Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Toy Trends that Annoy You

Length
    17/30/trmn
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Hair Toy Trends that Annoy You

Okay, so I do most (if not all) of my hairtoy shopping in stores. Mostly the mall and occasionally places such as dollar stores and stores like Walmart, Target, etc.
    I've noticed that nearly all headbands have those flowers or some other doodads stuck to them.
    Barrette invariably have rhinestones.
    Don't get me started on feathered this and feathered that.

On some people those flowered headbands can look cute, on me - they make me feel like a 6 year old. No me gusta. Plain, adult-looking headbands can be found, but it's often in a sea of fake flowers.

I typically don't have anything against rhinestones, but I am not a pretty, pretty princess. I don't need bling bling on my head. Especially not bling that falls out after a while, or snags my hair. Finding a decent barrette without fake gem on it is nearly impossible, especially ones not made out of plastic.

As someone who grew up with ducks, I know they aren't the cleanest of creatures. Also, where are those feathers coming from? Birds don't molt the feathers a designer would want on command. So... are birds just killed for the feathers? That's my main concern. Where do the feathers come from? Are feathered clips and extensions the fur coats of the hair accessory world?

Another thing that annoys me is when I do actually find hairsticks in stores (next to never now) they're made of plastic. I snap those in my buns. Even the wooden ones.

Length
    shldr/tlbn/fgrtp
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Hair Toy Trends that Annoy You

Quote Originally Posted by Elistariel View Post
    Also, where are those feathers coming from? Birds don't molt the feathers a designer would want on command. So... are birds just killed for the feathers? That's my main concern. Where do the feathers come from? Are feathered clips and extensions the fur coats of the hair accessory world?
    I believe that those feathers are from birds (usually chickens) that have already been slaughtered for food.
    Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like day. Search me, God, and know my heart...And lead me in the way everlasting. -Psalm 139

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Or they're fake. I've only bought one hairstick pair in a store, and that was Claire's. Now, I can't find hairsticks anywhere but online.

The only hair trend that really bugs me is everyone bleaching their hair blonde. Do we all really have to look the same? For the record, I have nothing against natural blondes.

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large

Length
    16/22/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

OH MY GOSH!! Don't get me started haha.. there was a time where for a cute hair accessory claire's at the mall was the place i'd go. Now everything they have seems to be made for 6 year olds or 16 year olds wanting to look cute like 6 year olds.. Everything has gigantic bows on it and a ton of fake glittery flowers! I blame zoeey deschanel >.> haha just kidding. In all seriousness though it can get annoying when you know what you want and can't find it anywhere because everywhere has the same crap that you're trying to avoid.

~going natural~

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Feathers come from molting which birds do yearly or from slaughter with the meat going into the food chain for either people or animals. Going to depend on feather type. Pheasant feathers are a huge business to hunters in my area. Peacock feathers are produced better after 2 years old, so there should be more benefits to using natural mooted feathers. Chicken feathers are mixed, basics are slaughter, special hackles and tails are in adult roosters and can take a few seasons to mature into good feathers.

To me, it's not feather industry is same as fur, but more similar to cattle - some are kept for benefits, some are dinner, you also then use the hide.

Mine depend on what I want. Basics to dye, that's from meat chickens. Spotted or striped or curly are natural molt.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Well, there are some that annoy me - I don't like feathers, either - but not the flower headbands - that's one trend I just adore (and only recently discovered), what a lovely hippie summer look! Flowers in your hair and all that... This is the kind I mean (couldn't find a better photo to illustrate this, sorry):

I want one myself for the summer
    Last edited by Rosetta; April 30th, 2012 at 03:51 AM.

Type
    1a/C/ii/iii

I like cute stuff just as much a next but the bows and the fake rhinestones bother me too. I don't really like the feathers either.

Also, what's with the neon these days? I walk into Ardene and I hardly know what to look at since everything is so bright or sparkly/blingy...

In fact, it bothers me so much that I don't buy anything there these days. Nothing's to my taste anymore...

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Well I don't care what other folks wear, but I am annoyed that pretty much anything I can find in person around here is just cheap plastic schlock.

I'd like to see a trend for quality, not just in hair toys. I'm dreaming I know...

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Calling them "toys" annoys me no end.

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii