Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! (baking soda + ACV)

Length
    13/28/35
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Default PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! (baking soda + ACV)

Hello, Im new here. I mainly got this account because something horrible is happening. I tried out the "no-poo"-method with baking soda and ACV, but stopped just recently (after about a month). I had to quit because my hair was looking horrible. And NOW I've been starting to lose my hair. It's falling off like never before, and I'm so scared. I used to have really thick hair, but now it's down to half of what it used to be. I've got an appointment to check my blood values in a few days, but it feels like I'll be bald before, haha. I have no idea what to do. Has this happened to anyone else?????

Length
    chin/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! (baking soda + ACV)

Just curious... is your hair falling out at the roots, or is it breaking off?

Hope you get good news at the doc!

Length
    buzz/pixie/pixie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Whoa. Stop using this method now.

I'd also read about it on the Internet but made my hair TERRIBLY dry after about three washes. If you're trying to go no-poo, I'd suggest CO-washing (conditioner only). There are threads about it on this site.

For now, I'd begin by giving you hair as many deep conditioning treatments as you can. Stay away from baking soda, it should only be used as a clarifying agent once in a while. Unfortunately I can't give you more advice because I haven't seen your hair and I'm also not a doctor.

Good luck with your appointment, and hair.

Length
    buzz/pixie/pixie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

^Sorry, double-post.

Also, if this is a scalp issue rather than a hair one, there are also threads on here that can help you dealing with it. Welcome to the site.

Length
    pixie/pixie/??

Quote Originally Posted by longhair666 View Post
    Hello, Im new here. I mainly got this account because something horrible is happening. I tried out the "no-poo"-method with baking soda and ACV, but stopped just recently (after about a month). I had to quit because my hair was looking horrible. And NOW I've been starting to lose my hair. It's falling off like never before, and I'm so scared. I used to have really thick hair, but now it's down to half of what it used to be. I've got an appointment to check my blood values in a few days, but it feels like I'll be bald before, haha. I have no idea what to do. Has this happened to anyone else?????
    Are you using baking soda and vinegar at the same time on your hair? Someone here said that the combo can actually dissolve hair. Please be careful. Hopefully others will chime in soon. Good luck...

Length
    28/28/52
    Type
    4a/4b/M/iii

I just say NO to baking soda. It makes my hair terribly tangled and dry. Did your hair just start randomly falling out, or is it that it was more difficult to detangle, so you might have pulled hair out while combing/brushing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazycatlady View Post
    Are you using baking soda and vinegar at the same time on your hair? Someone here said that the combo can actually dissolve hair. Please be careful. Hopefully others will chime in soon. Good luck...
    Yikes!

Length
    13/28/35
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, it's randomly falling out from the roots

Yes, I was using vinegar and baking soda.

I should have listened to my mother when she told me not to do this FML

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

I used baking soda mixed with my sulfate free shampoo only once to get rid of build up...which it did. My hair didn't suffer...but there is no way I'd use it more than once in a while for that method. I would only do it if I can actually feel a lot of build up on my scalp. How about using a sulfate free shampoo if you need to shampoo? I agree with C/O as well especially for your hair.

Follow my hair journey on tumblr
    http://jensnaturalhairjourney.tumblr.com/

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

The most using baking soda and vinegar together will do is cause some mild redness and irritation on your scalp, and dry out your hair a bit. When they are combined, they produce a sodium acetate salt, water, and carbon dioxide. I don't think that that is what is causing your shed, but it could exacerbate any other issues you're having.

In general, long-term use of baking soda and vinegar is harsh on the hair. Baking soda strips the cuticle and raises it, which opens it up to damage. The acid (vinegar) rinse you are meant to do in order to flatten down the cuticle again, and neutralise the soda.

This raising and lowering is thought by some to, over time, damage the hair shaft. A soap-based cleanser could have a similar effect, as soap is also basic (like baking soda).

I would recommend that you return to your previous cleansing method, if it was successful for you, and get your thyroid, iron levels, etc. checked for any problems.

The other possibility is that you're having a seasonal shed.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I've used BS with great success, but in very small amounts (1/8 tsp.) mixed with conditioner, followed by a citric acid rinse. If you were using BS and vinegar together (at the same time), that would cause a chemical reaction that could have damaged your hair but I don't think it would fall out by the roots. Examine some of the fallen hair and see if you can see the root (bulb). That will let you know if the hairs are falling from the follicles or being broken at the scalp. In any case, I'd change my wash method, and reduce washing as much as possible until you have a better idea of what's going on. Maybe try gentle COing (conditioner only). I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!