Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooibos + Henna?

Length
    18/28.5/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Rooibos + Henna?

I want to try mixing my henna powder with rooibos tea.

Anyone else do this?

I'm hoping for a redder dye!
    "Be like G-d and don't look for people's shortcomings and weak points. You will then be at peace with everyone." -Rebbe Nachman

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    APL/APL/trmnl
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Rooibos + Henna?

I most recently hennaed my hair using very concentrated rooibis tea as the liquid, and it came out orange as usual. I'm going to put a Fudge Paintbox Red Corvette dye over the top of my henna, it's a semipermanent veggie dye that doesn't damage. This girl told me that's what she uses to get this red, except it's my guess she used the Paintbox Cherry Bomb: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ctureid=100606

Gimmee all the goats!!! GoatLady's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/TBL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Well, I just hennaed using a mix of lemon juice and rooibos tea with my henna powder. It seemed to make the dye take better on my grays. Otherwise it's the same usual orange red henna color.

Hurray! I've reached tailbone length! Last trim 1-2-23.
    Lady Roxanne,Keeper of the Caprines 🐐in the order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I'm actually about to try it next week... Message me then and I'll tell you how it went!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    22 in/25 in/34 in

Yes, I tried that when I did my first henna. I mixed the henna powder with a very strong tea made of Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Vanilla Red (Rooibos, natural French vanilla flavor and vanilla bean) and Black Cherry Berry(Hibiscus, rosehips, roasted chicory, blackberry leaves, hawthorn, natural black cherry flavor with other natural flavors (contains soy lecithin), chamomile and sweet cherries). It still had the orange henna flare. I don't think you can escape that. But it did oxidize to a lovely coppery red. And the rooibos is supposed to be really good for your hair.
    Now a brunette again and still wishing for an inexhaustible hair toy/product fund.
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin

Length
    30,7/37/43
    Type
    3a/C/iii

Me too, I'm trying right now a mix of henna and concentrated rooibos tea... I hope to reach a deeper shade on my black hair

Length
    17/47/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I haven't done a full henna yet, but I use a really strong rooibos brew to mix up the henna for my glosses, and in my experiments. I don't think it makes that much difference colour-wise, unless you make a super strong brew, and boil it for ages to make it super concentrated. I might have have an experiment with that, because I would love more red. Rollins tea also seems really nice and calming to my sensitive scalp, so I use it a lot in my hair-care routine. It seems to be good for my fine hair.
    Lady Tigereye, Keeper of the Striped Shadows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18"/27"/35"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I mixed henna with rooibos tea once. I didn't notice it being darker/redder then usual. For me, it depends on what type of henna I use and their stain.

Length
    17/47/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I'm back with experiment results! I tried an experiment with three batches of hairbrush hair, one of which I used henna mixed with hot water, the second of which i used henna and rooibos tea, and in the third I used henna aswell, but I made up a large batch of strong tea, the boiled it until there was about 1/5 of the original amount(now very concentrated) and used that hot in the mix.
    As dye release with hot liquid with the jamilla henna I use is very quick, I applied immediately, leaving about a cm of hair at the end uncovered to show the original colour of the hair, covered with plastic and stuffed them in my pocket for 5 hours. I rinsed, then used a little cone free condish before leaving to air dry.
    All the samples are almost exactly the same colour, allowing of course for the natural colour variation found in hennaed hair.
    The reason I think rooibos makes no difference is that it dissolves in water. Even the lightest hair shows very little colour difference in the rooibos experiment thread. I have found that rooibos tea stains on furniture, mugs etc. can be shifted with just a wipe of a damp cloth, no matter how long it's been there. I just don't think the rooibos stain remains after the rinsing process.
    Last edited by tigereye; August 7th, 2011 at 04:32 AM.
    Lady Tigereye, Keeper of the Striped Shadows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    30,7/37/43
    Type
    3a/C/iii

I tried to mix rooibos and henna (zarqa). I'm satisfied with it, I got the dark, rich colour I was looking for, but I don't know if it dues to rooibos or to the fact that it has been oxidating a whole day and that I kept it on my head all night long...

I'll try again and I won't be so patient, just to see what's going to come out