Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Toy Trends that Annoy You

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair Toy Trends that Annoy You

I used to wear a banana clip back in the day, and when I'd ride in the truck between my two guy friends (because we all know that two hetero guys can't sit next to each other on a bench seat ), they'd always joke that if my Retention System malfunctioned, I'd take them both out with a single blow! (and this was way before the whole "wardrobe malfunction" thing!)

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by luxepiggy View Post
    I call those "hair notions" . . . same idea as sewing notions, KWIM? Small but necessary odds & ends that are primarily functional/utilitarian in nature (^(oo)^)v
    Piggy wins. Now they are Hair Notions.
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by XcaliburGirl View Post
    I agree about Bumpits. I thought about buying one as a joke one time when it was on clearance for $2, but I couldn't bring myself to waste the $2.
    Disclaimer: English is not my first language.

I saw these "Bumpits" mentioned for the first time in my life in this thread....I read the word, puzzled over it a bit, and then I must confess that I wondered what the heck "Bum-pits" were! I mean, how does a bum have a pit, and why would one want one for their hair? Armpits, I know, Knee-pits as well...but Bum-pits? Never!

Then I googled. I feel silly now

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by luxepiggy View Post
    I call those "hair notions" . . . same idea as sewing notions, KWIM? Small but necessary odds & ends that are primarily functional/utilitarian in nature (^(oo)^)v
    'Hair notions'; I like that.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    2''/APL/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I like banana clips.. I actually own one but I never wore it in public (when my hair was long). I thought it looked good especially with braid waves but at the same time I wasn't sure if it was "socially acceptable". I know. I should just wear things I want even if they are weird. I am just learning to do that.

I am not really annoyed by anything. I just wish that they would sell hair sticks in here. I have only seen some plastic ones and they are rare too.
    1b/F/ii
    Started from a very short pixie at April 2011

Length
    15"/25"/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
    Actually, I dont like it either, but everyone else here calls them that, so to fit in so do I ... In danish I just call them hair things.
    In conversation I also say hair things. In my head I think of them as 'bits and bobbles'. I also really like luxepiggy's suggestion. Hair notions. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by zombi View Post
    Oh, yes! I don't like those feather things at all but they proved so popular last summer -- I'm wondering if I'm going to be seeing them all over again in a month or two!

I'm often annoyed by how... childish a lot of hair accessories look, to me. I want classy, plain things! But they're not as popular in my area and not as commonly sold. So I tend to shop online, and even though, I don't go in for a lot of hair accessories. I don't have that many!
    I'm with you. I want something classic and classy looking. Pretty much everything I can find in a shop is either too damaging, too flimsy, or too childish!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post

My lil' desk friends. (sorry about OT!)
    Love! *faints*

Oh - and I too hate the silicone grippy stuff. The other day I was looking for a simple bobby pin and saw they are now making entire ponytail holders out of silicone. Yikes! I'd have to cut it out of my hair. What a nightmare. I think half the garbage sold in shops is designed by envious bald men. It's the only logical explanation!

Length
    25.5/37.5/45.0
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Like someone else here mentioned, my first thought on seeing the term "hair toys" was ... well, more in the adult toy area. You know those awful mind images you get, instant flashes, and I immediately saw a d**** used as a hairstick and found myself laughing out loud.

I've gotten used to the term, but I just can't bring myself to use it in real life, because to this day that first image always pops back into my head

So for barrettes, metal-free hair bands, bobby pins, etc., I simply clump them together as generic "hair stuff." For my beloved hair sticks, ficcares, ketylos, and other artisan items, I call those my "hair pretties."

And I'm with many of you in agreeing that the stuff you find in stores nowadays is just not for me. I'm a 54 year old Granny, and I'm not into feathers, rhinestones, and generally gaudy stuff. At my age I like classy things, more natural and mature looking items, items of timeless beauty, and hair pretties that carry a certain dignity in their lines. I've looked, but I can't find things that I like anywhere but on-line. Thank the stars for credit cards LOL!
    Last edited by Topaz; May 3rd, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    I used to wear a banana clip back in the day, and when I'd ride in the truck between my two guy friends (because we all know that two hetero guys can't sit next to each other on a bench seat ), they'd always joke that if my Retention System malfunctioned, I'd take them both out with a single blow! (and this was way before the whole "wardrobe malfunction" thing!)
    Even worse. Try imagining a banana clip in crimped hair (yes, those little crimps that were so popular in the eighties). That was so me at the time.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neneka View Post
    I like banana clips.. I actually own one but I never wore it in public (when my hair was long). I thought it looked good especially with braid waves but at the same time I wasn't sure if it was "socially acceptable".
    Shock! Your have the same hair type as me and you got banana clips to work?

I bow to your superior updo skills.

Although thinking about it, I might have been able to get those to stay put with hairspray

Length
    2''/APL/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MsBubbles View Post
    Shock! Your have the same hair type as me and you got banana clips to work?

I bow to your superior updo skills.

Although thinking about it, I might have been able to get those to stay put with hairspray
    I usually put it in my hair when I had braid waves and at that time I washed my hair with a different method and (this is kind of gross) all that waxy sebum probably helped me. My sebum is very waxy and makes my hair stiffer than it usually is. Maybe that was the key.
    1b/F/ii
    Started from a very short pixie at April 2011