well. Then you have to get your hair out of semi-hard mud ball. I lost a ton of hair the first time round.

My best advice with henna, because I have dark brown hair that is color resistant as well. Mix it thick, but apply it to damp hair.
    I did forget to mention that it is applied to towel dried hair.

Length
    20/20/35
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ladylowtide View Post

the directions say "totally dry hair" which i did and it's quite a mud ball. i hope i can get it out. yikes!
    Starting over, again.
    /20/20.5/21/21.5/22/22.5/23/23.5/24/24.5/25/25.5/26/26.5/27/27.5/28/28.5/29/29.5/30/30.5/31/31.5/32/32.5/33/33.5/34/34.5/35/35.5/36

Length
    19/24.5/29
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i

Sorry but I have to disagree about applying henna to dry hair. I always do. It washes out easily. It never dries up. I add a spoon of olive oil and I mix my henna into yogurt. I only leave it on for an hour and a half.

I definitely agree about the amount of liquid changing the colour saturation. This happened with me too.