Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair growth and traditional foods (Paleo/primal/WAPF)

Length
    15"/25"/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Hair growth and traditional foods (Paleo/primal/WAPF)

Does anyone here follow a Paleo/Primal/WAPF (Weston A. Price Foundation) type diet? Have you noticed any hair changes?

I've been transitioning slowly to a WAPF-style diet (emphasis on raw milk, grassfed proteins, healthy fats, fresh veg, traditionally prepared grains, nuts and beans, cultured foods, natural sugars in moderation, etc). I started this journey three years ago and have enjoyed the path so far. I've noticed a few excellent side effects, like weight loss, gradual disappearance of my hypoglycemia, and thicker, stronger fingernails.

I have only recently realized that my hair has grown thicker and longer than ever before in the past two years. I was wondering if it's simply an effect of careless neglect, or if it is related to diet.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Hair growth and traditional foods (Paleo/primal/WAPF)

No difference in my hair at all. My fingernails have always been uber-strong. I do feel better eating this way, but sadly I have also had some major shedding anyhow. I don't think the shedding is related, probably just a natural hair cycle, but it sure would have been nice to have thicker hair growth!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

I think the recipe I got for bone marrow soup was from a paleo website. It was about boiling marrow bones for long periods of time to make soup stock. Calcium and other trace minerals are leached out of the bones and are very nutritious.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I am halfway transitioned to raw paleo, but have not been doing it long enough to notice anything.
    I still eat some not so great foods, but that is because a) I am breastfeeding and don't want to detox through my breastmilk, so I go very gradual b) I have to be very careful NOT to lose weight. Thats why I added raw butter to my diet even though it would fit the primal diet better.

However, I did notice not being sleepy at all anymore. I usually never feel rested in the morning and now I often feel too rested too soon
    Someone on another forum noted it is the fat from the butter.

My auto immune diseases also have bettered and I don't need medication right now. I originally quit them towards the end of my pregnancy so I can breastfeed and now it turns out my levels are okay.

Length
    15"/25"/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    No difference in my hair at all. My fingernails have always been uber-strong. I do feel better eating this way, but sadly I have also had some major shedding anyhow. I don't think the shedding is related, probably just a natural hair cycle, but it sure would have been nice to have thicker hair growth!
    I forgot to mention the pregnancy hormones, I have fantastic pregnancy hair. Now that my littlest has begun weaning, I'm shedding quite a lot. It's so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by swearnsue View Post
    I think the recipe I got for bone marrow soup was from a paleo website. It was about boiling marrow bones for long periods of time to make soup stock. Calcium and other trace minerals are leached out of the bones and are very nutritious.
    Yes, we've eaten a lot of bone stock this winter, I started getting into making it and having soup each day. The first time I made some with enough gel to set up firm in the fridge I was stoked. Apparently gelatin is supposed to be great for the hair and nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Emichiee View Post
    I am halfway transitioned to raw paleo, but have not been doing it long enough to notice anything.
    I still eat some not so great foods, but that is because a) I am breastfeeding and don't want to detox through my breastmilk, so I go very gradual b) I have to be very careful NOT to lose weight. Thats why I added raw butter to my diet even though it would fit the primal diet better.

However, I did notice not being sleepy at all anymore. I usually never feel rested in the morning and now I often feel too rested too soon
    Someone on another forum noted it is the fat from the butter.

My auto immune diseases also have bettered and I don't need medication right now. I originally quit them towards the end of my pregnancy so I can breastfeed and now it turns out my levels are okay.
    That is amazing! Wow! Congratulations on getting off your medication. I love how clear-headed and energetic I feel nowadays. I wake in the morning with the energy to get up and make the kids breakfast with a minimal coffee input and I feel like I'm winning.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I believe my hair grows faster when I eat more meat, but that's even with a college-student-cafeteria type diet.

I am experimenting with Paleo, but it's mostly to keep my figure and not feel so damn hungry in the process. That's one good thing about Paleo, you're never starving, even when you're not eating a ton of calories.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

My hair became finer on the paleo diet. (Individual coarse strands started to grow in medium or fine.) For a while I had lots of shed hairs that were part coarse near the end, and part fine near the root.
    I have been on the paleo diet sine December 2009 and plan to continue it pretty much permanently ... it had tons of health benefits for me.

Length
    15"/25"/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm so fascinated by these accounts. I wish I had paid more attention to my hair in the past.

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

nerdymomma

Yeah, more energy is unbeatable! So funny this fixed it for me when years back I was wondering if I have chronic fatique syndrome

Btw. pregnancy hair:
    Mine was 'less good than usual' during pregnancy and I had a shed starting 4months postpartum, lasting until April '12.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Funny, I was just noticing that I have a significant halo of regrowth all over my head of about 4 inches. (They suddenly became noticeable today because we are having a very humid spell and so it's all fuzzy and sticky-uppy.)

I thought for a second, hmmm, my hair grows about 1/2 inch a month so that sure seems to correspond with...yup, went primal last fall. I'm shocked. There's a lot up there!

Go protein!